feeling frumpy in clothes

Options
while i am still not at goal (very close), i feel very frumpy in my clothes that fit nicely at a solid 10 pounds heavier (above and beyond any fluctuations). I don't want to get rid of them because what if i gain the weight back? It is mainly skirts and dresses (I don't wear pants). I bought jeans that fit me now. I guess getting rid of the big clothes means i am really committing to this new life.

Replies

• dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you're really close to goal, I would wait until you get to goal until you go out and buy an entire new wardrobe. Go get a few pieces now, as you need some stuff to wear of course, but I would brows the clearance racks and stuff for the time being. Great job losing weight! You want your clothes to be getting looser :)
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the old clothes. New clothes that fit you will make you feel better and they can be an "early warning" system that you might need to get back on track. If you WANT to stay at the size you are now, stay at the size you are now. Reward yourself for your accomplishments.:flowerforyou:
  • rosemary98
    Options
    thank you. I have only started incorporating exercise into my weight loss. I will never be very muscular, but will some muscle toning affect the fit of my clothes because I understand there may be some weight gain resulting from muscle toning.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm at the same place you are. My pants fit ok, but I notice they are getting bigger and are very baggy and unflattering in the legs- this is only at about 8 pounds lost and without much exercise. I'm really excited b/c I'm reminded every time I put them on that I'm on the right track. However, I do have those days when I feel huge and I really like having my these bigger feeling, comfy work pants to "hide" how I think I look lol. I would keep a few pairs of pants/shirts that you have but also buy a few pieces that fit well now until you reach goal then go reward yourself with a new wardrobe. :) and congrats on losing!!
  • dancephysics
    Options
    thank you. I have only started incorporating exercise into my weight loss. I will never be very muscular, but will some muscle toning affect the fit of my clothes because I understand there may be some weight gain resulting from muscle toning.

Generally, muscle takes up less volume than fat, so though you might weigh more, you would actually be physically smaller.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Every 10 pounds or so, I would buy one or two new pieces that I felt awesomely skinny in - usually from Marshalls or TJMaxx. Then when I hit goal I opened up a Talbots credit card and went nuts! LOL. I got rid of all the big stuff except one or two of the one size up jeans.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree that a few new things help with motivation. But that gets expensive too. With my better quality clothing (e.g. work clothes, dresses etc) I'm planning to see a tailor to get them professionally altered.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    yeah, there may be only a couple of items I own that would be worth the tailoring costs unfortunately.
  • runitskat
    Options
    Forever 21 was my best friend while losing weight. When something cost $10 it's easier to justify donating it once it doesn't fit.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, im down to 2 pairs for wearable jeans that fit me and im refusing to buy new ones till im at goal weight, i cant justify spending £15-£30 on jeans that I will use for 3 months and will have to replace.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    one new thing you should get - get a new bra! make sure you get professionally fitted. That will help you feel great.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    one new thing you should get - get a new bra! make sure you get professionally fitted. That will help you feel great.

Agreed. Wearing correct fitting underclothes makes a big difference. If you're not sure about getting rid of some of your clothes buy a clear Rubbermaid tote and store them for a little while.