C25k going on to C5k to C10k

Options
Hello!

I've just got a quick question, I'm currently doing the C25k. I'm coming to the end of week 8 and my natural thought is to go onto the 10k programme.

With the C25k I find these last couple of weeks, I am doing all the run but I do have a 30 second walk or something half way through. The average pace is around 7.5kmph which is a very slow jog. Should I stay on the C25k until I get a better pace, Start the C210k from the beginning or just go straight onto the the 10k off the back of the 5k and start trying to pick my pace up at the end of the 10k by going back to a speed programme?

Any comments greatly appreciated!

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about pace at all! I'm not the fastest runner at all and I managed to finish a half marathon!

But it all depends on your goal. If your goal is speed then stick with 5k, if your goal is a 10k there's no reason to pick up the pace as you want to work on endurance. Since you've already got 5k behind you (so to speak) you probably don't need to start from scratch doing a C210K program and can just start increasing your mileage little by little each long run.

Does that makes sense?
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Start the C210K app where the C25K leaves off. Look for the bridge version of C210K, it's made as a carry over. It's what I did.

As far as pace, the only person you are racing is yourself. It isn't about beating someone else or coming in first. It's about finishing a race and improving on yourself.

:drinker:
  • meskew87
    meskew87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Its l about your goal. Every race I have ever completed I've done with planned walk breaks (and I've done several 5ks, more 10ks than I can remember, and two half marathons)

Personally I love the thrill of adding mileage, and I find 10K to be a fun distance, challenging but manageable. So I would say try the 10k out if it appeals to you. You can always decide you'd rather drop back on mileage and increase your pace later if you don't like the extra distance) Thats actually what I'm doing now because my running buddy husband is way faster than me and hates anything longer than about 5 miles. Both types of training can be fun and are good for your body, so do whatever plan you think you will get the most enjoyment out of!
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Once I completed the c25k program, I didn't do the 10k one. Instead, I found some of the free plans on Runkeeper.com - I started with Running for Fat Loss which I liked- it integrated slow/easy runs, sprinting, fartlek, etc. From there I moved to one of the half marathon plans.

In between, I just sort of added time to my runs. I only walk to warm up/cool down, and added 5 minutes to a workout once or twice a week. Then when I started sort of keeping track of miles, added mile goals instead of time. I'm still pretty slow, but I don't care, I'm getting it done.
  • jmock87
    jmock87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks all so much!!

Think I'm going to crack on with the 10K and then maybe work on my 5k pace.

I honestly think people walk faster than I run! :laugh:

Thanks again, really helpful advice, appreciate it!:happy:
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Thanks all so much!!

Think I'm going to crack on with the 10K and then maybe work on my 5k pace.

I honestly think people walk faster than I run! :laugh:

Thanks again, really helpful advice, appreciate it!:happy:

I finished my first 10K with a 14:04 pace. Horribly slow! BUT, I finished and that was my goal. Speed, at this stage anyway, will come with adding running time and distance. Gains come quickly when starting running so don't stress too much about your times at the moment. they won't be your personal bests for long!

:drinker:
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about pace build on your base add distance and gradually you will be able to increase your pace. Don't worry about taking a walk break lots of distance runners take walk breaks. Congrats on completing C25K