Quinoa Recipes

Options

Replies

• Denise_Valentine
    Denise_Valentine Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I mix diced tomato and cucumber with feta cheese and sundried tomato dressing with quinoa. almost like a greek salad, but I hate olives. lol delicious!!!
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I made a half batch of this apple cinnamon quinoa bake yesterday. My sister and I polished off the whole lot in a single afternoon. Oops!

http://fitness.popsugar.com.au/Gluten-Free-Breakfast-Recipes-Apple-Cinnamon-Quinoa-Bake-32225370 (nutrition stats at bottom of recipe)

When I made it, I used unsweetened almond milk and almost doubled the amount of raisins because I love 'em :tongue: I'll definitely be making it again, although I might try experimenting with different fruit. I'm thinking pears could be nice ... maybe dried apricots ... lots of possibilities!
  • chantelp0508
    chantelp0508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I made the herb quinoa last night. Holy cow, it was waaaay too lemony. I'm going to leave out the lemon zest next time. Other than that, it tasted great with the chicken I made. The whole meal I ate was under 200 calories so I'm pretty excited about that.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    bumping! i think i just changed my dinner for the night :) the taco seasoning, corn and black beans sounds delic!!
  • shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • MrsAFerg
    MrsAFerg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I actually like quinoa for breakfast... a little brown sugar and a little butter... YUM! I also eat it with a can of Rotel diced tomatoes and chiles. Super simple, but tasty lunch.
  • Its_My_Time
    Its_My_Time Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thank you for asking for recipes! I have never tried Quinoa but have had many good things about it. I must give it a try. BUMP!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Boil quinoa in veg stock until cooked. Make quick lemon and honey dressing (tsp honey, oil and lemon to taste) and stir tgrough with fresh spinach leaves. Add shredded grilled halloumi for saltiness and texture. Nom!
    I definitely second the idea of boiling it in broth or stock.

I also like it for breakfast instead of oats.
  • pmuscarello
    Options
    If you have a rice cooker (get a cheap one, mine was $20 on amazon), making quinoa is easy and awesome! I put in:

1 cup quinoa
    2 cups broth (chicken, beef, veg, low sodium, whatever you like)

That's it, let the rice cooker take its 20 minutes to get it to the perfect level of doneness. While that's happening, you can basically throw in any veggies you have laying around to make it into a salad. 2 of my favorites are:

Black beans, roasted diced tomatoes, cilantro, onion, and the juice from 1 lime

Zucchini , mini sweet peppers, roma tomato, capers, and garlic salt.

I just make up a batch, figure out what macro/micro nutrients I'm low on for the day, and add foods in that will help me meet my goals. Like a delicious multi-vitamin!
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I made the herb quinoa last night. Holy cow, it was waaaay too lemony. I'm going to leave out the lemon zest next time. Other than that, it tasted great with the chicken I made. The whole meal I ate was under 200 calories so I'm pretty excited about that.

Oh wow, sure glad you liked it(besides the lemony part)!
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    one of our favs is quinoa stuffed bell peppers. yummy!
  • abrodniak
    abrodniak Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    one of our favs is quinoa stuffed bell peppers. yummy!
    Quinoa stuffed acorn squash.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite make ahead dishes. I never measure the veggies so...use what you like.

Cook Quinoa in Chicken or Veggie Stock - I alternate depending on how I'm feeling.
    Carmelize sweet onions, garlic and red peppers in a little bit of real butter and a pinch of salt
    Add mushrooms, chopped zukes/squash, shredded carrots, chopped celery,etc (whatever veggies you like)
    Cook veggies until they are done to your preferred consistency and then mix with the quinoa.
    Voila! Easy and very tasty.

For protein I will add some chopped grilled chicken or have it on the side. I also sometimes add black beans.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    First this:

Quinoa Tabouli

Tabouli, a mid-eastern salad normally made with bulgur wheat, makes light, refreshing, warm weather fare. Try it with quinoa for a delightful new taste.

1 cup quinoa (if not pre-washed, you must wash it)
    1 cup parsley, chopped
    1/2 cup scallions, chopped
    2 tbsp fresh mint
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 cup olives, sliced
    lettuce leaves, whole

Simmer quinoa in an equal volume of water for 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool.

Place all ingredients except lettuce and olives in a mixing bowl and toss together lightly. Chill for an hour or more to allow flavours to blend.

Wash and dry lettuce leaves and use them to line a salad bowl. Add tabouli and garnish with olives.

Serves 4.

I'm going to add some diced tomatoes and cucumber to this and have it for work lunches with some chicken. Can't wait! Thanks.
  • lynty2
    lynty2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump to try later - thanks :happy:
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    saving

Thanks for the recipes, everyone. :)
  • Samantha310595
    Samantha310595 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Quinoa Taco Seasoning Corn and Black beans sounds yum! Sure going to try it!