HOW MANY SQUATS SHOULD I BE DOING?

Options
Hey, so iv asked this question befor but never really got a straight anwser ...how many squats should I be doing, id like. To see results by this summer, I have weights to squat with, and I no my form is correct, ..just dont no how many I need to do to achieve my gole ...witch is actually haveing a butt :)

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    There is no correct answer. Try varying the ranges-do 3-6 on workout and 8-20 the next.
  • indybost
    Options
    There is no correct answer. Try varying the ranges-do 3-6 on workout and 8-20 the next.
    thanks I figured it vaeryd., I just wanted to make sure I was doing enough, I do 15 now ...but only squatting. Three. Pounds, should I up the weight about every outher week?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    A lot. I do 5 sets of 10 for front and back (with weights). I was doing 5 sets of 10 plies, but had hip issues and switched to a machine. I didn't start with this many, but worked up to it.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The reason you didn't get a straight answer is because there is no definitive answer.

What weights do you have? If you are doing barbell squats, then 3 sets of 5 would probably work best. If you are using dumbbells, then 3 X 10 might be better. Use a weight that makes it hard to complete the number of sets/reps, and go up in weight when you can do them all consistently.

Also: other exercise like hip bridges are supposed to work the glutes really well (possibly better than the squats). Look up Brett Contreras. http://bretcontreras.com/
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    There's not really an answer for your question.

I would recommend that you get on strength training program and follow the guidelines for that. If you're considering heavy lifting, I'd recommend Strong Lifts. If you would rather do body weight, You Are Your Own Gym is good. A progressive loading program will help you much more than a subjective number of squats as determined by us.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. If you're looking to build strength, increase the weight and drop the reps per set to something like 4 to 6. But if you're looking to build muscle size and endurance, then pick a weight in which you can do a set of 8 to 12. If you're looking for both (or just to improve overall fitness), then change it up on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

I agree with LoraF83, that great progress can be made if you look into a strength training program. There are many in which people have had success with ... such as Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, or Jim Wendler's 5/3/1.

Whatever you decide, keep squatting. And I wish you good luck in your progress.
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I downloaded an app that has worked me up to 105 straight (my goal is 250 straight). I hold a 5lb weight in each hand. And vary every 20 the way I use the weight (ie) overhead press, bicep curls etc. You could try something like that if you want to switch it up. I vary the kind of squat I do too. Its really helped shed inches off my thighs. And I actually have a butt! LOL Theres plenty of 30 day challenges online that offer a really great burn. I do an ab/squat challenge sometimes. I just up the squats to coincide with my app.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I do 250 a day and my butt is flat as a pancake so I'm guessing more than that.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    there are books that tell people what weight and reps they should start at and when to increase each. get one of those books. that should get you a booty by summer.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

250 body weight squats??

hermmm- maybe do less with more resistance.

I typically only do 15-25 squats 2 times a week- and my butt is about as far from flat as you can get.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you're considering heavy lifting, I'd recommend Strong Lifts.

This. Just do it as heavy as you can.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've got a mega bubble butt and I'm told it's my best physical asset! Here's what I do:

1 day/week: Barbell squats as heavy as I can for 4 sets of 8

1 day/week: Barbell squats as heavy as I can for 4 sets of 15

I do other leg work too, but squats are what really target this area.

Note: You'll want to be realistic with your goals. I always had a nice round booty, but squatting has made it firmer and a bit fuller. If you have a flat behind, you'll make progress but you'll probably never have a big booty.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Get started on a real program and do what it prescribes. A good start would be New Rules of Lifting for Women. Otherwise you're just going to be all over the place and wasting your time and effort.
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It is not necessarily about number, weight has a lot to do with it too. Also different squats work different muscles. You are also going to want to do more that just squats, also try lounges and glute bridges.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Try doing 5 sets of 5 reps 2x/week with some weight on your back. Your results will be MUCH different.
  • emmalzthompson
    Options
    Its not about how many, but try varying your squats with some deadlifts, and straight leg deadlifts too. also burpees, mountain climbers and google squat variations Also Iso Squat for a min a day :D
  • candiceh3
    Options
    More than last week.
    heavier than last week.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    There's not really an answer for your question.

I would recommend that you get on strength training program and follow the guidelines for that. If you're considering heavy lifting, I'd recommend Strong Lifts. If you would rather do body weight, You Are Your Own Gym is good. A progressive loading program will help you much more than a subjective number of squats as determined by us.

^^^ this. Or Starting Strength (similar to stronglifts but you get a whole lot of really useful background info and you don't get constant emails asking you to join the stronglifts inner circle or whatever it is
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Note: You'll want to be realistic with your goals. I always had a nice round booty, but squatting has made it firmer and a bit fuller. If you have a flat behind, you'll make progress but you'll probably never have a big booty.

Correct, this is true. I lift heavy barbell squats (currently 3 sets of 5 reps at 135lbs) and still have not achieved a "bubble butt."

I'm just not built that way. What I have is tight and firm, but I will never have a big booty.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I once read something Amanda Latona said... "your butt is a muscle, you need to build it".

You won't build a big firm behind without adding muscle (which usually involves eating more....)