Asthma and working out?

Options
I have bad asthma. Not horribly bad to the point of needing an inhaler all the time. However, it's bad enough that when I work out, I find myself gasping for air and my chest tightening in a really tense and uncomfortable way. I've tried breathing a few different ways, but nothing really works that well. So because this causes me pain, I have a hard time finding a work out that is both effective, and doesn't give me a hard time breathing. So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I might be able to work around my asthma? Any good workouts that could be beneficial or tips that I could use to rid myself of the intense pain that I feel every time I break a sweat? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• suzannexxx
    suzannexxx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    have you tried taking your inhalers before exercise? I know if i don't after 10mins i'll be needing mine, but when i do i can exercise for as long as i want with no problems.
  • frenchie3579
    frenchie3579 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also have asthma and need to take salbutemol and seretide twice a day. I work out at the gym 3 or 4 times a week and I don't have any problems - in fact my asthma has improved massively. Suzanne's tip of having your reliever inhaler handy when exercising is a great idea too.

Also, swimming is great exercise - burns up loads of calories, exercises your whole body and is great for people with asthma as it increases your lung capacity.

I would go to the doctors to let him / her know what's happening when you exercise. It could be that your condition needs to be managed differently now you are exercising?

Good luck and take care
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Do you take a preventative inhaler? Or just one when you have an attack? It sounds as if you might need a regular preventative a few times a day which is what I have (Qvar) My asthma has improved since I've started working out regularly, so don't give up, talk to your doctor and see what might work best for you.
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I play squash with a friend that has asthma, he tends to use his inhaler before we start playing and leaves it somewhere visible so that if required either one of us can get to it should he need it but he is the first to admit that since we started playing regularly his asthma has improved drastically.

The only difference I've found between playing him and a non-asthmatic is that it takes slightly longer to play each point.
  • sarrah2903
    Options
    I have asthma and work out 4-5 times a week and find that taking my inhaler 5-10 mins before a work out really helps. I'd also suggest making sure you do a proper warm up also as I've found I can struggle with my breathing If I go full pelt right from the beginning, especially if I'm exercising outdoors.

Like someone else said, may be worthwhile going to your doctor because you don't want to take any chances and they have some really good suggestions to help you manage your asthma.

Good luck! :smile:
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    I also use my inhaler (salbutamol) before working out. Since I started working out in January my asthma has improved so much that I no longer need my inhaler, using it is now more if an option.
  • canbecanbe
    Options
    I have chronic asthma even if i take my inhaler and preventer i end up in hospital 3 or 4 times a year but i found that the more i worked out the the less it affected me even so i stick to swimming and i don't care if i am slow it is better than doing nothing after a while it eases to acceptable but for god sake use your inhaler that is what it is there for and use it before you do anything also go see your doc there is physiotherapy available for asthmatics to help them breath thru the horror
  • xxkayleexbearxx
    xxkayleexbearxx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the advice. Some of it seems helpful. As far as my inhaler goes, I use Ventolin. And I do take it before I exercise, but I still have a hard time breathing. Not nearly as much as I would without it, but my breathing is still restricted. I lived in Las Vegas for 18 years, and I now live in Colorado, so the altitude I'm sure plays a small part, because I don't remember have this many breathing problems before I moved. Maybe the best idea really is for me to go to the doctor, I just don't have insurance and am currently unemployed, so I'm kind of worried about what it's going to cost me.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I didn't have asthma until we moved to Oregon, pollen capital of the world!

My doc put me on Advair (preventative), helps to reduce the inflammation.
    I also use my inhaler before I work out. Haven't had an attack in over a year.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I have it too and during certain times of the year I can't be caught without my inhaler. Advair has helped me greatly. It is a good preventative medication. Yes, going to the doc is going to cost, but this is your airway you're talking about and not exercising really isn't an option, right? If the doc does prescribe Advair, I think you can go to the website and get coupons or maybe even find a reduced prescription fee program. You should at least check it out. Good luck!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me back on advair for daily maintenance and told me to use my inhaler for one pump just prior to starting my workout. I'm finding that as the advair gets totally into my system, that one pump is usually ok as long as I make sure I get a good warm-up in and go directly into my run. Today I did my warm up, then had to start around for a little while because my running club was filming a video for the "It Gets Better" campaign and had some group shots. I had to use it mid-run today because of that.

But yeah... My twice daily advair plus one inhaler pump pre-workout seems to be working well so far.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I agree its a bit of a catch 22 situation. But if you can get a preventative inhaler, then that will help lots. Ventolin is really old hat these days and only should be used in case of an attack. Your asthma should be controlled with a preventative, or a combined preventative/inhaler. So yes, go see your Dr.

As for exercises, walking is a great way to start. Start off slow and build up to walking briskly.

If you can do more than that, then I find aerobics is easier on my lungs than jogging. I think its the starting off slow and the up and down/different pace of aerobics rather than the constant pace of jogging/running.

And of course there is resistance exercise like pilates, yoga, calisthneticis that shouldnt be too much of a problem?

As everyone has said, I found my asthma improves with exercise too :bigsmile:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    1) Check and see if there is a medical welfare program in your State that can help with medical bills.
    2) See your Doctor
    3) the general suggestions were good ...try a "RELIEF/RESCUE" inhaler pre- exercise to open up your airway.....get on a maintenance inhaler (such as Advair ) ....do warm-up exercises/stretches building gradually into main exercise and also cool-down after exercising.....start with small program and gradually work up in time and intensity.....Some of problem is probably due to weight and internal fat restricting airway &/or lungs and with weight loss will improve......it will take time/diligence to improve stamina. .....Do you have a peak flow meter? do you know your numbers/zones? We teach the "STOP LIGHT ZONES" ask your doctor about an asthma ED program....sometimes there are scholarships for these programs.... also some of the drug companies have programs to aid with cost , ask your doctor's nurse .... .....GOOD LUCK/GOOD HEALTH :happy:
  • 2labs4me
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma or COPD.....LOL I have been diagnosed with both so I really don't know what I have... I am on Spiriva which really does help. I find I really only have trouble in the cold weather and on really really humid days in the summer.

I am now without health ins so not sure how I will continue with the inhaler.

I agree with others use your rescue inhaler before exercise and see if that helps.