Tips to eat less

Options
Hi, I am trying to lose 2 stone to meet BMI guidelines and to gain confidence. So far I have been able to cut out all unhealthy snacking and if I ever snack i grab an apple or orange. But I am really struggling to cut down my meal sizes. I was brought up to eat a hearty meal and its just what I'm used to. If I try and give myself a smaller meal, I don't even feel like I've had anything to eat and am starving with in an hour. Any tips on how to reduce my meal size so I can achieve the 1200 calories a day goal.

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I eat high volume, low-calorie foods with my main meal, mostly vegetables. A single serving of protein surrounded by 4 servings of vegetables is a lot of food. A massive green salad topped with a little bit of nuts, cheese, and meat is also a lot of food.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Relying on exercise to create your calorie deficit will allow you to eat more food.
  • justinluck
    justinluck Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have found that drinking plenty of water helps reduce cravings. I like to drink one gallon a day. Just space it out and it won't feel overwhelming. Try to drink two cups worth right before each meal. And what Kate mentioned about vegetables is definitely true.
  • rhoucheille
    Options
    I agree, drinking more water helps reduce hunger. I drink at least a gallon everyday, it may sound a bit hard at first but really its not. I drink 1-2 glasses as soon as I wake up and everytime I pee I try to replace that with a glass of water. It's easier to bring along a tumbler with you or drink with straw IMO. And also try to eat food high in protein but low in calorie and low in GI, like chicken, fish and eggs. If you're craving for something sweet, go for dark chocolates.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Chew your food more and eat slower...seriously.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My tips on how to stay full while dieting:

1. Make sure you're eating a reasonable calorie goal for your size/activity level. Way too many people skip this step and then wonder why they're always starving.
    2. Look for foods that have plenty of protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay fuller and more satisfied longer.
    3. Drink plenty of fluids.
    4. Play around with meal times. Some people do very well with six small meals a day. Others need three larger meals. Some do really well with only one or two meals a day. Meal timing won't affect your weight loss, so find what's right for you.
    5. Patience. Your body and mind will get used to the lower calorie levels (assuming you've followed step 1). Give it a couple of weeks to reset.
  • pastelraindrops
    Options
    Low calorie yet bulky foods really help me!! I find that oatmeal with lots of almond milk is really filling and things like salad and veggies. Also buying the lowest calorie breads like 45 calorie a slice and 90 calories for two is less than most breads per slice. If I eat with things like that I feel i am eating a greater amount . Also always drinking water or tea makes me feel like I'm doing something and have something in my stomach.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Taking a look at your diary, you might also want to consider how accurate your logging is. There's no way that your Old El Paso Enchiladas or Nestle Nesquick Powder have zero carbs, protein, or fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would question if you really need to be at 1200 calories. Since you dont have much weight to lose, i would think it's possible that your goals are too aggressive. Also, if you exercise, you definitely can eat more calories. The biggest thing is making sure you are accurate with counting, which means a food scale should be your number 1 tool.

But also, dropping carbs and increasing fats/protein will improve satiety. Eating lean cuts of meat will give you the best protein/calorie ratio.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Eat slow and savor every bite...paying attention to the flavor, etc.
    Instead of mindless eating you will see doing this, before you know it, you're full.
    And water. I drink about 6 cups a day.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't cut straight to 1200, personally. It'll be a shock, if you are used to eating a lot more than that. Count out, say, 1700 for a couple days, then 1600, 1500 et al. You may find you are meeting your goals without getting as low as 1200.

My "tricks", involve drinking a lot of water (I like 10 cups a day), two daily cups of black coffee, and instead of eating my breakfast as a "meal" I eat the same amount spaced out over 3-4 hours. Like snacking, but it's a meal. My hearty meal of the day is dinner, after I've done my working and exercise and can see the numbers on how heartily I can actually eat. I've sat in front of the TV with a bowl of lettuce, eating that in place of mindless popcorn...I don't recommend it, but it worked for a non-hungry snack craving.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I eat high volume, low-calorie foods with my main meal, mostly vegetables. A single serving of protein surrounded by 4 servings of vegetables is a lot of food. A massive green salad topped with a little bit of nuts, cheese, and meat is also a lot of food.

^^This. Variety is the key for me, also. I need lots of textures and flavors at each meal. I usually eat protein/fat + 2 veggies and/or a 1/2 fresh fruit.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    But also, dropping carbs and increasing fats/protein will improve satiety. Eating lean cuts of meat will give you the best protein/calorie ratio.

This has been my experience, too.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Is there any great rush to lose? If not then setting yourself for a 1lb loss rather than 2lbs will make a big difference to how much you can have to eat.
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Eat slower (chew more)
    Drink a glass of water before every meal
    Use a smaller plate--trick your mind by thinking you are eating just as much as you would on a bigger plate
    Log everything (I didn't check your dairy, you might already be doing this)

good luck!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat fewer, but larger meals. Small meals just don't cut it for me, so I eat twice a day.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat fewer, but larger meals. Small meals just don't cut it for me, so I eat twice a day.

This works too. I eat all my calories within a 2-4 hour window, and I am stuffed silly every time. Might be something worth looking into if you enjoy huge meals like I do.