Sugar is the one category I can't beat!

Options
I'm coming in with half my Sodium maximum, spot on my Protein, keeping Carbs well under the max, and getting plenty of Fiber...

But my Sugar intake is nearly double what MFP recommends!

Rogers - Five Grain Granola, Low Raspberry Almond, 1 cup = 20g Sugar
Liberte Yogurt Parfait W/ Granola (Subway Canada) - Greek Yogurt W/ Granola, 175 g = 23g Sugar

My daily maximum is listed as 36g... So just those two together and I'm over... not to mention bananas, fruit, etc... Yesterday I was 47g over my daily goal of 36g.

Should I not worry so much if the sugar is from fruit, or is it best to reduce all sugar whilst trying to lose weight?

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Unless you have blood sugar issues, I wouldn't be too concerned about going over your sugar intake. MFP sets it very low.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I tend to ignore the sugar on Mfp as it counts fruit as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I only care about carbs, and even then, I don't enter net carbs, so I'm often above my 40% carb goal. Hasn't been a problem at all.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Ignore it. MFP lumps all sugars together so if you have a piece of fruit you're over your limit. Aside from that, your macros really don't matter unless you have some particular health issue or fitness goal in mind.
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    They really get me on sugar and protein. I'm def not concerned about too much protein, as I'm doing some lifting and want the boost. But the sugar level on here is almost impossible to stay below. I mean, I love a big bowl of fruit. And that will send you over. So like everyone says, just ignore it.
  • Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    Options
    I've been frustrated about the same thing! Thanks for posting :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    You could just look at the sugar goal as your "added" sugar goal...which is what I believe the intent was with the sugar goal.
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    ^^^ That's what I'll end up doing.

I do like to see my Fiber intake, that's my favorite.. make sure I get my fiber! Protein as well.

I like to know how much sodium I'm taking in, I know I used to go well over the 2500 limit, now I'm rarely hitting 50% of it. That's one of the main ones that keeps me eating healthy WHOLE foods.

I'll treat the sugar as processed/added sugar only :)

Only problem is, now I have to wonder if the sugar is natural sometimes... I assume my Rogers Granola is added sugar??
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    manage your macros (carbs/protein/fat) and stop micromanaging your micros. Switch it to fiber or something...
  • berwick13
    berwick13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I feel the same thing....I don't eat sweets but fruit alone kill me. Thanks for posting, I thought I was the only one?:wink:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

I do like to see my Fiber intake, that's my favorite.. make sure I get my fiber! Protein as well.

I like to know how much sodium I'm taking in, I know I used to go well over the 2500 limit, now I'm rarely hitting 50% of it. That's one of the main ones that keeps me eating healthy WHOLE foods.

Only problem is, now I have to wonder if the sugar is natural sometimes... I assume my Rogers Granola is added sugar??

The context of most diets/targets/guidelines is a mostly untracked intake. If, for example, you see a target of 24g of added sugar and happen to look at the 2L of Coke you drink every day, you might say "oh sht son that's a lot higher than what I'm supposed to do, so maybe I shouldn't drink that much Coke". And if you cut it down to a can instead, you'll cut out maybe 600 calories/day, and be closer to maintenance intake.

With MFP and macro/calorie targets, you're doing an end run around these proxies. You're getting enough protein and fat, and eating calories that will reduce your weight (or maintain, or gain, depending on goals). You'll meet the intention of the guidelines. You don't need to worry about whether or not the granola is added sugar or not.

If you have a specific medical reason to avoid sugar, that's a different issue.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options

Granola can use anything to sweeten, from fruit juice to cane juice, to molasses, to honey, sugar, agave. You get the idea. Any sweetener in a cereal is an added sugar.

For your Food Diary:

Go to the Printable version (green button on the bottom of your food diary) - the site tracks these on that page by default :

Calories
    Carbs
    Fat
    Protein
    Cholesterol
    Sodium
    Sugars
    Fiber

So, you could pick four other things to track on the regular page and toggle back and forth. That would give you 13 in total.. Sugar will always be on page two...so will Fiber (This is for the Web Version).