Self-Sabotage..... gRRrrrr...

Options
Warning: Vent session in progress....

Ok, does anyone else self-sabotage themselves? What I mean is that it seems like I will post my food, and on days where I haven't exercised, (or exercised yet...), I will just keep eating. It's like I talk myself into it being ok to go over my calories.

I know we all have bad days.... and I understand every once in a while messing up or having a cheat day, but dang....it's like two or three times a week I'm out of calories by 3:00 pm....and then I'm kicking my butt trying to exercise to get more calories so I can have dinner.

OR>>>> I will do great all day and post my day,, then at 930 or 1000 at night I start snacking....

GRRRRrrrrr......:explode: :angry: :mad:

Replies

• deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    food diary is private...

are you eating lots of fruits and veggies, fiber and protein? those things keep you full longer with lower cals.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I totally feel you on that one...I try to eat lower calorie food during the day, I am a label reading freak so I count out the serving size and pre-package them in baggies so I wont eat more. Eating food that are raw and have good protein can help keep you fuller longer.

20 almonds is 180 calories
    apple and peanut butter
    Kashi trail mix bar

For instance I keep my meals between 300-400 calories and my snacks at 100. That why I usually have some left over, but really and truly it is ok to go over or under your calories, you want to keep your body guessing.

I am not sure what you eat every day but I go two days no meat and one day a meal with meat. That can keep the count down too.

You are doing great, dont let you head get in the way of your progress!! Rock it girl :flowerforyou:
  • crissi66
    Options
    I work really long hours 4 days a week , so by midnite when im coming home im starving!!! I have been trying to grab water at those times. If i grab a room temp water and drink it quickly that usually kills that urge for food i have.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Definitely not alone I do this ALL the time. I was just trying to convince myself its ok to have a snack even though I had birthday cake as a treat today for a coworker! UGH!
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    food diary is private...

are you eating lots of fruits and veggies, fiber and protein? those things keep you full longer with lower cals.

Of course it's private. I'm not proud of this! lol... I know what I need to do, I was just venting I guess. Thanks for the suggestions though! I appreciate your concern.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and I get tired of sitting there for so long and I tend to eat to fight the non movement bordem... I try to plan everything out the night before and keep to a schedule of when I can snack. So I usually eat breakfast when I get in and then have a snack in between breakfast and lunch (today was cherry tomatoes) and then of course there is lunch and I have one more snack planned for after lunch and before I go home to workout; that way I don't eat right before working out and use being too full or cramps as an excuse. Not to mention I have to eat what I planned because that is what I have. If I were at home I could decide to chow on something else. My issue really is the fact that we have all kinds of food in the kitchen (ie peanut m&m's.... ) and I usually end up going for a bag after lunch : (

Long story short I think if you plan your meals out and put them in the night before, and put yourself on a meal/snack schedule you will have an easier time holding on to dinner calories.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    food diary is private...

Of course it's private. I'm not proud of this! lol... I know what I need to do, I was just venting I guess. Thanks for the suggestions though! I appreciate your concern.

HAHAHA! I know, mine is private too ;) But I"m the same way and it sucks!!! nothing you can do but keep chugging along and keep trying. I have to litterly yank myself outta bed at 5AM to get on that treadmill and let me tell ya, it's much easier to just stay in bed and get an extra hour of sleep instead. So if ya need some motivation, add me. I could use a kick in the butt too! :)
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    You just need to have the mindset that you will not eat more than your allotment of calories.
    I never snack, I always know there is a nother meal coming up, followed by 3 more the next
    day, lol. I can have (and do) have snacks and candy sitting around the house, but I would
    rather fill up on real food, so unless I work it into my plan for the day, I don't eat it.

I have not had a splurge day or day off since I started. I try and plan my day out so I know
    what is going to be for dinner (my big meal of the day) and I have breakfast and lunch
    accordingly to round out my calories.
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options
    It is funny because I didn't really do that until I started tracking my calories on here and seeing what I can/can't have. I followed a diet plan several years ago(shown below) and lost about ~50 pounds really easily. I am finding it isn't that easy this time around but I am now tracking everything where as before I just went with it.

Here is basically the plan I follow:

Rule #1: Avoid “white” carbohydrates

Avoid any carbohydrate that is — or can be — white. The following foods are thus prohibited, except for within 1.5 hours of finishing a resistance-training workout of at least 20 minutes in length: bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, pasta, and fried food with breading. If you avoid eating anything white, you’ll be safe.

Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again

The most successful dieters, regardless of whether their goal is muscle gain or fat loss, eat the same few meals over and over again. Mix and match, constructing each meal with one from each of the three following groups:

Proteins:
    Egg whites with one whole egg for flavor
    Chicken breast or thigh
    Grass-fed organic beef
    Pork

Legumes:
    Lentils
    Black beans
    Pinto beans

Vegetables:
    Spinach
    Asparagus
    Peas
    Mixed vegetables

Eat as much as you like of the above food items. Just remember: keep it simple. Pick three or four meals and repeat them. Almost all restaurants can give you a salad or vegetables in place of french fries or potatoes. Surprisingly, I have found Mexican food, swapping out rice for vegetables, to be one of the cuisines most conducive to the “slow carb” diet.

Most people who go on “low” carbohydrate diets complain of low energy and quit, not because such diets can’t work, but because they consume insufficient calories. A 1/2 cup of rice is 300 calories, whereas a 1/2 cup of spinach is 15 calories! Vegetables are not calorically dense, so it is critical that you add legumes for caloric load.
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    It is funny because I didn't really do that until I started tracking my calories on here and seeing what I can/can't have. I followed a diet plan several years ago(shown below) and lost about ~50 pounds really easily. I am finding it isn't that easy this time around but I am now tracking everything where as before I just went with it.

Here is basically the plan I follow:

Rule #1: Avoid “white” carbohydrates

Avoid any carbohydrate that is — or can be — white. The following foods are thus prohibited, except for within 1.5 hours of finishing a resistance-training workout of at least 20 minutes in length: bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, pasta, and fried food with breading. If you avoid eating anything white, you’ll be safe.

Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again

The most successful dieters, regardless of whether their goal is muscle gain or fat loss, eat the same few meals over and over again. Mix and match, constructing each meal with one from each of the three following groups:

Proteins:
    Egg whites with one whole egg for flavor
    Chicken breast or thigh
    Grass-fed organic beef
    Pork

Legumes:
    Lentils
    Black beans
    Pinto beans

Vegetables:
    Spinach
    Asparagus
    Peas
    Mixed vegetables

Eat as much as you like of the above food items. Just remember: keep it simple. Pick three or four meals and repeat them. Almost all restaurants can give you a salad or vegetables in place of french fries or potatoes. Surprisingly, I have found Mexican food, swapping out rice for vegetables, to be one of the cuisines most conducive to the “slow carb” diet.

Most people who go on “low” carbohydrate diets complain of low energy and quit, not because such diets can’t work, but because they consume insufficient calories. A 1/2 cup of rice is 300 calories, whereas a 1/2 cup of spinach is 15 calories! Vegetables are not calorically dense, so it is critical that you add legumes for caloric load.

THANK YOU!! I may seriously consider this!
    I'm also considering giving up Beef and Pork altogether. I've been trying to find more organic and natural products. I like this idea.
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options

THANK YOU!! I may seriously consider this!
    I'm also considering giving up Beef and Pork altogether. I've been trying to find more organic and natural products. I like this idea.

If you follow this and don't cheat you can lose 20 pounds in 30 days.
  • CelticWarrior
    Options
    Warning: Vent session in progress....

Ok, does anyone else self-sabotage themselves? What I mean is that it seems like I will post my food, and on days where I haven't exercised, (or exercised yet...), I will just keep eating. It's like I talk myself into it being ok to go over my calories.

I know we all have bad days.... and I understand every once in a while messing up or having a cheat day, but dang....it's like two or three times a week I'm out of calories by 3:00 pm....and then I'm kicking my butt trying to exercise to get more calories so I can have dinner.

OR>>>> I will do great all day and post my day,, then at 930 or 1000 at night I start snacking....

GRRRRrrrrr......:explode: :angry: :mad:

get more protein will get you full longer
  • Burtonrah
    Burtonrah Posts: 142
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. My past 3 days have been like that. I woke up this morning with the resolve to fix my sabatoging eating today, and made it until 2:30 before I binged.... again.... I know I'll break myself out of this.. I've got too!!! And having people tell me what I should be eating to stay fuller longer, doesn't help, cause it's sabatoging eating and I'll overeat no matter what until I feel like I'm going to blow up :*(.

We can do this!! We have to choose not to let that sabatoging voice win!!
  • Lisak22
    Lisak22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I read this post and new exactly how you feel! I still WANT the same thing, as you were talkng about but when i do eat something i know is "bad" or has too many caolories, i feel horrible after and sick...SOO i do my best to just remember that feeling when i go to pick up chips, or ice cream or even a snickers.

Also i've been on this life style change for over a month now, and I have not bought anything that is over 100 calories for a snack. like those 90 cal. bars ect. 100 cal pringles, 100 cal. chocolate covered pretzels (OY DO I LOVVVEE CHOCOLATE!!)..and it tastes pretty good. I also found some jello that is 0 calories or just 5. That helps alot.

For me its a mind over everything else i've come to realize. If i can eat a whole plate of food im ok no matter what it is. but im im suck to a little bowl, i just want to eat more because i feel like i havent actually had enough, and my mind thinks i should still be eating...i dont know if that made any sense..

PLUS im part of your 30 day challenge, and to make sure i get all my water in for the day, i drink 32 oz. of water before each meal, which helps fill me up, so i dont eat like a man :noway:

hope that made some sence to you...Lisa
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    I read this post and new exactly how you feel! I still WANT the same thing, as you were talkng about but when i do eat something i know is "bad" or has too many caolories, i feel horrible after and sick...SOO i do my best to just remember that feeling when i go to pick up chips, or ice cream or even a snickers.

Also i've been on this life style change for over a month now, and I have not bought anything that is over 100 calories for a snack. like those 90 cal. bars ect. 100 cal pringles, 100 cal. chocolate covered pretzels (OY DO I LOVVVEE CHOCOLATE!!)..and it tastes pretty good. I also found some jello that is 0 calories or just 5. That helps alot.

For me its a mind over everything else i've come to realize. If i can eat a whole plate of food im ok no matter what it is. but im im suck to a little bowl, i just want to eat more because i feel like i havent actually had enough, and my mind thinks i should still be eating...i dont know if that made any sense..

PLUS im part of your 30 day challenge, and to make sure i get all my water in for the day, i drink 32 oz. of water before each meal, which helps fill me up, so i dont eat like a man :noway:

hope that made some sence to you...Lisa

Made total sense!! I know I'm eating a lot of empty calories the past couple of days. Today I'm refocused. (dang that bag of SunChips! GRRRrrr.... Chips are my weakness...)

Ok thanks to everyone who made it through my whiny mumblings!!! I'm off to a better day and a better attitude! THANKS everyone for your help/support! HUGS!
  • mfpguy
    mfpguy Posts: 13
    Options
    Keeping my eye on protein has really helped me with this. I was a chronic snacker before I started using MFP, then I read a bunch of posts on how to feel full. I now have no problem getting from breakfast to lunch and then from lunch to dinner without my stomach grumbling.

Evenings are the snack witching hour for me. I have a mental list of things that I know won't blow my food diary if I need a little something extra. I mean, who dreams about snacking on raw brocolli? I like to eat it, but let's not kid ourselves, it isn't ice cream! My food choices may not be appropriate for you because I'm targeting something besides weight loss, but I keep things like hardboiled eggs around for an easy filling snack (in the evenings, I pop the yoke out and skip it since it can kill my food diary.)
  • arorra1
    arorra1 Posts: 16
    Options
    Uh, I am pretty sure I'm self-sabotaging myself right now! The whole meal planning and logging it all in online with my exercise is just not happening. Went out to breakfast AND lunch with my co-workers yesterday, had the nerve to eat the candy corn on my desk that is supposed to be for other people, and made chocolate chip cookies when I got home last night. OMG! How in the world does one get back on the wagon? Any suggestions??

Like Lisak22, I need to feel like I ate a lot to actually feel full. That's one reason why I love to eat popcorn (97%f fat free of course) and Honeycrisp apples. Both of these foods take a while to eat so by the time your finished, your mouth is usually tired of chewing! Not to mention the popcorn is so salty/dry sometimes that it forces you to catch up on your water intake. :-)