P90X, anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• kuntrygurl
    Options
    P90x made me lose 30 of the 40 pounds that were my initial goal. i couldn't do a single pull-up before it, and now i can still only do two full pull-ups without assistance. IT WILL WORK IF YOU STICK WITH IT!!!!

dumbells are better. yoga mat is essential if you dont have carpet.

Wow, congrats!
    Yes, I am terrified to even try a pull up.
    Told my little brother i was going to make him stand behind me in case I fall off...
    And, I do have carpet in the living room.
    It is very big so I have plenty of room to move around.
    Thanks so much for the advice!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Stu, thanks .. yeah I have a HRM (POLAR F6) and the pull up bar you are suggesting is the one I was going to get. I suppose I mainly wanted was the info on the bands. I would rather use the dumb bells if I can. I have nothing against bands but just prefer dumbells.

Thanks for responding!

I've done 1 round with bands and 1 round with power blocks (dumb bells) and I definitely preferred doing it with the later. After I finish Insanity I am starting the Couch to 5K program and using P90X and/or ChaLEAN Extreme on the rest days. Plan on running some 5K's next year, but also want to pack on some muscle.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    When I started I couldn't do a pull up either! It takes time but you will get there!

As the others said, just stick with it for the entire 90 days and you WILL see results!

-Chancy
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Stu, thanks .. yeah I have a HRM (POLAR F6) and the pull up bar you are suggesting is the one I was going to get. I suppose I mainly wanted was the info on the bands. I would rather use the dumb bells if I can. I have nothing against bands but just prefer dumbells.

Thanks for responding!

I've done 1 round with bands and 1 round with power blocks (dumb bells) and I definitely preferred doing it with the later. After I finish Insanity I am starting the Couch to 5K program and using P90X and/or ChaLEAN Extreme on the rest days. Plan on running some 5K's next year, but also want to pack on some muscle.

I am actually doing a 5K in March. It's a sister event to the LA Marathon and it's held the Saturday before the marathon. I am cardio friendly and do it 5 days a week (hiking in the hills on Saturday and Sundays) I should be able to do the run/walk no problem. They are fun and if you are doing the P90X (and a coach) then you should have no problem with this.
  • kuntrygurl
    Options
    When I started I couldn't do a pull up either! It takes time but you will get there!

As the others said, just stick with it for the entire 90 days and you WILL see results!

-Chancy

Thanks.
    I plan on sticking ot it.
    I have nothing left to lose in my life.
    Only to gain.
    But, I do not mean gain pounds!
    I mean gain a whole new attitude towards life.
  • KarenBorter
    Options

-Chancy

Thanks.
    Only to gain.

EXCELLENT attitude! I figure the same way and you do have something to lose in your life EXCESS WEIGHT! Hehehe :) Join our November 1. I have already made an account at the teambeachbody site ... my user name is (wait for it) karenborter
  • kuntrygurl
    Options

-Chancy

Thanks.
    Only to gain.

EXCELLENT attitude! I figure the same way and you do have something to lose in your life EXCESS WEIGHT! Hehehe :) Join our November 1. I have already made an account at the teambeachbody site ... my user name is (wait for it) karenborter

I will not have it by November 1st.
    Can I still join?
    Oh, and I love the username, btw...
    :)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Make no excuses.
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    You can join anytime. I am actually starting on Wednesday because I want to keep my rest day on Tuesday.

I have a question for all the previous P9OXers ... Should I still do cardio before I come home to do this? I have been doing about 50 minutes on the elliptical and plan on starting to endurance train for a 5k in March. What say "you"?
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    You can join anytime. I am actually starting on Wednesday because I want to keep my rest day on Tuesday.

I have a question for all the previous P9OXers ... Should I still do cardio before I come home to do this? I have been doing about 50 minutes on the elliptical and plan on starting to endurance train for a 5k in March. What say "you"?

A 5K takes roughly 9 weeks to train for. I would hold off on doing that while doing P90X. You'll see what I mean once you start P90X. Starting November 1st, you should finish P90X with 8 weeks left to train (give or take a week or two).

Hope this helps,
    Stu
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    Stu, In other words you are saying that I should ONLY do P90X and not go to the gym to do the elliptical I have been doing. That this will burn more calories then I will know what to do with? I am doing Classic
  • rebeccacaldwe
    Options
    I just started the P90X program today and for my first attempt at one of the videos it wasn't too bad. I mean it kicked my butt but I survived. I am starting with the lean version because I really want to get some weight off. Everyone has been saying you need to eat a lot but the program is telling me I should eat 2400 calories a day compared to the 1200 on this website. I feel like 2400 is a lot and I don't even think I could eat that much. I'm 5 1 and 191 lbs and I was just wondering if 2400 calories is too much? For those who have done this program before would you recommend eating that many calories?
  • edorice
    Options
    Stu, In other words you are saying that I should ONLY do P90X and not go to the gym to do the elliptical I have been doing. That this will burn more calories then I will know what to do with? I am doing Classic

In my first round of P90X I walked a mile in the afternoons with coworkers. Then by the 2nd phase I started doing double workouts like jogging after work. I lost 24 lbs. during the 1st round. The program recommends that if you want faster results you can do doubles with Cardio X or other cardio.
  • edorice
    Options
    I just started the P90X program today and for my first attempt at one of the videos it wasn't too bad. I mean it kicked my butt but I survived. I am starting with the lean version because I really want to get some weight off. Everyone has been saying you need to eat a lot but the program is telling me I should eat 2400 calories a day compared to the 1200 on this website. I feel like 2400 is a lot and I don't even think I could eat that much. I'm 5 1 and 191 lbs and I was just wondering if 2400 calories is too much? For those who have done this program before would you recommend eating that many calories?

During my first round I ate between 1700 and 1900 calories. Many people that have done the program agree that the calories laid out by P90X is way too high. I wouldn't recommend eating 2400 calories.
  • kuntrygurl
    Options

During my first round I ate between 1700 and 1900 calories. Many people that have done the program agree that the calories laid out by P90X is way too high. I wouldn't recommend eating 2400 calories.

I, too, was wondering about calories.
    Life hasn't been the nicest to me this last week, so I am not even hungry.
    I was hoping that it wouldn't make me eat that much.
    But, 1700-1900, I can do.
    But, I guess it is different with everyone, huh?
  • KarenBorter
    Options

Thanks for clearing up both of my questions: I think that perhaps for the first couple of days I am going to just do the P90X and see how exhausted I am. I have a 1200 calorie base but I do eat 75% of my exercise calories and will be getting a whey protein supplement for after workout recovery. I am getting EXCITED!
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    My program delivered today. I came home and opened the package to get the manuals so I could read them while I was waiting for my oil change at the dealership ... I was able to read thru both of them. I did some calculations and I too am supposed to consume 2400 calories/day on the program. I don't know about that. Currently, with exercise calories I am between 1700 and 1900/day. I am going to see how things go. I am definitely going to get IsoPure which is a whey protein powder I have used in the past for recovery.

On first impression, I don't think I am going to have much issue with any of the stuff. The plyometrics, however, is sketchy. I am going to have to brace my right knee and I have a neoprene knee support that I will wear on those days and just ice after. My old personal trainer would have me do some of those moves and, in fact, most of the moves in P90X I have done at one point or another in my many years working with a trainer. The next thing, the nutrition plan. While I am not planning on following that program exactly, I am certainly going to utilize many of the recipes in the book as they are nutritious and I love LOVE to cook. This will help my meal planning and give me some great options away from the relatively mundane menu I have been utilizing over the past 60 days.

I suppose I will wear my HRM strap to bed tonight so I can at least get my RHR tomorrow in the morning. I will likely have to get a caliper for body fat or use a tool online. I would rather get a caliper. Are they easy to use (for those of you who have used them)?

Tomorrow I am going to do my regular cardio and then come home and pop in the stretch x dvd. Sunday I am going to do the fit test. Question: should I do this before I go out and do cardio or is it okay to do any time of the day?
  • missmaya24
    missmaya24 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The beachbody website has a body fat calculator. There's alot of cool tools on there.
  • tondalea
    tondalea Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio X instead of Plyo....
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    You can do cardio X instead of Plyo....

Thank you :) I may have to try that if I find the plyo too much for my knees :) I am glad there are modifications for this stuff!