The good old Scale... friend or foe?

Options
How often do you guys weigh yourselfs, and how many lbs do you expect to be there after a wknd??? Or share any ideas about how to not get frustrated with ourselves and the scale.

thanks!

Replies

• Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    FRIEND!

I weigh every morning when I wake up just to keep tabs on the trend. I have a 3 pound range I am comfortable seeing in the morning, 113-116 .

Sometimes, Monday morning, after a weekend of eating at my in-laws or possibly having an adult beverage or two, I weigh in at 117 or 118. It never sticks though as long as I get back on the wagon Monday morning.

On the other side of it, if I get to far into my head I get down to 111 or 112. Then I need to have a talk with myself about eating enough calories and not spending too much time doing cardio.

I need to keep telling myself that the goal now is to stay in my range. As long as I don't let it get too far off there is nothing to worry about. If it does creep out of control I will know because I weigh in and I know how to get it back under control.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Friend!

I too, weigh myself every morning . . . it does not really bother me what is says as I can usually track a gain to what I ate the day before.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I weight every day at the same time at the gym. It is an accurate scale and I keep tabs online including all my measurements. If I fluctuate a lb or two over the weekend, no big deal. But, since I am in weight loss mode I haven't gone backwards on the scale which has been great!
    Some people don't weigh themselves at all and get into measurements more. Whatever make you comfortable and motivates you is how you should do it.
  • phw426
    phw426 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily so that I can see trends....
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly and occasionally every other week. I want to get on more often, but I'm seriously sad if it's up. I try to let enough time go between weigh ins that I'm more likely to see a down.
  • MsAudreyC94
    MsAudreyC94 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So...here's my story in a nut shell: last yr was freshman at college start weight 104 end weight 118, I gained due to stress eating from homesickness. My mom gave me the scale I wanted for my bday and I religiously weighed myself everyday. I transferred schools lost (very unhealthily) 10lbs and mainly ate sweets then ran for an hr. I weighed myself everyday and it became an obsession. I got help from family and my loving boyfriend and I now weigh myself once every week/every other week. I eat healthy clean food throughout the week and allow myself a dessert of choice on Saturday and a dinner out Sunday (no friend food at dinner though!) I have been seeing a current downward tend in weight and am currently 109 and happy! So, my advice to you, don't rely on the scale don't become obsessed with it, and focus on enjoying healthy meals instead of the projected number (you could potentially retain water any day you weigh in or you could have a crappy scale!) Good luck! :)
  • rosemary98
    Options
    every morning and i chart it. 1-2 pound fluctuations don't bother me unless I see a trend on my chart (as in too many high fluctuations...fewer low fluctuations). So, I believe it is helpful. I find I can re-evaluate and get back on track when the fluctuations remain on the high side.
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    Thanks! I decided that I would wait a few days after logging and keeping up with the cardio... lets see those #'s go down!!!
  • breakhearts
    breakhearts Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Foend.

It's a friend because sometimes it really gets me motivated when I drop that extra pound, but foe because sometimes it really gets me down when I'm stuck at a weight I can't manage to overcome!

I weigh in once a week, every Friday!:)
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Neither, its a tool to measure progress. It does not tell me if I'm losing fat or not, but combined with the tape measure, I can figure out what is really happening.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Once a week, that's it.