Vegan for a week

Options
My boss has decided to go vegan for a week just to see if he can.
He was listening to the radio this morning and the DJs have some bet where the loser has to go vegan for a week.
So I would assume that they are like my boss and big fans of meat and cheese.
He's from Kansas and he hunts so this is amusing all of my coworkers that he's doing this.

He doesn't eat breakfast and doesn't really snack so it's only lunch & dinner that I have to create a plan for.
(Yes, you read that right, I have to create the meal plan. I get money for this tho)

I know rice & beans is a complete protein.
I know there is salad - but no Caesar dressing since it has eggs or anchovies I guess (same with Worcestershire sauce)
Quinoa is a good one as well.

I just need some tasty vegan recipes.

Also, if I recall correctly, not all breads are vegan - so thoughts on different brands?

Using barnivore.com, we found him vegan beer (didn't think that mattered til I googled it lol)

So MFP vegans, please help!

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I usually eat meat/dairy free during the week. I keep it simple-sweet potatoes are great (nuked or thinly sliced and baked). I add a bit of oil, salt and cinnamon sugar on them. He can make up instant brown rice and mix it with veggies and mushrooms-this reheats well and is a good one to bring in for lunch. I eat a lot of oatmeal with add ins (nuts, seeds, fruit). I have green smoothies several times a week, which are filling, and I usually have a large salad every day. I use regular ranch dressing but there's vegan options out there. It's not that hard to do and you don't have to get too crazy with it-simple is good :) Does he/his spouse bake? I have several vegan recipes for muffins etc that I can give you links to, if you want them to pass on to him.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to create your bosses meal menu? Surely the challenge for it to make sense he needs to do the research. Other wise it's pretty pointless.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to create your bosses meal menu? Surely the challenge for it to make sense he needs to do the research. Other wise it's pretty pointless.

Just what I was thinking... I could eat any "type" of diet for a year if I had people around to spoonfeed me specific recipes of what to eat...
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Just what I was thinking... I could eat any "type" of diet for a year if I had people around to spoonfeed me specific recipes of what to eat...

I'm getting money out of this, otherwise I wouldn't do it.
    Quite honestly, I'm not going to put massive amounts of energy in this because I know it isn't going to stick for long.
    Day 2 of his challenge, we're going to a client holiday party at the best steakhouse in the city so I'm pretty sure he'll cave especially since he didn't remember about the dinner when he picked the week.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Sprouted grain bread is good for vegans.
  • ujjz
    ujjz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about complete proteins. From what I've read, it's an old myth that nutritionists don't agree upon anymore.

Chili, tacos with all the fiiixins (you can use leftover chili), baked potato + soup (there are tons of good canned and boxed vegans soups), chips and guacamole. All kinds of sandwiches; eggplant parmesan with no cheese, peanut butter and jelly, avocado lettuce & tomato.

Amy's naturals has good frozen vegan entrees such as enchiladas, mac and cheese, frozen pizza.

Also, see these lists. There is probably a lot of stuff he eats already that he doesn't realize is vegan: http://www.petakids.com/accvegan.asp
    http://www.peta.org/living/food/accidentally-vegan/