Back at it

Options
Hey all! It's been a really long time since I have done this, (again). I really want to change but am having a really hard time getting the exercise thing going again. I work 2 jobs and am always so tired. And I know I am tired from being over weight. It just seems like a horrible circle and I can't get started. Just need some support. Thanks!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Work on getting your food budget under control first. You don't have to exercise to lose weight. Probably as your weight comes down your energy level will come up. Just try to get more movement into your everyday activity now. Park farther away, take the stairs, take a 15 minute walk.
  • Thin4payton
    Thin4payton Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was taking hour long walks on my lunch break when it was warmer, but now that the cold is here, I don't have the motivation to move. I do miss my 3 mile walks though!
  • llutz246
    llutz246 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem... just this week, I have recommited to doing this. Start small and work your way up. I am starting with my food and making sure I am logging it and trying to get some sort of movement in during the day. I have a desk job so I sit all day and I still go home exhausted but I have to try to get moving or I will gain every pound I have lost. Good luck and don't give up on it! It will get easier.
  • breeautiful128
    breeautiful128 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That is exactly how I have been. I have let me weight grow out of control. I work 40 hours a week, am a full time student and commute to work 15 hours a week. I have only been on my lifestyle change for 8 days, but I feel so much more energized and happy. My motto is: You don't find time, you make time.

Best of luck! I KNOW you can do it!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Work on getting your food budget under control first. You don't have to exercise to lose weight. Probably as your weight comes down your energy level will come up. Just try to get more movement into your everyday activity now. Park farther away, take the stairs, take a 15 minute walk.

^this

And with whatever time you have to yourself, spend it on food prep (or whatever else would help you meet your food targets). Once you have that nailed down, then start working on ways to move more.

(Note, this is different than the advice I would give someone for whom time constraints are not the biggest issue. For them, I'd suggest (in addition to dialing in diet) getting started with some kind of strength training from the beginning for the numerous health benefits and the help with goal weight body composition.)
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    You are soooooooooooooooo right! The first month I concentrated on the nutrition and then the exercise..no use frustrating yourself with all your other responsibilities. :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was taking hour long walks on my lunch break when it was warmer, but now that the cold is here, I don't have the motivation to move. I do miss my 3 mile walks though!

Try taking 15 minute walks instead. You may find once you get started an hour isn't so bad even in the cold. You may also want to start some core exercises just to strengthen and give you more stability. Taking 10 to 15 minutes first thing in the morning to do some crunches or sit ups or planks will strengthen the core which may help get those energy levels up.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You are soooooooooooooooo right! The first month I concentrated on the nutrition and then the exercise..no use frustrating yourself with all your other responsibilities. :)

Yup... that is exactly what I did... got comfy with my food intake first and then made myself a schedule for working out. At first I was dreading it because all I knew was cardio... then I stumbled across a few threads here with women lifting heavy.. that got a fire started in me like no other..

I work full-time (early - at work by 7am), 3 kids at home, husband etc... I had zero time when I get home from work. So, I made myself get up at 4am 3x a week... I haven't looked back and don't regret making that sacrifice one bit :)
  • Thin4payton
    Thin4payton Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the advice! I know have something to work for and I have a goal that I HAVE to meet so my motivation the pretty much through the roof right now! I have in the past always had an easier time getting moving than focusing on my food, but this time, I am having more trouble with the moving than the food. So I will be taking all the advice you all have given me. I did walk on the treadmill last night for almost 45 mins. And it felt great!