Blood Donation and Recovery

Options
I'm proud to say that at a third year college student, I donated my 7th pint of blood today!

And as always with blood donation, the brisk walk from the donation center back to my apartment reminded me that with the blood loss, I'm bound to feel a little under the weather, my head will pound a bit, and my heartbeat will be a little louder than usual. So, I'm now setting myself down to relax and drink lots of water, and indulge in some fruit, or maybe even something sweet.

So for anyone else out there that donates blood, what's your favorite way to recuperate after donating? And for non-donors, what would it take for you to begin donating if you're able to?

Replies

• Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I recently donated blood after a long stretch (read years) of not donating. This was the easiest time I've ever had. Not sure if its because I had a good meal and workout prior to the donation, but I didn't feel tired or light headed afterwards. My only regret is I can't donate sooner because my alma mater always has a contest with our in state rival to see which school can get the most pints donated.
  • tigerlily886
    tigerlily886 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have donated for 7 years, off and on. My iron levels would drop and I couldn't donate. I haven't donated since May. I try to do it as often as I can, but the nearest donor center is 30 minutes away.

I drink water and take a nap when I am done. All of my workout shirts are from the blood center. I even persuaded my husband to donate, even though he hates needles. It is a good feeling and they also measure cholesterol, so I can keep an eye on it.
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am much in demand due to blood type and take the day off after donating. I workout in the morning if so scheduled and then donate later in the day. My iron levels do drop as well. I do nothing different except avoid any type over exertion. Usually energetic as a Jack Russell I am and never feel lethargic. Eat big as usually and then back at it the next day.

I like the OJ provided at the blood center and am given several to take with me. Pass on the cookies.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's never really affected me and i always go when there's a blood drive.

i drink the OJ and apple juice and avoid the cookies of the gluten
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Non-donor: they don't take blood from immigrants from my part of the world. End of.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I donate every three months, always go after dinner and never had any problems. I normally workout in the gym very early morning so I always give that a miss the day after I've donated. Tried it once and felt a bit light headed and dizzy, so I just make that my rest day.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I take a nap. Well I faint does that count lol