I need non-beachy vacation ideas :)

Options

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to copy & paste the list of places I want to see. I am so jealous of your predicament right now!

Bogota, Colombia
    Havana, Cuba
    Dublin, Ireland
    London, England
    Sydney, Australia
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Serengeti, Tanzania
    St. Petersburg, Russia
    Venice, Italy
    Macchu Picchu, Peru
    Uruguay
    Mumbai, India
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Vancouver, Canada
    Austin, TX
    Memphis, TN
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Iraq/Iran/Saudi/Yemen/Egypt (Middle Eastern tour)
    Paris, France
    Denver, CO
    Anchorage, AK
    Edinburgh/Glasgow, Scotland
    Quito, Ecuador
    Beijing, China
    Tokyo/Kyoto, Japan
    Thailand/Indonesia/Phillippines/Myanmar (Asian tour!)
    Oslo, Norway

I'll stop now, that's not even an exhaustive list and I left off the "beachy" places, lol. HAVE FUN! Update us with where you decide on going so I can live vicariously through you!!

Moscow is better, actually. (IMO) I've been to both, and definitely enjoyed Moscow better. The metro is more convenient, and there are better/more historical and beautiful buildings. The Hermitage and Peterhoff palace in SP were FANTASTIC, though, so it's a matter of opinion, I guess.
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sandusky Ohio, Cedar Point won't be open until May, but best amusement park ever....

QFT.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I already have a beach vacation planned with my mom for the upcoming year but me and a friend want to go on vacation somewhere. She too is going on a beach vacation so we are trying to think of a cool place to go for a week that is not "beachy". It can be anywhere in the world....

suggestions?! :smile:

I am sorry to say that I wonder if you are serious. Because " anywhere in the world " makes no sense for just a week, if you need more than a day to get there another day to come back and about two to three days to get over jetlag. If I only had a week and lived in Texas, I would definitely stay in the US, or go maybe to a non beach place in Mexico. I think I would also enjoy going to Quebec ( 5 hour flight from Texas ) or to New York, Seattle, Portland or Washington for the diversity in food, culture, museums, music and lifestyle etc ( also around a 4-5 hour flight ). If you have a hobby , you could also look into something hobby related. Everywhere else ; if the flight makes you lose a whole days or even more for just a week makes no sense. Who wants to spend the time and money to end up with actually two or three full days in Ireland, or Paris and even less time anywhere in Asia or Australia ?
    Good Luck in deciding !
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Moscow is better, actually. (IMO) I've been to both, and definitely enjoyed Moscow better. The metro is more convenient, and there are better/more historical and beautiful buildings. The Hermitage and Peterhoff palace in SP were FANTASTIC, though, so it's a matter of opinion, I guess.

oooh! thank you, I'll add that! that was really just a sample from my list, but you're not the first person with high recommendations for Moscow.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    New Orleans
    Savannah
    Disney Land/World
    New York
    Niagra Falls
    Alaska

If you are able to go worldwide...wow the possibities are endless
  • flowersofdawn
    flowersofdawn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You have a week with no budget restrictions, I'd say go overseas. I had a great time staying with a friend in England and driving to all four coasts and doing mini adventures. I hear wonderful things about Thailand and Cambodia. Friends in Japan say there are fun things there as well. So much of Europe is accessible via train and the states have everything from mountains to roller coasters for fun times.

Think of the one place you may never get to go again in your life time and go there. And spend the week on a grand adventure. :smile:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Vancouver Canada in Winter. There is some great skiing and weather in town isn't too nasty. Kind of a perfect winter vacation spot.

Also Mexico City has always been on my list. It is one of the largest cities in the world.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The Galapagos Islands.

Oh, and Bora Bora!
  • Wifey7891
    Options
    Massanutten Resort in VA is really nice. There's hiking, biking, horseback riding, golf, swimming, skiing, tubing, zip-lining, etc....
    We went there in July and really enjoyed it and we've also been at Christmas.

I'll second Massanutten! One of the next weekend getaways I want to plan is there! Sounds like lots of fun.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yosemite National Park! Amazing any time of the year, but summer is the most crowded of course. Fall is less crowded, gorgeous colors, and cool hiking. Winter, gorgeous to see the snow on the peaks and/or down on the valley floor, and ice skating below Half Dome and the other amazing sites is just incredible. Spring - still less crowded than summer, and you get all the waterfalls running nice and full as the winter snows start to run off.

It's a huge park, lots to explore and enjoy!
  • Salty_Sauce
    Salty_Sauce Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Guided hiking trip. There's some great ones out of the Leavenworth Washington area and you don't have to worry about all the grizzlies like in Glacier. Plus Leavenworth has great beers. It's a Bavarian themed town:-)
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Disney World
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Not sure of your budget or your likes and dislikes but, for budget vacationing and if you want to step back in time a little. I recommend a nice little town Called Branson Missouri. It's a little Nashville as far as music shows and their theme park "Silver Dollar City" takes you back to the 1800's. Also great shopping and eating. Not so much in the way of night life except for the restaurant pubs though
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Not sure of your budget or your likes and dislikes but, for budget vacationing and if you want to step back in time a little. I recommend a nice little town Called Branson Missouri. It's a little Nashville as far as music shows and their theme park "Silver Dollar City" takes you back to the 1800's. Also great shopping and eating. Not so much in the way of night life except for the restaurant pubs though

I like the Beaver Lake/White River areas in arkansas.

We went there 3 christmases in a row, but I'd like to go in Oct/Nov after season to do some trout/striper fishing.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I already have a beach vacation planned with my mom for the upcoming year but me and a friend want to go on vacation somewhere. She too is going on a beach vacation so we are trying to think of a cool place to go for a week that is not "beachy". It can be anywhere in the world....

suggestions?! :smile:

I am sorry to say that I wonder if you are serious. Because " anywhere in the world " makes no sense for just a week, if you need more than a day to get there another day to come back and about two to three days to get over jetlag. If I only had a week and lived in Texas, I would definitely stay in the US, or go maybe to a non beach place in Mexico. I think I would also enjoy going to Quebec ( 5 hour flight from Texas ) or to New York, Seattle, Portland or Washington for the diversity in food, culture, museums, music and lifestyle etc ( also around a 4-5 hour flight ). If you have a hobby , you could also look into something hobby related. Everywhere else ; if the flight makes you lose a whole days or even more for just a week makes no sense. Who wants to spend the time and money to end up with actually two or three full days in Ireland, or Paris and even less time anywhere in Asia or Australia ?
    Good Luck in deciding !

This was actually the issue - because we had planned on going to Australia but were going to spend 2 weeks, but decided it was too long of a trip. The trip can be a little longer than a week but not a full 2....
  • Amberh82
    Options
    Funny you mention this - my mom has actually always wanted to go. we were supposed to go a few years ago but we had to cancel.
  • Amberh82
    Options
    All of these places sound awesome. thanks for the suggestions!!! we can go for a little over a week, it isn't restricted to just 1 week, but not long enough to push 2 weeks...
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live and what you can afford, but here goes:

Las Vegas
    New York
    London
    Spain
    San Diego
    Los Angeles
    Disney World
    Universal Studios
    Australia
    France

There are lots more places, but those are off the top of my head
  • carolose46
    carolose46 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    you should come to Quebec winter carnaval! (google it) it's so much fun! plus, old Quebec city looks like if you were in europe!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    A friend and her husband are going to Bora Bora next year for 10 days. Price tag so far --- $45.000.00