How many calories should you burn in a day?

Options
I'm trying to lose weight as fast as possible (2-3lb a week) and I feel like when I burn ~1000 it isn't enough, but I'm too tired to keep pushing myself. Regardless of how much you eat how much is appropriate to burn in 1 day?

edit: Also, after stopping overeating 2 months ago, I found I can't go without cabbage/prune juice/laxatives. is this normal? Will it ever be normal again? I gain so much on the scale from not going. =(

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is an appropriate amount. Regardless, the healthy range to lose is between 1-2lbs a week and that depends on how much you have to lose. The closer you get the less you will lose every week.

Besides you can't out exercise a bad diet. Meaning that it all comes down to calories in vs calories out and doing so in a healthy sustainable way. You most likely didn't pack on 2-3 lbs a week to get to where you are now so don't expect the road to losing it will be any faster or easier. If you wanna reach your goal and keep it off you want to find something sustainable like enjoying the foods you like in moderation keeping at a deficit while exercising regularly and not like a maniac. The fact thy you are exhausted probably means you are working out too much, not eating and most likely both.

I highly suggest you use the search function for "sexypants" and read that thread and follow these advices

Edit: as for the cabbage/prune/laxative part, try fibers with a lot of water, reduce cheese and if it doesn't work go see a doctor.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Seek a professional
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A pound equates to 2200 calories. So to lose 2 pounds you would have to have a calorie deficit of 4400 calories for the desired period of time.
    Of course, that is in a perfect world.
    Still you could use it as a rule of thumb.

Also determine your BMR (basal metabolic rate) using any of numerous online calculators.
    Then you can determine how much exercise-burnt calories you need to add to outstrip your calorie intake.

Again, all in a perfect world. :)

Re: your p.s.
    Think about adding old-fashioned oatmeal (not the instant). Lots of fiber (and other benefits).
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    See a doctor, please. Not being able to go to the restroom without the use of laxatives is highly problematic. Also, are you eating those 1000 calories back? If not, that is also problematic. Exercise addiction and exercise bulimia are serious issues that need to be addressed with a therapist. I can burn 1000 calories in a day sometimes, but feeling like you HAVE to do that, even when you are too tired, indicates that you have a problem with exercise.
  • tinyfitness_
    Options
    1000 is enough! more then enough, I burn only around 300-600 and that's heaps for me! I know because I'm small and don't weigh much but 1000 is still a great effort, and losing weight rapidly may not be the best idea as you may tire out your body and cause damage!

If you are finding it hard to lose weight whilst burning 1000 calories, maybe eat a bit less! :)
  • Escape_Artist
    Options
    A pound equates to 2200 calories. So to lose 2 pounds you would have to have a calorie deficit of 4400 calories for the desired period of time.
    Of course, that is in a perfect world.
    Still you could use it as a rule of thumb.

Also determine your BMR (basal metabolic rate) using any of numerous online calculators.
    Then you can determine how much exercise-burnt calories you need to add to outstrip your calorie intake.

Again, all in a perfect world. :)

AFAIK, It's 3500 calories not 2200
  • spiegelmann
    Options
    I lose about .4 pounds a day, and I already eat very little. I'll make my food diary public, one sec.

And thanks for the advice guys. If the laxative stuff doesn't stop I'll go to a doctor the second I can.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    Options
    I lose about .4 pounds a day, and I already eat very little. I'll make my food diary public, one sec.

And thanks for the advice guys. If the laxative stuff doesn't stop I'll go to a doctor the second I can.

You are developing, or have already developed, an eating disorder. Seek professional help.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    See a professional please.

You're young (probably not 19). You want fast weight loss. You take laxatives. your diary is frightening.

Talk to someone in your real daily life.
  • Escape_Artist
    Options

You are not eating nearly enough. Again, search function "sexypants" sorry on phone and can't link but you absolutely need to eat way way way more than that you are heading for a disaster and you will damage your body! No wonder you don't poop there is hardly any food on there....
  • Escape_Artist
    Options
    Gonna second other posters and say you need professional help. You are heading to, if not already, eating disorder and trust me that is the last thing you want.
  • spiegelmann
    Options
    My mom's fine with my eating.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    See a professional please.

You're young (probably not 19). You want fast weight loss. You take laxatives. your diary is frightening.

Talk to someone in your real daily life.

^this.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You've told her you eat around 500 calories a day and take laxatives and want to lose weight rapidly?

That's unfortunate. Talk to a professional.
  • Escape_Artist
    Options

I really doubt your mother is a professional or else she would not be fine with it. You are not eating enough and if you continue down that road you are going to damage your body and that can take a long time to recover from and will only bring bad to your life. I don't mean to frighten you hun, but I have been down that road and I promise this is not the way to go.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    Options

Is your mother a trained dietitian and/or eating disorders therapist who is fully and completely aware of exactly how much you are eating/exercising? If not, please disregard her opinion and seek help anyway. Anorexia is the most lethal mental illness there is. Don't wait until you have permanently damaged your body.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    You probably can't 'go' often because theres nothing much in your stomach to push out. Your mom might be happy with your intake but if her relationship with food is similar to yours that might be why? I don't know you or your mom, but all i do know is that based on the information you have given us here you work out a lot and barely eat. THAT is why you're lacking in energy and why you're struggling to perform basic bodily functions.

Honey, you need to address this to be healthy.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I think you need to concentrate on logging correctly. There are days you don't log at all and some days you log only 150 calories and some days up to 500 calories. I went back to around 2 weeks. If it is correct you will be in the hospital very soon as no one can make it on only 500 calories a day regardless if they are working out or not, otherwise you just are not logging what you are eating.

Learn what you need to be eating to make yourself healthy, strong and the weight you need/want to be and then follow that. It will also help you to keep it off as you won't be starving yourself now. You will look better and also feel better following the proper nutrition.

Talk to a nutritionist if you are able. Best of luck to you!