Running in the snow

Options
So, I just started running outside a few months ago and I love it, but thus it is November and its snowing. So I guess, is there really any advice anyone can give me to how to go about it all? I don't want to stop running all together and I don't always have access to a treadmill... Is it a super terrible idea to run in the snow/What kind of clothes do you typically wear when you run in the cold weather? I really appreciate it!

Replies

• Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    No, it's not always a bad idea to run when it's snowing. It's not always a great idea either. Just make sure that you run in concrete or asphalt that has been cleaned / where the snow has melted, and watch out for puddles of water or ice. I would avoid running during really heavy snow or extremely cold weather.
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Dress in layers, a warm base layer or two and a windproof jacket. thermal tights, wool socks, gloves and an ear band. when it gets really gold I wear a balaclava. for snow and ice, I usually try to pick a route where I can run on the road instead of the sidewalk. You can also get things that go over your shoes to improve traction (like yak trax) but I don't like to wear them unless I know I am only going to be running on hard packed snow or ice. I don't like then on dry pavement. Lots of people in cold climates train all winter.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You should go to the local running-shoe store and ask them this question. I used to live in Minnesota. I ran in the dead of winter all the time, as do most runners who live there. But, Denver is different. In Minnesota, it gets cold and stays cold. Denver gets cold, then warm, then cold again. The snow dumps, and then it melts, and then it dumps again.
    It is hard for anyone to generalize to Denver who isn't living there.
  • superspork2
    superspork2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You should go to the local running-shoe store and ask them this question. I used to live in Minnesota. I ran in the dead of winter all the time, as do most runners who live there. But, Denver is different. In Minnesota, it gets cold and stays cold. Denver gets cold, then warm, then cold again. The snow dumps, and then it melts, and then it dumps again.
    It is hard for anyone to generalize to Denver who isn't living there.

You pretty much summed up Denver perfectly haha. Thanks a lot guys, that really helps!
  • zoeybleepbloop
    zoeybleepbloop Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm in Durango- and I'm going to try to keep up running all through the winter no matter what! I've never done that, I've always used the snow as an excuse not to run over the winter-- but I'm going to get a good set of layers and kill it this winter!
  • superspork2
    Options
    I'm in Durango- and I'm going to try to keep up running all through the winter no matter what! I've never done that, I've always used the snow as an excuse not to run over the winter-- but I'm going to get a good set of layers and kill it this winter!

Go team, go!!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Unless you have asthma or have an intolerance to the cold, like Reynaud's or similar auto-immune conditions that can make being out in the cold downright painful, then go for it ...
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Colo Springs here.

I ran 8 miles this afternoon. I won't lie. It was kinda miserable.

The key is absolutely dress in layers and be prepared to adjust mid-run. I literally take 2 pairs of gloves, light and heavy, as well as two beanies, light and heavy.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Word of caution: hubby was running in late December (Wisconsin), hit some black ice, fell and broke his ankle.
    Two weeks before our daughter was born.
    He got six weeks "paternity" leave...
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Layers and Yaktraxs if the ground is not clear. :smile:
  • brown46545
    brown46545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I live in a snow belt and run during winter. I tried the yak trax but prefer my normal shoes. I wear my under armour pants, under armour bottom layer shirt and then layer everything else. I also wear gloves and a hat. I don't like anything on my face, my sometimes it does get chapped when it's really cold or windy. I don't really like it to tell you the truth. I love it afterwards but when I do it it's freaking cold.

I run on the street and am constantly looking for ice.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I wear a few layers of long johns under sweat pants and a insulated hooded jacket. I didnt want to buy a scarf so i cut the top off a old beanie that i wear around my neck and a pair of gloves. I strip all the clothes off imediately when i get back so i dont get sick.
  • superspork2
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much, these are really helpful. I'm less afraid to go out now haha. I knew people had to run in the winter.. I just wanted to make sure everyone else was doing it before I ended up looking more crazy then a person running in snow normally would...
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Running in cold weather on non snowy days where there is no ice could work, but I am not sure running in the snow is the best idea. On snowy days, indoor activities like pushups, situps, squats, or lunges could be the ticket.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    They make snow running shoes. I had a pair when I lived near Telluride, CO. and they worked great.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm in same position....I run 5/6k a few mornings a week, and worried if I have to give it up over winter then it will be a hard slog getting back into it.
    Great encouraging advice makes me feel better too!!!
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I run outside all winter. Snow and ice is the norm here. I use the same shoes that I normally wear but I install Ice Spikes in them. Never slipped last year at all. Don't even think about the conditions anymore when it comes to traction. The layering of clothes is a must. A good pair of wind pants over thermal tights just about handles most temps. Good luck and enjoy the winter.
  • lj3jones
    Options
    Running in cold weather on non snowy days where there is no ice could work, but I am not sure running in the snow is the best idea. On snowy days, indoor activities like pushups, situps, squats, or lunges could be the ticket.

this is BS. as long as you are careful there is no reason not to run all winter. I've been running through Canadian winters for 13 years and have not had any injuries from running on snow or ice.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    agree with all the above, I tend to take it a bit slower if i'm not sure how wet/slippery/icy the roads are or if going up/down a hill or various hazzards like that, but all in all, no issues running in winter.

I actually like it better, because the cold/snow clears up the roads, no dodging dogs, baby strollers, people walking 2-3 wide on the sidewalk.. I have the place all to myself. :bigsmile:
  • lj3jones
    Options
    agree with all the above, I tend to take it a bit slower if i'm not sure how wet/slippery/icy the roads are or if going up/down a hill or various hazzards like that, but all in all, no issues running in winter.

I actually like it better, because the cold/snow clears up the roads, no dodging dogs, baby strollers, people walking 2-3 wide on the sidewalk.. I have the place all to myself. :bigsmile:

I'm planing on running with the babe in the stroller this winter (as long as it isn't too cold).