Reigning yourself in on the holidays?

Options
I know that Christmas & Thanksgiving are really big food holidays, and since I've just started at MFP and dieting in general, I was wondering if anyone had any tips about "surviving" the attack of food that seems to come around every November-December? I want to eat enough (but not overeat, obviously) and still enjoy myself and all the dishes that my family members take so much pride in making. But I don't want to feel bad about it the next day!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I would never feel guilty over a holiday.

Eat some, not all. Enjoy yourself. Do some exercise that day if possible. Get back to logging the next day.

It really is that simple.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Excluding Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day, I intend to stay on my program and not overeat at all. Oddly, I'm pretty much never tempted to cheat. I might have a fleeting, "that looks so good," thought, but nothing looks so good that I'm going to go off plan.

On the two holidays, I will eat what I want within reason. As long as I can have a little bit of everything, I won't feel deprived.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I am pretty passionate about this topic. Here is what I have devised as my plan:1) stay away from the desserts at work that will be overflowing in my work's breakroom 2) work out consistently and maybe a bit harder during the holidays,3) if I know I have a holiday meal or party coming up..maybe "hoard" my calories a bit up to the day of the event 4) limit or have no alcohol (which is not a problem for me in the least 5) eat only the things that I truly LOVE during the holidays i.e. I LOVE stuffing but I am only "in like" with mashed potatoes :) 6) Load up on veggies first and foremost 7) more protein than carbs 8) Enjoy without feeling deprived!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My calorie number is pretty high so I survive the holidays. If I overdo it I rarely see a gain because I am eating the deficit and no more than that amount. If your calorie goal is really low, it might help to give yourself an extra 200-300 calories right off the bat. Depending on your stats it shouldnt really destroy your weightloss to eat a little more. The trick is to not eat more than your TDEE.

It comes down to choices. I prelog my weekends and family events. If I want chocolate or dessert I reduce my potato or starch portion to accomodate. Increasing your veggie portion generally doesnt have much impact on your bottom line but the added food helps keep you strong and full. At least a third of my plate are veggies. I know going in that I can have 6oz of turkey, 150g of potatoes, gravy, cranberries, etc. it makes rolling with changes easier too.

My family does finger foods for Christmas eve so I will be influencing the selections so that I get some healthy stuff to combat the wings, cheese and other treats. I serve my plate with everything I prelogged and when its gone, its gone. I don't nibble.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Carry a mace and a shield to protect yourself from "attack of food."

Seriously, enjoy yourself for one day, and exercise self control on all others. That's it!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    HELL TO THE NO!!!!!!
    EAT!
    DRINK!
    BE MEEEEEERRRRRRYYYYYY!
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    There was an article in this month's issue of Runners World that really hit home. I don't have it in front of me right now, so forgive me if I'm a little off on the figures. Basically it broke down the Thanksgiving meal by dish (your traditional meal) and how many miles you'd have to run to burn it off. For ONE plate of a traditional meal (turkey, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing and a piece of pie) you'd have to run 16.1 miles just to burn it off.

So with that said, I hope most plan on reigning it in! The calories add up quick! There is another article in RW that gives the best foods to eat at the holidays: http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/the-best-foods-to-eat-this-thanksgiving to help with some substitutions!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I am pretty passionate about this topic. Here is what I have devised as my plan:1) stay away from the desserts at work that will be overflowing in my work's breakroom 2) work out consistently and maybe a bit harder during the holidays,3) if I know I have a holiday meal or party coming up..maybe "hoard" my calories a bit up to the day of the event 4) limit or have no alcohol (which is not a problem for me in the least 5) eat only the things that I truly LOVE during the holidays i.e. I LOVE stuffing but I am only "in like" with mashed potatoes :) 6) Load up on veggies first and foremost 7) more protein than carbs 8) Enjoy without feeling deprived!

+1

I am working to stay on track.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    It's "reining it in." As in using reins to make a horse behave.

Unfortunately, I like mostly horse food: things made with grains. So I would best be served by having actual reins over my shoulders and a bit in my mouth so I don't go from house to house eating all the stuffing from each family's table.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think the key is to make allowances for those days but not to let those single holidays extend into a month long binge
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving: Total bloat. :drinker:

Christmas: Total bloat. :drinker:

Other holiday soirees: Moderation. :ohwell:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Your health, weight, nutrition, fitness, etc are not predicated on a handful of special occasions...these things are predicated on how you live your life most of the time. I don't worry about my calorie consumption on these OCCASIONS...I don't stuff myself to the gills either but I know I most certainly eat more calories than my standard maintenance. It makes no difference in the grand scheme...these are just a handful of days each year of many days.

I will enjoy my Thanksgiving feast and then go about life as usual the following day...Christmas will arrive and I will enjoy the traditional open house NM Christmas Eve and then the Christmas Day festivities...then i will go about business as usual. I don't do any special workouts and reduce calories before or after the fact.

I have a set 26 week workout schedule that I'm on (as I'm training for an event) and will stick to that...which means I have a lifting session on T-giving morning (as it is for every Thursday) and then the following Saturday with a long (30 mile) cycle ride on Sunday....I don't get up T-giving morning and decide I need to do some arbitrary workout to make up for my feast...your body just doesn't work that way....it's about what you're doing 90% of the time, not that 10%...but so many people worry and stress about that measly 10%, it's rather silly when you put it into perspective.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It's "reining it in." As in using reins to make a horse behave.

Unfortunately, I like mostly horse food: things made with grains. So I would best be served by having actual reins over my shoulders and a bit in my mouth so I don't go from house to house eating all the stuffing from each family's table.

Right now I'm picturing a horse with one of those oat feeders strapped around its head. That's how I would eat my Thanksgiving meal! Hahahaha
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    BAH. They are 2 days. Enjoy them and get back to the norm the next day.

You'd think the sky was falling (with food) with all the questions about the holidays coming up!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    For me, I have to treat it like I do every other day of the year. I can't allow myself to indulge, because it won't just be a few extra 100 calories. It'd be eating until I'm stuffed, then going back an hour later, plus eating 3-4 desserts. I'm still learning how to control myself.

I'm looking at it like I do every other meal. I will be keeping track on a notepad and logging it when I get home. I will be sticking with turkey instead of ham, more vegetables than starches, and will save some calories for dessert. I plan to do some extra exercise beforehand too, and drink plenty of water that day.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I like to have a little bit of everything I love, but not go crazy. That's my theory at least... but I usually gorge myself on turkey... at least it's a lean protien. :)
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to the "I don't really care" policy and just eat what I want, otherwise I don't have a good time.

If you really want to "rein it in" then just make sure you only take 1 scoop of everything, eat only one plateful at a meal, eat any and all veggies, go for a small piece of dessert, drink lots of water and eat slowly. The slower you eat, the fuller you get and the longer it lasts because you get less air in your food. Chew slow, swallow slow, put your fork down between bites and just slow it up.

You can also exercise that morning, eat a smaller breakfast/lunch [but still eat, starving yourself won't do you any good] and drink lots of water throughout the day.

Logging everything helps me stay in the habit of using MFP, or at least just throwing up a quick add.

It's only one day, it won't kill you to relax a bit or hinder your progress or anything like that.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I remember what is important this time of year. Most important is being with family and friends, catching up and having a few laughs. Everything else is secondary. I enjoy the food in moderation and watch the alcohol because it will lower inhibitions and make me eat more than necessary. Take joy in the love of those around you. Let that fill you up.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I work out fairly hard....run lots of miles....eat well....all year long. When an occasion comes along that involves high calorie foods or simply copious amounts of food, I'm in. I'll enjoy all the dinner and desserts and late even left overs. Because, when I wake up the next day, I'll have an 8 mile run staring me in the face. And, it's only a handful of days each year. The work I've done and the athletic goals I'm focussed on achieving will not be undone by a day or two here or there of being relaxed with my food intake.
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Rolling with the idea that "it is what you do 90% of the time not that 10%" idea- if someone is literally JUST starting making changes in their eating habits and fitness, than planning for these holidays might be different than people that have been or normally eat well and work out regularly?
    Me personally: I have been working out regularly for a year now. I am a few pounds from a "healthy BMI" and am really not worried about the holidays. I will workout as I normally would on those days, I will eat the things I love, I may "over-eat" but not by 1000s of calories, and I will eat how I have been afterwards. Not really an issue.

However, if you are just starting I would suggest moderation to ensure you stay focused and don't give up on this new "journey" (ugh, I hate that word-- but, meh).
    I was just starting last year- I tried to load up on turkey and non-starchy veggies, a get a taste, or smaller portions of my favorite desserts and carbs, and didn't worry too much about a couple 100 calories.

If you are a person that may be "de-railed" MENTALLY (I dont think one day can ruin your progress physically, IMO) than plan for moderation, otherwise- don't sweat it.