Quest bars as my dessert?

Options
Hi everyone! Just have a quick question! I absolutely LOVE quest bars and I was wondering if it would be okay to have them as a dessert at night? They have around 5-8 grams of fat, 3-5 net carbs, and 20 grams protein! I always have a sweet tooth at night and these are ao good and satisfy my dessert craving. I always have room in my macros/cals for them and i workout and eat healthy all day. I Just like my 1 treat at night, which is usually a "healthier" dessert like a weight watchers ice cream or something with healthier ingredients that I bake. Would a quest bar be okay to have as a dessert though? I pretty much always have a protein bar every day but just wasnt sure if it was okay to eat so late at night. I usually eat dessert around 9/9:30 and go to bed around 11

Replies

• pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Sure!! I do it all the time
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Sure, can't see the harm. They are delicious and pretty good macro wise, if it fits, eat it
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating late at night. I usually have a bedtime snack immediately before bed. I basically eat from about 6 pm until bedtime. Quest bars or whatever else you want (provided it fits your caloric goals and macros reasonably well) are fine.

This article is specifically talking about why people are afraid to eat carbs at night, but it applies to eating in general: http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/carbs-at-night-fat-loss-killer-or-imaginary-boogeyman/

Specifically:
    Most ‘experts’ who recommend limiting carbs at night do so because their assertion is since you will be going to sleep soon, your metabolism will slow down and those carbohydrates will have a greater chance at being stored as fat compared to if they were consumed earlier in the day where they would have a greater probability of being burned. Seems reasonable, but broscience always ‘sounds’ reasonable. These ‘experts’ also often assert that insulin sensitivity is reduced at night, shifting your carb storing directionality towards fat and away from muscle.

Let’s tackle the issue of metabolic rate slowing down at night time first. The logic behind this theory seems reasonable enough: you lie down in a bed and don’t really move, just sleep, so obviously you are burning less calories than if you are awake doing stuff, even if you are just sitting in a chair or couch resting, you have to burn more calories than just sleeping right? At first glance this seems to jive with work from Katoyose et al. which showed that energy expenditure decreased during the first half of sleep approximately 35% (1). However, these researchers did show that during the latter half of sleep energy expenditure significantly increased associated with REM sleep. So, there are rises and falls in sleeping metabolic rate (SMR), but what is the overall effect? Interestingly, at the very least it does not appear that the average overall energy expenditure during sleep is any different than resting metabolic rate (RMR) during the day (2, 3). Additionally, it appears that exercise increases sleeping metabolic rate significantly leading to greater fat oxidation during sleep (4). This seems to be in line with data from Zhang et al. which demonstrated that obese individuals had sleeping metabolic rates lower than their resting metabolic rates, whereas lean individuals had sleeping metabolic rates significantly greater than their resting metabolic rate (3). So unless you are obese, not only does your metabolism NOT slow down during sleep, it actually increases! The idea that you should avoid carbs at night because your metabolism slows down and you won’t ‘burn them off’ definitely doesn’t pass the litmus test.

tl;dr - it's fine to eat right before bed, carbs or otherwise

ET fix quote
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    After I just finally tried the new double chocolate chunk this evening, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I see nothing wrong with it...and oh boy, is this one delicious! (I definitely see one at some point of a lot of days ahead!)
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fine! As long as it fits into your macros/calories for the day, it will not do any harm in your progress, and if you enjoy them, it may actually help by letting you feel less deprived. Personally, I would rather have the same amount of calories from protein bar vs. Weight Watchers ice cream, because I sometimes have a hard time fitting in enough protein :)
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I love the Quest Bars...as for me..that is what I eat for a sweet tooth..As Long as you have the calories for it Go for it!!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I have my Quest bars at night all the time.