My office building has a gym but...

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    1. mind your own business and stop worrying about what other people do.
    2. you can work out before work, lunch or after work
    3. dont be a snitch it more than often turns against the snitcher
  • rachaelbarton
    rachaelbarton Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Tempting, but not honest. You asked ;)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Do you want to just do the minimum and get away with whatever you can at your job? Is that what you want?

Then fine. Do it that way.
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I work with my brother, so I get it nice...if we want to go to the gym...we just cover each other...

if you want to go, go, just say you thought it was allowed since someone else was.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I asked if I could work out at 3:00 in the afternoon for an hour, then work later in the day. My supervisor said it was cool. But I always stay that extra hour. By the way, I've seen some coworkers over the years get really negative and bitter when they start comparing themselves to other people. You never really know the whole story. I'd make an effort to get over it and take care of you.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Just because he does it, doesn't mean you should do it. Just be glad that your work provides you with (what I presume is a free) gym, and call it a day. Sooner or later he will get called out on it by someone, and it won't be pleasant for him.

THIS!!! Essentially you are pouting because you don't get to steal time from your employer...like, really? Be glad your work gym is free, I would be.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I completely get where you're coming from, regarding wishing you could take the same liberties as a co-worker, but my professional opinion is this:

1) Stop worrying about what other people are doing, and focus on YOUR job. If you get caught, it's your *kitten*, not his, that will be on the line. Don't rat him out. What he does is none of your business, and tattling will make you look like a snitch, not a team player.

2) If you have time to work out during the work day, you have time to look for or ask for other assignments to keep you busy. If your company were to suddenly start looking at downsizing, you want to be remembered for showing initiative and making yourself indispensable. You do NOT want to be remembered as "that girl who asked if she could work out while on the clock since she has nothing better to do."

I am sure it is not your intention to waste your company's resources, but that is how this will come off if you ask about it or if you just do it anyway and end up getting caught. My company downsized last year, and, as a member of the management team that made the layoff decisions, I am telling you that asking if you can work out when things are slow is like wearing a sign that says "My position isn't really that critical to the operation."

Best advice ever.

I work in IT as well and we also have a gym in our building. There are tons of people in there ALL day. There are a few of the people I work with who do as little as possible, arrive late, leave early, take long lunches all that jazz. It peeves me off too, but not because I feel that I should be allowed to do it as well. It peeves me off because my work ethic would never allow me to do something so underhanded and I just don't understand how others can do it.

I am starting another job Monday - One of my former clients asked me back for a much higher rate than what I am currently making so I accepted. The client that I now work for is sad to see me go but has also told me I am more than welcome back if the opportunity isn't what I was looking for. When people get to know you and see that you have a good work ethic good things happen. Maybe not right away but I have been 'saved' from being laid off MANY times over the past few years because no one ever has to worry about me not working. I am rarely if ever late, maybe take 1 or 2 sick days / year (only when I am sick) and rarely ask to leave early. It is to the point now that if on the odd occasion I need to leave early to get to a doctor's appointment my boss won't even ask me to dock my pay because he knows how much extra work I do around here without ever being asked.

Other people make no difference to me unless my work directly relies on them (which in IT is very rare). Just worry about yourself and know that eventually all the lazy butts will get what's coming to them even if you are not there to see it. If you are upset because you feel that you should be allowed to get away with it as well you might want to re-evaluate your own ethic because that kind of attitude will not serve you well in the long run.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what's the point of an office gym if you can't work out there- ESPECIALLY on lunch break!!!

That's nuts.

Do what ever is right for you- don't do something you will go to bed at night regretting and mind your own business.

Personally I could never EVER EVER work out at an office gym. nope never ever ever. even if it was fricking free. No way- no how. too much crap goes on at offices- and to have to put myself out on display for office monkeys to oggle over?

nope nope nope. I go to a gym- if I run into coworkers- or people I know- it's even stevens- we all are paying members there.
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The fact you are consciously "not ratting him out" is hilarious. I bet he is 10 times more valuable to the company than anyone else around him, and I'd hire the guy based only on this post. Why? Because he knows what he wants and then goes and gets it. He wants to workout so he does. Working out boosts energy and productivity. Even if he isn't staying late to "make up for it" I am willing to wager he doesn't need to, that he is a more effective employee during the other seven hours than most.

Get over yourself. Go workout or don't, but stop worrying about what Joe Awesome is doing.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am truely blessed in that my company is very supportive of a healthy lifestyle. At my company, you will often see Senior Level leaders in the Gym, as their schedule permits. We all make sure to get our work done and meet our deadlines, but if you need to hit the gym at a different time, or if I need to leave early / arrive late or take an odd lunch break to meet up with a trainer, no one says anything as long as I am getting my 10 hours in a day.
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you're company doesn't allow you to go during your working hours then come in early or leave late.

We have a gym here at work (that members pay for), I often go at different points in the day depending on meetings, workload etc.

If I have a full day then I go at the end of my day. If I feel my enthusiasm flagging or my brain going numb then I go to the gym for an hour. For every hour I spend in the gym during the working day - I make sure I'm here an hour and a half longer. I don't want to be seen a the the person who goes to the gym and leaves early - by the bosses, my co-workers or my staff.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What he does isn't relevant to you. If you want to work out during the day, talk to your manager about if it can be worked out. Your management's perspective is all that should be important to you.

I've had jobs where the hours were key and I've had jobs where the results were key. In the latter, there was more flexibility with time and it was fine for me to work out in the middle of the afternoon.

Just ask.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I like to work out in the afternoon, too. Between 2 - 3pm. I skip out on my lunch and try to get my workout done in less than an hour. Maybe he's worked out that kind of deal with his boss. And maybe you could, too.
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You sound as if you are way too worried about what the rest of the world is doing.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    what's the point of an office gym if you can't work out there- ESPECIALLY on lunch break!!!

Yeah I really don't get this either.

Offices that have gyms tend to allow you to use them instead of working (within reason), many go so far as to encourage the use. It doesn't really hurt productivity all that much, if at all, and it does tend to promote better morale and health.

Having an on-site gym with shower facilities and encouraging/allowing employees to use it while on the clock tends to give employers not insignificant insurance discounts, which an more than make up for the dollar value of any productivity loss.

Doing what you can to have healthier employees is part of being a good employer.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    We are not allowed to use our lunch break, this I know for sure because the lunch break is mandatory and you HAVE to get approval on a daily basis just to work through your lunch break if you wanted to leave early or something like that.

This confuses me. Do you mean that they force you to eat on your lunch break rather than working out? If it's mandatory, that means you have to take a lunch break, but they don't tell you what you have to do on that break, do they?
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    We are not allowed to use our lunch break, this I know for sure because the lunch break is mandatory and you HAVE to get approval on a daily basis just to work through your lunch break if you wanted to leave early or something like that. You would not be allowed to do that but on occasion. I work in IT as well but we have stricter policies here than most places. This is why I am pretty certain if anyone else were to do this and get caught they would get written up. But the main supervisor and one of my other coworkers are best friends (they are the ones you have to watch your back around) and they both like him - so I don't know if they have just not figured it out yet or if they just turn a blind eye.

Is your lunch paid? Do you clock out? I'm just curious how they can tell someone they can't fit in a work out at lunch if they are not paying them for that time. Thanks! Good Luck!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    narcs get murked
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good advice here and I will echo it. Do the right thing. It sucks, but I don't think it's worth getting in to trouble and/or losing your job over. I'm lucky enough that I get three hours a week where I can hit the gym and my boss will even allow me to add my lunch into that. Maybe the right thing would be to see if any other employees are looking for time to work out and see if you can get something changed with the company policy?
  • JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    What this guy does is irrelevant to what you are going to do. How is it related? I don't get it. Somebody does something dishonest, so . . . therefore, you can cheat too?

I didn't say that. What I'm saying is it's not fair. And I don't know if he's doing it because he's gotten the OK to do it or if he's just not being caught, or if the supervisor is just ignoring it. But I think a previous poster had a good idea I could just casually ask him how he got permission to go the gym and see what he says.