Will my over hang ever go away?

Options
I'm a 20 year old girl, over the last 9 months I've lost 50kg (110lbs), but I still have loose skin that hangs over my gut. Is it ever going to go away?

Replies

• phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I think the only way to get rid of it is stomach crunches, leg lifts & walking! but it may not all go away unless you have it surgically removed! that is my plan!
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    heavy lifting is your best bet, otherwise it could take years for your skin to shrink back.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm a 20 year old girl, over the last 9 months I've lost 50kg (110lbs), but I still have loose skin that hangs over my gut. Is it ever going to go away?

Congratulations on your weight loss!

I don't know about loose skin, but I've heard it can bounce back to a certain degree but it takes a few years, especially if you are young. Exercise helps.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    heavy lifting is your best bet, otherwise it could take years for your skin to shrink back.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It is said that abs are born in the kitchen, but really they are born through strength training and revealed in the kitchen. Your best bet is heavy strength work focusing on front barbell squats, along with eating at a deficit. For even better results you will want to modify your diet to be higher in protein and lower in carbs.
    I also recommend doing at least one day a week of an HIIT or Tabata workout of your choice.
    I highly recommend this article to get started: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy, have patience, and prosper! :flowerforyou:
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting isn't going to fix loose skin. I'm afraid the elasticity of your skin has to do with genetics, age, the speed which you lost the weight..... it might tighten up a bit. But depending on how much you have... surgery may be the only option.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting isn't going to fix loose skin.

Actually it does help.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Actually it does help.

Here is an article on the subject with lots of linked science stuff! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-get-rid-of-excess-skin-after-major-weight-loss/#axzz2lLFRdPdZ
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Actually it does help.

Here is an article on the subject with lots of linked science stuff! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-get-rid-of-excess-skin-after-major-weight-loss/#axzz2lLFRdPdZ

I like science!!
  • lovemehobo
    Options

That article was very helpful thank you!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Just remember that your loose skin in no way diminishes the amazing accomplishment you've achieved. :flowerforyou:
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    In honesty you have had quite a weightloss but I still hold out hope for at least alot of improvement. I see monthly improvements to my c-section pooch as I lose the pounds and LIFT HEAVY! I also consistently apply Jergens Skin Firming lotion to my belly every morning before getting dressed, after my shower..I think that it has been helping the appearance. I say to get down to the weight you want through cardio and lifting and reevaluate after. I have heard that if it is quite severe and causing you certain medical issues that health insurance will indeed pay for it..I just would not jump the gun until you are pretty happy with the remainder of your results. Best of luck to you!