Success on a Vegetarian Diet?

Options

Replies

• trishmattice
    Options
    I've lost over 30 pounds and I eat a mostly vegetarian diet.
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    Changing your diet, or cutting out something that you previously ate much of you most likely will lose weight. I've lost weight just by starting to have more control of what I eat by making most of it myself and practicing portion control.
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since I was five years old. I never liked eating meat prior to that (it's a texture thing for me. I cook meat for my SO, and have no problem buying it, preparing it, etc. in my house, I just can't stomach the idea of eating it. Believe me, I've tried). I used to ask "did the turkey have a mother? did it hurt when it died?" when I was three years old at the dinner table. I also pretended I was a dog (out of protest) at age 4 until my parents took me to the shelter to get a dog. I must have been such a joy to raise...

Anyway. I track everything I eat, weigh all of my food, and experiment with a lot of recipes. My diary is open for friends to view. Feel free to add me, just send a message with your friend request. :)

When I was 5 my mother had me and my sisters help cut up wild sheep and deer that we got from family. We had entire carcases in the basement on a table and my task was to remove tenions (?). We knew where our meat came from, down to the spot where they were shot.

That said I don't like the concept of modern farming where animals are cramped together and never get to move let alone show any natural behaviour. I get my meat from ecological farms that I know threat the animals good when they are alive, or from wild caught game. I'm going to send you a friend request, because you sound nice.
  • runitskat
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian but I eat meat on vary rare occasions. For every day meals I eat a lot of grains/beans (quinoa, barley, lentils) with veggies. I've never been big into dairy as it makes me break out so I eat a little bit of cheese but that's pretty much it. When I started getting healthier I would eat a few ounces of meat with each meal but gradually phased it out as I don't like the way meat makes me feel in general. I've lost about 80lbs by doing this but I can't say that eating meat vs. not eating meat made much of a difference. Like everyone else said it's all about in vs. out.
  • kaittea
    kaittea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, my going vegetarian is absolutely a moral thing. I have every intention of returning to vegetarianism regardless of what you guys say in terms of whether or not it's helpful for weightloss, I was just curious if any of you were effected by cutting out meat just because of the whole idea that low-fat diets are what the government recommends to lose weight and be healthy.

I do expect to lose weight from going vegetarian just because right now my downfall is eating a lot of processed meat with not very many vegetables. The first time I became vegetarian I remember eating significantly more vegetables but my lack of tracking/excess of cheese and bread probably cancelled out my efforts. Thanks everyone for your input!
  • kaittea
    Options
    Being a vegetarian doesn't guarantee anything...either weight control or nutritionally speaking. There's nothing inherently "evil" about meat and in deed, we've evolved to consume it...so if your reasons for going veg are because you think that by eliminating "evil" meat you will some how lose weight then that is a stupid reason...there are many legit reasons to go veg, but that isn't one of them.

Keep in mind that you will have to make up for the nutrients lost from not eating meat...this isn't necessarily difficult, but you do need to know which foods to choose and make sure you're eating them to get proper nutrition. It is likely you will need to supplement with B-12 as well. Also a lot of veggies suffer from anemia so keep an eye on your iron and make sure you're getting enough

Being a vegetarian can be a healthy lifestyle if you make it a healthy lifestyle...just as being carnivorous can be a healthy lifestyle or not...it's all what you make of it and ultimately comes down to your nutritional decisions. One or the other is not necessarily better or worse...either way, if you consume a balance of energy then you will maintain weight...if you consume a surplus of energy you will gain weight...if you consume a deficit of energy you will lose weight...the weight loss part is just math and has ZERO to do with whether you are carnivorous or veggie or vegan or paleo or whatever...

I'm not eliminating it because I think it's "evil". If that were the case I never would have gone back to eating meat once I stopped in the first place. I've done a lot of research and realize that meat is fine for our body. I don't believe eating it is unhealthy or stopping it will make me lose weight. My issue is that I eat a lot of processed meat... not so healthy. So by eliminating meat, not only am I clearing my conscience (because I really hate that I currently support cruelty and the envrionmental issues and everything associated with a meat-heavy diet) but hopefully forcing myself to incorporate more clean foods. Thanks for the input!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What are your goals anyways? And have you tried to eat whole lean meats and stop eating processed meats? And has eating processed meats caused you to go over your calories?
  • kaittea
    Options
    What are your goals anyways? And have you tried to eat whole lean meats and stop eating processed meats? And has eating processed meats caused you to go over your calories?

There have been points where I've limited myself to lean unprocessed meats, but it seems easy for it to sneak back in my diet (especially when I was following a really strict high fat low carb diet). It's a little harder on my calories but my main issue is the sodium that these processed meats have. When I was a vegetarian I was very experimental with trying new veg and recipes and (even despite the cheese/bread) felt pretty great.
    Like, for example, when I was doing the ketogenic diet, for snacks on road trips I had a pepperoni stick and a cheese stick. When I went vegetarian I had a dish of raw broccoli and cauliflower and some nuts. Eating meat has me more worried about my macros than the actual content of where my calories are coming from, I think.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 15+ years and I have not found it to hinder or help weight loss. When I gain weight it's because I'm eating too much and when I lose weight it's because I'm eating less.
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Am trying to go close to raw veganism (80%). But honestly i wouldn't go for it for weight lost. For me it's a lifestyle, doing something good according to my body (eating meat makes me tired) and for the planet when I see how the large companies grow and treat the animals...
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Apocalypse_Meow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    (I didn't read the replies because anti vegetarian posts make me angry, and questions like this usually get tons of those)

I'm a vegetarian with an open food diary (cutting down my egg and dairy intake too) feel free to add me or stalk my diary.
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Pescatarian here, open diary! Anyone please feel free to add me. I'm working on eat less processed meat substitutes, all of the GMOs and sodium scare me so I'd love to have people to get ideas from as well. I have not eaten meat throughout my weight loss, but I do attribute some of my gain to relying too much on cheesy, carb loaded veggie options in restaurants. It's definitely a learning process to slowly subsitute whole, healthy proteins.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Calorie in calorie out I am a vegetarian as well, but just keep in mind it will not be more effective then if you ate meat as well. You still have to eat less than you burn.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, my going vegetarian is absolutely a moral thing. I have every intention of returning to vegetarianism regardless of what you guys say in terms of whether or not it's helpful for weightloss, I was just curious if any of you were effected by cutting out meat just because of the whole idea that low-fat diets are what the government recommends to lose weight and be healthy.

I do expect to lose weight from going vegetarian just because right now my downfall is eating a lot of processed meat with not very many vegetables. The first time I became vegetarian I remember eating significantly more vegetables but my lack of tracking/excess of cheese and bread probably cancelled out my efforts. Thanks everyone for your input!

Moral reasons are the best reasons :flowerforyou:
  • mandi_spicer
    mandi_spicer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Kaittea! I have been a vegetarian for 1 year and have lost 30 lbs (with exercise, calorie counting and a balanced diet). I eat grains about once a day and always make sure they are whole grain or whole wheat. The only animal product I eat is cheese (for now!). I eat/drink almond/soy/coconut milk, yogurt and ice cream. I get my proteins from beans, legumes, leafy greens and mock meats with no trouble meeting my daily requirements. I do watch my soy intake. If you add me, my diary is open to friends.

There is a group here called Happy Herbivores that you might like! Also, theppk.com is a great source for vegan recipes. :) Good luck!
  • mandi_spicer
    mandi_spicer Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Moral reasons are the best reasons :flowerforyou:

AGREED!
  • JBearsMom21
    JBearsMom21 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I didn't go vegetarian to lose weight. I did it for economical, moral and personal reasons. most of my weight loss has been on a vegetarian "diet" (although I did consume fish in the begging) I used to eat dairy quite a bit but have severely limited it within in the past few months.I don't eat eggs or yogurt and have cheese maybe once a week. I eat grains about every other day. Sometimes less.I have an open diary to anyone on my friends list so feel free to add me! I could always use more vegetarian friends :)
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    Add me if you like :smile: I have been vegetarian for 6-7 years and love it. I haven't lost weight since then (actually I've gained), but that's just because I love food and hate exercise. You can be vegan and live of soft drink and chips- it's not necessarily a 'healthy' lifestyle. It is just as variable as an omnivorous diet.

I eat much healthier nowadays (today is an exception :laugh: ) but now I just need to work on portion control.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and have been for 3+ years and I feel that i'm pretty healthy in the fact that I can sustain intense workouts, and my blood work results are excellent. I'm vegetarian for health and moral reasons and love it! I have an open diary, so feel free to check it out. I also agree with the other posters in the fact that calories count as far as weight loss and eating at a deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

There have been points where I've limited myself to lean unprocessed meats, but it seems easy for it to sneak back in my diet (especially when I was following a really strict high fat low carb diet). It's a little harder on my calories but my main issue is the sodium that these processed meats have. When I was a vegetarian I was very experimental with trying new veg and recipes and (even despite the cheese/bread) felt pretty great.
    Like, for example, when I was doing the ketogenic diet, for snacks on road trips I had a pepperoni stick and a cheese stick. When I went vegetarian I had a dish of raw broccoli and cauliflower and some nuts. Eating meat has me more worried about my macros than the actual content of where my calories are coming from, I think.

Do you have any fitness goals?

And have you considered doing a standard diet where you follow a specific calorie goal and not restricted all types of foods? I ask because it seems like you have done nothing but extreme diets (keto, low carb, vegetarian)? I personally found when I don't restrict the things I like, I comply with a calorie goal much better. And since you are young, if you exercise, you will easily be able to do a 1800-2000 calorie diet. Now, you can cut out processed foods if you prefer or aim for eating whole foods "xx" number of days, but in the end, you can eat processed meats if it fits in your caloric goal. I personally found when I cut out bread, I wasn't as successful. Now that I incorporate a daily Klondike bar, I do much better.

Also, I hope you don't see this as trying to talk you out of going vegetarian but rather trying to pinpoint your goals and helping give you a plan to achieve that. Keeping in mind, the diet is only a part of the equation... exercise is the other part.