How did you improve your willpower?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm so frustrated with myself. I was doing so well, I've lost just over 50 lbs in the past year, with most of that being in the last four or so months. I took a new job that is more physically demanding, and which also doesn't give breaks other than one 30 minute midday break which leaves me ravenous before lunch and after work. I also work a different shift every day. I can't seem to eat enough for breakfast (have always had a hard time eating a lot at breakfast time) or at lunch to keep me going.

This leads to me buying a chocolate bar or bingeing on something like cheese puffs or cereal and overdoing it by a lot. It doesn't seem to matter if I have healthier foods with me; I have weighed out crackers (Trader Joe's multigrain sesame or something like that) or a weighed out serving of cereal, and some kind of fruit (apples, oranges or pears typically).

Usually lunch is quinoa/rice mix, or rice, and some kind of protein (pork loin, beef strips, or chicken). I also don't have a lot of money, energy, or time to prepare stuff every night. I often make the quinoa and protein on the weekend, about three days worth. Dinner at home is supposed to be a tv dinner like lean cuisine, or lately cheap ramen. But what really happens is I end up buying a bag of cheetos and a bar of chocolate and that becomes my dinner. It also becomes expensive.

I don't know how to exercise more willpower and stick with my daily plan, or make it so I'm looking forward to dinner and don't feel the urge to stop for something to eat. I am unsatisfied by the food I'm eating even when I'm definitely full, if that makes sense. Sure, I can eat something that leaves me full for 4 hours (and the quinoa/protein usually does ok with that) but I don't feel "finished" eating.

I guess I just need some general advice or suppport. Is there anyone else out there in my position?

Replies

• feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Remember how far you've come and where you want to go. maybe put a before/after picture in with your wallet so when you grab some to get a chocolate bar you re-think it. Try new foods and pre-cooking like you do is a great idea. My recommendation is to cook big meals and freeze some so it's more variety-cook 2 or 3 times a week and freeze portions...rotate so it's more appealing :)
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Write your goal weight on your dominate hand in between your index finger and your thumb, that way when you pick up a spoon or a fork or anything like that you will see that number and it may help you to think twice.
  • cmstirp
    cmstirp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    How are you doing with sleep? I've found that I crave more junk food (and give into the cravings more) when I don't get enough sleep. Congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • mirrinias
    mirrinias Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Remember how far you've come and where you want to go. maybe put a before/after picture in with your wallet so when you grab some to get a chocolate bar you re-think it. Try new foods and pre-cooking like you do is a great idea. My recommendation is to cook big meals and freeze some so it's more variety-cook 2 or 3 times a week and freeze portions...rotate so it's more appealing :)

Not a bad idea! Cook a couple smaller meals and freeze to have a variety instead of having 6 servings of one type of food. The only problems I see is I have a ridiculously tiny freezer and a low budget, I get pretty bad anxiety when I spend more than $30 in one grocery shopping trip. And yet, I spend $3-$8 a day on junk food.
    How are you doing with sleep? I've found that I crave more junk food (and give into the cravings more) when I don't get enough sleep. Congrats on your weight loss so far!

You're right, sleep has been minimal this week. Thank you, also!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you just need to decide you're not going to eat junk for lunch and then...don't. If you want, plan a "junky" lunch for weigh-in day or the day after. I find it a lot easier to stick to the plan most days if I have a planned treat to look forward to in the future. I've had a cheesecake in my freezer for a week, but I refuse to touch it until after weigh-in. I've almost broken a few times, but setting a goal and just knowing I'll have it at some point makes me more able to resist temptation. I work treats into my diet most days, but I save the big stuff for my planned maintenance-calorie days.

Telling yourself you can't have it without planning a time when you can makes it a whole lot harder than it needs to be.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from... I've lost about 50 pounds this year (more than my ticker shows) and have a hectic life, too, plus am a junk food addict in my soul. I absolutely know that I will be back where I started if I don't watch myself.

Meal planning is key to everything. I have to cook stuff ahead of time and take it with me or I'm sunk -- enough for the day and with some variety or I get bored. I eat a lot of lentils and vegetables -- the lentils have 18 g protein in one cup (the protein of 3 eggs). I can cook a large pot (no soaking required) and then stir fry several cups of lentils in a little olive oil with sweet onions, tomatoes, etc. and a little spice (like the no salt, no MSG McCormick Perfect Pinch line). Then I have enough for the week. I take that to work sometimes with brown rice and steamed kale or some other green and fruit for snacks.

If you're totally strapped, I would suggest finding a protein shake that you like, mix some up, and take it with you for a snack or a meal. That would be completely easy to drink at work. Some companies will send samples if you pay for shipping. Protein is supposed to keep hunger away longer than anything else.

The thing about eating junk food is the sugar, corn syrup, etc. in will make you hungry and thirsty, so people eat the stuff, then are hungry for more, and crave soda and sweets, which repeats the cycle. Water is the best thing to drink.
  • mirrinias
    Options
    Honestly, you just need to decide you're not going to eat junk for lunch and then...don't. If you want, plan a "junky" lunch for weigh-in day or the day after. I find it a lot easier to stick to the plan most days if I have a planned treat to look forward to in the future. I've had a cheesecake in my freezer for a week, but I refuse to touch it until after weigh-in. I've almost broken a few times, but setting a goal and just knowing I'll have it at some point makes me more able to resist temptation. I work treats into my diet most days, but I save the big stuff for my planned maintenance-calorie days.

Telling yourself you can't have it without planning a time when you can makes it a whole lot harder than it needs to be.

I agree...but my issue is how to actually stick with the decision to not eat something. It's easy to say to myself I'll be good and not eat this today and stick with the plan and then when I'm really hungry and want something fast, it's like a switch has flipped in my brain and poor logic like "what if I had the treat now and not then? that would be fine" or "well, it'll fit in the budget" or "I"ll just not eat something later and have this now instead" and obviously that backfires but it's like all sense has fled from my brain when it happens.

If you have any advice for coping with that or how you have trained yourself to make the decision to not eat it and then stick with it, as it sounds like you've had some success with that, I would appreciate it.

I weigh every day so I can't really coordinate with weigh-ins. And I'm not going to stop weighing in every day so I hope no one gets on my case about that.
  • mirrinias
    Options
    The thing about eating junk food is the sugar, corn syrup, etc. in will make you hungry and thirsty, so people eat the stuff, then are hungry for more, and crave soda and sweets, which repeats the cycle. Water is the best thing to drink.

Thankfully, I do not have an issue with soda! I have the good luck of not really liking it. I drink tons of water and always have a water bottle with me, as well as tea that I do not take with sugar or milk or anything else. And I've definitely found that protein fills me up the most. I get really hungry and impatient or even sickly feeling and compensate with something that's going to give me that instant sugar rush to fix it :(
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

I agree...but my issue is how to actually stick with the decision to not eat something. It's easy to say to myself I'll be good and not eat this today and stick with the plan and then when I'm really hungry and want something fast, it's like a switch has flipped in my brain and poor logic like "what if I had the treat now and not then? that would be fine" or "well, it'll fit in the budget" or "I"ll just not eat something later and have this now instead" and obviously that backfires but it's like all sense has fled from my brain when it happens.

I weigh every day so I can't really coordinate with weigh-ins. And I'm not going to stop weighing in every day so I hope no one gets on my case about that.

I weigh every day too, but I only log it on Friday. If you're going to give yourself permission to eat it, you're going to eat it. The only way you're going to get through this and get where you want to be is to be strong. In the end, you do control what goes into your mouth. I wish there was some magical advice to make it easier.
  • munchlaxx
    munchlaxx Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You just have to learn self control. It becomes easier after the first week. I recently had to mentally slap myself because I started to gain a lot of my weight back. I just remind myself that I don't want to get back up to where I started, especially since it took so long...
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    You seem to already pre-prepare a bit of food, but I'd take that to the next level and try to prepare most of your meals for the week in one day, at least for both lunch and dinner. Batch cooking has been excellent for me and it saves you money otherwise spent on snacks when you're too tired or out of time to cook something. I love keeping a big pot of minestrone-type soup around, which has plenty of vegetables and other nutritious ingredients (just watch sodium). Pre-making healthy snack bars could also be great to bring to work with you! Quick and small to eat when you need a nibble, but want to abstain from sweets. Everything else is just consistency :)

edit: don't forget to stay hydrated!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Pre-plan your calories for the day, eat the same thing most days to stay stable, and include some junk food in your plan. Also, try to find the best junk food for your 'money' (calories)!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Soups and stews can be very flavorful and are great to freeze in potions. There are tons of different recipes on the internet.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am usually starving by lunch. So I started eating walnuts (10g) and raisins (20g) between breakfast and lunch. I also drink a lot of water. That usually fills me up.

My PT told me last night to stop eating cereal (honey nut cheerios) for breakfast and switch to oatmeal. Today I did 1/2 cup of oatmeal (not instant), 1/2 greek yogurt, and 1 cup of blackberries. I'm still plowing away at it but I know it will satisfy me and my sugar cravings until lunch.
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options

THIS

I also gave up cherrios for breakfast and switch to oatmeal ... try to make your breakfast BIG, I struggle with it to. When I do it right i am not tearing up the junk food isle by lunch ... just remember where you were before and try to SNACK ALL DAY!!

50540473.png
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    By remembering that having complete physical control over my body is a privilege I shouldn't abuse.
  • happygolucky721
    happygolucky721 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    By remembering that having complete physical control over my body is a privilege I shouldn't abuse.

I love that quote *feeling inspired*
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    One thing that works for me is to log the junk food I want to eat before I even buy it. Seeing it there in my diary, wrecking the rest of my day, can sometimes make me stop.

I also have a problem with rationalizing all the behaviours that I want to stop in general but I really want to indulge in RIGHT NOW. Sometimes if I write down the rationalization, it helps me see how ridiculous it usually is. "I don't want to be tempted by this cake later, so if I eat it now, I will have it out of the way so I can eat really well from then on" actually makes sense in my head, but on paper it's just stupid.

Plus, all of the tips you see on controlling your environment, getting support, mini goals, etc. can help. It won't increase your willpower but it will decrease your need for willpower. Just don't rid your environment of junk food by eating it all :laugh: