Any idea how to cut sugars?

chickcounselor
chickcounselor Posts: 6
edited September 22 in Recipes
* I am borderline high glucose.

* I eat LOW SUGAR Oatmeal (6g sugar) with 1% milk (12g sugar) but that is already 18/24g of my daily allowance of sugars!

* Any alternatives to 1% milk?

* So I go over my sugars daily when I add fruit or anything else after breakfast.

* HELP!!! Ideas???

* Recipes or foods that are low in sugar but still sweet?

Replies

• mskees22
    mskees22 Posts: 8 Member
    I have always just used water with my oatmeal and I think it tastes great!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Unsweetened almond milk. Good stuff and tastes very close to real milk,
  • 1) skim milk or, like khskr1 said, unsweetened almond milk is delicious.

2) use a natural sugar subsitute like splenda or stevia in any recipe that calls for white sugar to cut down on the sugars, there's only two sugars per tsp of powdered stevia. and bonus it has no calories!

3) fruit sugar is GOOD FOR YOU! The kind of sugar that your body is actually trying to get when you crave sweets is usually fructose. i tend to ignore when i go over just because of fruits. fruits are good for you so why let a silly website tell me that i shouldnt be eating them. there are LOTS of diet plans that tell you not to count fruit sugars because then you would not eat any fruit and thats not healthy.

good luck with your sugar problems! and i hope this helps!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    First of, just use old fashion oatmeal. It will taste the same and much better. Instead of using milk, just use wate as it will also taste the same.

If you are like me, use the spray butter subsitues and sugar subsitutes. Also, it fast. this is an example of how I fix mine.

1/2 cup old fashion oatmeal in 1 cup of water.

Microwave for 3 minuets.

Mix in Sugar subsitue to taste. I use to use splenda now use stevia.
    Spray butter subsitue spray. for me, it the "I can't belive it's not butter" spray. Kraft has one also Zero Calories.

Calories 150_________ Sodium 0 mg
    Total Fat 3 g _________Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 1 g ________Total Carbs 27 g
    Polyunsaturated 1 g ___Dietary Fiber 4 g
    Monounsaturated 1 g __Sugars 1 g
    Trans 0 g ___________Protein 5 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 0% ________Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% ________Iron 10%
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    try steel cut oats........

I cook them in the crock pot, nice and creamy

1 cup steel cut oats
    4 cups water

I put them on about 10pm and at 7am they are ready.
    This makes enough for 4 days.

Don't worry about fruit sugars, unless your doctor
    has an issue with them
  • i agree, try almond milk. it's delicious!! our family loves it. our 2 yr old drinks it instead of regular milk. it has less sugar and less calories!
  • I will try that, thanks! I'm assuming you can buy it in a regular grocery store?
  • Great ideas! Thank you all for responding. I will look for almond milk. I've never heard of it.
  • twinsmomma02
    twinsmomma02 Posts: 79 Member
    Silk Light Almond Milk is amazing.... I will never buy regular milk again strictly because of ther sugar content! I buy Silk Light at Super Target or Walmart. 70 cals per serving and only 6 grams of sugar. I also make my oatmeal with water and try to stay away from packaged/processed foods as much as possible due to the sugar and salt content.
  • Smyles2u
    Smyles2u Posts: 48 Member
    Amarillo, I agree with you and twinsmomma... and all of the almond/soy milk takers
    I do the 1minute oats with water and to make it interesting, i add sauteed mushrooms and onions, if I want sweet I may add blueberries...
    Good luck
    Im still trying to get to the steel cut oats(much better for you, not all of the processing as in 1min or old fashioned).
  • What are steel cut oats? Never heard of them.
  • MizBee
    MizBee Posts: 37
    1) skim milk or, like khskr1 said, unsweetened almond milk is delicious.

2) use a natural sugar subsitute like splenda or stevia in any recipe that calls for white sugar to cut down on the sugars, there's only two sugars per tsp of powdered stevia. and bonus it has no calories!

3) fruit sugar is GOOD FOR YOU! The kind of sugar that your body is actually trying to get when you crave sweets is usually fructose. i tend to ignore when i go over just because of fruits. fruits are good for you so why let a silly website tell me that i shouldnt be eating them. there are LOTS of diet plans that tell you not to count fruit sugars because then you would not eat any fruit and thats not healthy.

good luck with your sugar problems! and i hope this helps!

i DEF AGREE WITH WHAT SHE'S SAYING HERE ABOUT THE FRUIT SUGARS BEING HEALTHY. i HAVE RESEARCHED IT ON MY OWN, ON VARIOUS OTHER SITES AND THE SUGARS FROM FRUIT SHOULDNT EVEN BE TALLIED INTO YOUR DAILY INTAKE. YOU SHOULD ONLY BE CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR "ADDED SUGAR." LIKE ADDING SUGAR IN YOUR COFFEE OR A SLICE OF PIE... THINGS LIKE THAT. i WAS DRIVING MYSELF CRAZY TOO WITH THE SUGAR THING... LOL. NOW IM DEF MORE RELAXED. HOPE THIS HELPED. :) GOOD LUCK
This discussion has been closed.