Getting enough calories AND also enough protein?

Options
Hi all! First off i'm new to MFP overall and this is the first time i've counted calories (previously tried LCHF, Candida, and some extreme fasting/starving diets) currently I'm going for 5:2 diet and also restricting calories.

I'm currently somewhere around 70-75 kg but i have alot of extra abdominal fat, which is why i'm trying to lose some of it, Body Fat % around 26% (using two different calculating methods) and 178cm long.

Since i started counting calories (about 2 weeks ago) i've noticed that i have problems with eating ENOUGH food for my goal at 0.5kg per week (1lbs/w) weightloss, could this be solely due to me thinking about what i'm eating?
Also i'm afraid of putting my body in starvation, does it really have to be 1 200 kcal Net, or might it be enough with eating above this (I manage about 1 600 a day). The reason i'm asking is that my exercises usually put my net intake at about 900 or something.

Also i have a problem getting enough protein, I eat lots of lentils, eggs and mushroom (lakto-vegetarian) and I eat a broad variety of different foods, due to that i would think that it would be enough protein but logging theese 2 weeks i see that i barely reach 1g protein/kg bodyweight which i take it isnt enough?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thank you in advance!
=]

Replies

• pastelraindrops
    Options
    yes it is important not to have a net under 1,200!! It is unhealthy and will slow your metabolism. I've only seen lower in extreme weight loss diets. I have the same protein problem! I'm vegetarian and it seems like my calories would be super high if i got enough protein, plus all my meals would be dedicated to getting enough protein and im kind of stuck >_<
  • kellybellyjellyn
    Options
    I just tried Tofu for the first time today and Vegetarian.

100g = 76kcal + 8g Protein.
  • Fight_with_discipline
    Options
    Thank you for your answer!
    Basically that means that people who are not very overweight cannot have a healthy 2lbs or 1kg a week weightloss?
    Also it seems as if 1200 calories are somewhat a general number? based on how many calories?
    hypothetically if i would be able to eat and meet the goals for all my nutrients, would my body still go into stavation if i eat less than 1200?

Also thank you for the tip on Tofu, i'll look around for it, another tip from me is eco soyflower, cheap natural and 40% protein, though with a distinct taste, i'll be back if i find a good shake recipe with it!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your answer!
    Basically that means that people who are not very overweight cannot have a healthy 2lbs or 1kg a week weightloss?
    Also it seems as if 1200 calories are somewhat a general number? based on how many calories?
    hypothetically if i would be able to eat and meet the goals for all my nutrients, would my body still go into stavation if i eat less than 1200?

2lbs a week is probably an excessive rate of loss for someone who isn't very overweight. Even at 75kg you're in the 'healthy' weight range.

Many people find they get better results aesthetically (which is what you are looking for) with a more moderate deficit combined with lifting weights. Losing weight too fast can result in increased muscle loss -- which means that you need to lose even more weight to get to the bodyfat percentage you want.
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    All of the above advice pretty much covers what I would have said. For protein, have you tried quinoa? I recently started experimenting with it, you can make some delicious dishes with it!
  • nlb1106
    nlb1106 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode isn't real just eating too few calories isn't good for your body
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Dieting was easy until I switched to high protein/low carb to reduce body fat percentage. It basically cut what I can eat by about 80%. Whole Foods has many textures of tofu. Just remember to store it in fresh water in the fridge, and change the water frequently.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and mozzarella are amazing for veggie protein, and if you're sticking to low cals go for low fat versions. I get the Sainsburys Good to Yourself ones which are: 300g tub of low fat cottage cheese 220 cals and 32g of protein, 125g ball of low fat mozz is 220 cals and 24g protein. Use as dressings/shred/mix with other things
  • Fight_with_discipline
    Options
    I'm not aiming for 2lbs a week its just that my calorie deficit is around 1000 a day since i feel that i've already eaten enough and due to workouts, i actually have problems eating more calories and also eating back exercise calories, this is due to me trying to get rid of some body fat and it feels like the wrong idea to eat more

I'm thinking about getting some shakes with bananas and protein flower to get both protein and calories
  • Flex382
    Flex382 Posts: 257
    Options
    First you need to get on a good meal plan before you start cutting.
    Daily
    Protein 1 to 1.5grams per 1lb of bodyweight
    Carbs 1gram per 1lb of bodyweight
    Fat .5grams per 1lb of bodyweight

After a couple of weeks wehn you weight platos then keep protein and fats same but drop carbs to .5 grams for 2 to 4 weeks with a high carb day on rest days to jump start your motbalism.
  • Fight_with_discipline
    Options
    Daily
    Carbs 1gram per 1lb of bodyweight
    Fat .5grams per 1lb of bodyweight

After a couple of weeks wehn you weight platos then keep protein and fats same but drop carbs to .5 grams for 2 to 4 weeks with a high carb day on rest days to jump start your motbalism.

I'm by no means even close to 1g protein / lb, do you have any other suggestions than those in the thread for achieving this?
    currently getting about 0.5g / lb of protein
  • ghsfitnesspal
    ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have quinoa if I want a grain, but have found that black eyed beans give you more protein with fewer cals and carb grams against it if you need that.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hi all! First off i'm new to MFP overall and this is the first time i've counted calories (previously tried LCHF, Candida, and some extreme fasting/starving diets) currently I'm going for 5:2 diet and also restricting calories.

If you are heavily restricting calories on your 5 normal eating days then you are not following the 5:2 diet. The 5 days should be normal eating (maintenance or TDEE would be a good interpretation).

One of the groups of people specifically recommended not to follow the 5:2 eating pattern are those with a history of eating disorders. Really think you should reconsider your approach.

There's a interesting thread in the maintenance forum (i.e. people who have successfully lost weight).
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1122899-maintenance-survey

The recurring themes should be enlightening to you - I'll give you a clue, massive restriction isn't one of the common success factors.
  • Flex382
    Options
    Proteins
    Meats & Fish
    Beef
    Biltong
    Chicken Breast
    Cod
    Herring
    Icelandic Dried Fish
    Liver
    Pork
    Prawns & Shrimps
    Sea Bass
    Sushi and the Bodybuilder
    Tilipia
    Bodybuilders & Tuna
    Turkey
    Venison
    Wild Salmon

Nuts & Seeds
    Almonds
    Chestnuts
    Hazelnuts
    Linseeds
    Nuts as an Emergency Snack
    Pistachio Nuts
    Sunflower Seeds
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

I'm currently somewhere around 70-75 kg but i have alot of extra abdominal fat, which is why i'm trying to lose some of it, Body Fat % around 26% (using two different calculating methods) and 178cm long.

Since i started counting calories (about 2 weeks ago) i've noticed that i have problems with eating ENOUGH food for my goal at 0.5kg per week (1lbs/w) weightloss, could this be solely due to me thinking about what i'm eating?
    Also i'm afraid of putting my body in starvation, does it really have to be 1 200 kcal Net, or might it be enough with eating above this (I manage about 1 600 a day). The reason i'm asking is that my exercises usually put my net intake at about 900 or something.

Also i have a problem getting enough protein, I eat lots of lentils, eggs and mushroom (lakto-vegetarian) and I eat a broad variety of different foods, due to that i would think that it would be enough protein but logging theese 2 weeks i see that i barely reach 1g protein/kg bodyweight which i take it isnt enough?

Thank you in advance!
    =]

1200 net is the minimum for WOMEN! Men should not net below 1800 as a bare minimum!
  • Flex382
    Options

Thank you in advance!
    =]

1200 net is the minimum for WOMEN! Men should not net below 1800 as a bare minimum!

Dont start with miminum numbers. Start by cutting 100- 150cal a day or over a week the faster u lose the more muscle is lost with it.
  • Fight_with_discipline
    Options
    If you are heavily restricting calories on your 5 normal eating days then you are not following the 5:2 diet. The 5 days should be normal eating (maintenance or TDEE would be a good interpretation).

One of the groups of people specifically recommended not to follow the 5:2 eating pattern are those with a history of eating disorders. Really think you should reconsider your approach.

There's a interesting thread in the maintenance forum (i.e. people who have successfully lost weight).
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1122899-maintenance-survey

The recurring themes should be enlightening to you - I'll give you a clue, massive restriction isn't one of the common success factors.

I'll think about this, maybe stop doing 5:2, or the other way around
    Daily

I would've no arguments against reaching this if it werent for the calories that come with it, my options are lentils, about 990kcal (to fill a third of my protein intake), 10 eggs (for another third) about 750kcal and then 750kcal worth of tofu.thats 2500 kcal solely for satisfying my protein intake, is there no other way than start chugging protein drinks?

I'll start eating more qinoua, i love it but i haven't bought it for a while, and tofu!

As for your protein sources Flex382, i'm sorry but since i only eat vegetarian food i cannot eat anything suggested, thank you anyways!

As for my diet in all, this is what surprices me, my BF% and also stomach healtch has always been the reason i've ever considered dieting, i've tried alot of things including heavy training, weightlifting cardio but nothing has ever worked, been down to 67kg whithout losing abdominal fat, but it wasn't a healthy weight so i returned to my current weight.
    As for the diets i've tried i have tried them for at least 6-8 months, nothing short of that, but now i want to try the old simple way i.e counting calories, and i want to do it right!
    I'm not eating less, now than before i started counting, saving maybe two snacks a day at the most, so thats why im asking you guys, is it really jhust because i started counting calories that i land on such a high deficit or could it be something else, i'm trying to eat much and i'm full after each meal, 3 times a day.

1200 for women, 1800 for men? i've used the start guide on the page, goal is 500 kcal deficit, activity lowest (though i count every workout i do, walking to the store etc.) and my goal is about 1600 without workouts? then 1800 is over my calorie allowance for one day if i don't leave the apartment?
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Also i'm afraid of putting my body in starvation

You won't. You can't.
  • Fight_with_discipline
    Options

You won't. You can't.

You mean that there is no such thing as the body starting to save calories if presented with a big calorie deficit?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

You won't. You can't.

You mean that there is no such thing as the body starting to save calories if presented with a big calorie deficit?

It takes a lot more than most people think to really get a significant hit from adaptive thermogenesis.

That being said, having too big of a deficit has other undesirable issues - muscle loss for one.