Just curious.. Jogging 1/2 mile..

Options
2»

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    When I started I couldn't even run for 30 seconds without stopping. Now I can run 10 miles and feel amazing afterwards. Running my first half marathon in less then 3 weeks!
  • ArmyWife0523
    ArmyWife0523 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I started I couldn't even run for 30 seconds without stopping. Now I can run 10 miles and feel amazing afterwards. Running my first half marathon in less then 3 weeks!

Wow that is great
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I could not run 1/2 mile when I first started. But if I remember correctly, I think my first full mile took me about 15 minutes. That's about 7.5 for a half mile.

I just finished my first marathon with an absolutely embarrassing time of 5 hours. That's about 5 mph or a 12 minute mile. That's about 6 minutes for a half mile.

My point is, who gives a *kitten* about what everyone else does. You are doing great by just getting started.

Welcome to the running club. We are soooo very glad to have you!!!
  • Adforperu
    Adforperu Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't worry about other people's times, especially if you're just starting out. I can't remember what I was like before, but I never used to run very far at all without stopping.. just keep it going and you'll get faster and further in no time at all
  • ArmyWife0523
    ArmyWife0523 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to give an update and say I improved my half mile by 15 seconds.. NO it is not the best and it may not be much to some people but hey I am pretty happy with myself!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to give an update and say I improved my half mile by 15 seconds.. NO it is not the best and it may not be much to some people but hey I am pretty happy with myself!

It's your best so far. That's all that matters.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Okay I am just curious to see how fast somebody else has jogged a half mile!! I am not a fan of jogging/running and I have never been able to jog for that long straight so be kind.. Today I wanted to test myself and see how hard I could push myself and to my surprise I jogged a half mile without stopping in 7 mins 22 sec. I know that it isn't the best but for me it is pretty good!
    That's pretty godd for a beginner.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I think my fastest is 3.75. But I normally just putter along at about 6/half mile now. LOL
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You sound more like a runner to me.

I can do a 8 min mile. So I'd guess my 1/2 is around 4 minutes. Been running for 3 years.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    For a first time try....that's really good. I've been at this a couple years and while I won't win any records, I can run a half mile without too much trouble in 4:00. If I REALLY wanted to prove something, I might be able to lower that by about 30 seconds....but then I'd need to spend about 15 minutes getting my breathing & heart rate back under control!!!!

Keep at it. Eventually, you might find that you enjoy it!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    A full mile for me is around 10.5 minutes, so half mile would be a little over 5 minutes.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Okay I am just curious to see how fast somebody else has jogged a half mile!! I am not a fan of jogging/running and I have never been able to jog for that long straight so be kind.. Today I wanted to test myself and see how hard I could push myself and to my surprise I jogged a half mile without stopping in 7 mins 22 sec. I know that it isn't the best but for me it is pretty good!

Totally cool!

You are ahead of me when I started!

I can do a mile, now, in about 6 minutes. My pace for my 4 mile run is now down to 11+ minutes per mile.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome! Running is an addicting and fun journey - I ran cross country and track all through high school, pretty much abandoned all exercise in college, and now have gotten back into the long-distance world. My avg half-marathon pace is 9min/mile (so 4:30/800m) - I've started throwing in more speed work into my training, so now I run intervals about once a week where I'm averaging about 3:50/800m. However, if you told me to go bust out my fastest 1/2 mile time, I could probably do it in close to 3:00min - and then I'd die ;-)
    Back in HS I could do 6x800m and hold 3:00 for each one. Ah, those were the days....
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing a track workout, right around 3:00 per 800m.
    Fastest I've ever ran 1/2 mile is 2:05
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Last weekend, I got caught in the rain. I did .57 miles in 4:22, so that would be about 3:50 for a half mile.

Your time is great for just starting out!