How can we introduce calories consumed for strength exercise

Options
We can count the calories for cardio but not strength. Is it possible to do it? If yes, how? Thank you.

Replies

• thefortuna
    thefortuna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually add the strength exercises first. Then I go to cardiovascular and search for strength training. So on the top you have the amount of time you spent lifting for calories burned, and on the bottom you have the actual exercises you did. Hope that helps!
  • clheide
    clheide Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i'd recommend getting a reliable heart rate monitor. then you can create your own exercises in mfp and plug in the correct amount of calories burned each time.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no way to reliably estimate strength training calories, unless you have your own metabolic cart. Heart rate monitors cannot be used for strength training--the increased heart rate during strength training does not reflect an increased calorie burn, so the calorie number on an HRM is a fantasy.

The main benefits from strength training do not come from the direct caloric burn itself--which is relatively low--but the aftereffects.

Personally I never count strength training calories, but I can burn a lot doing cardio. If you feel you need to add a number to your exercise total, I would just add 150 to 300, depending on your body size, length of workout, and intensity of workout. It doesn't need to be precise (and there is no way you can get a precise number anyhow).