Healthy foods to eat!

Options
What are some healthy foods everyone eats?? Help lol!
Thank you

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Define healthy?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want in your budget.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    fresh fruits and vegetables, nut butters (in small servings), lean meat, avocados, full-fat plain greek yogurt etc. Notice that nothing on the list is processed ;) even "healthy" processed foods contain too many chemicals to really be healthy. I find it's better to stick with as many whole, unprocessed foods as possible. It's not actually that expensive, and it's super easy :)
  • anedley
    Options
    I tend to eat pretty much whatever I want. But not more than my net calorie of 1200. Healthier as in less fat and junk lol .. I want to have a better healthier eating.
  • JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to the following things that I would say are healthier than junk/fast food and that I know I like:

-yogurt
    -tuna (i prefer albacore)
    -fruits (apples, oranges, bananas, pomegranite, cherries, grapes, tangerines, mango, pineapple, etc.)
    -veggies (carrots, celery, asparagus, broccoli, peas, corn, potatoes, sugar snap peas, etc.)
    -wheat bread
    -smart pop snack size microwaveable popcorn (kettle corn flavor)
    -nuts (raw almonds, peanuts, walnuts, etc.)
    -frozen yogurt
    -wheat thins (which I usually eat with tuna)
    -salmon
    -salad (i love baby greens the most like spinach, kale, romaine, etc.) light on the dressing (best if you put it in a shakeable container bc then everything gets coated nice and evenly)

I recommend doing a google search for "healthy grocery list" and use the results as a guideline, editing to fit your needs, tastes and budget.

You can also go to http://www.healthygrocerylist.com/ which gives you recipes (there are even categories for things like low-calorie, low-carb, gluten-free, etc.) and provides a grocery list to match the recipes.

I also eat things that wouldn't normally be considered "healthy" but I try to keep this at a minimum and when I do eat something less-than-healthy I eat smaller portions. What has helped me tremendously is a big dose of protein at breakfast to keep me feeling full for a majority of the day (like 2 hard boiled eggs).

Good luck.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Less fat? Fat can be good. Avacados, nuts, etc are very good nutritionally. The only thing that causes weight gain (outside of possible medical factors) is eating more than you burn. While I do recommend meeting your macronutrients (treat MFP's protein as a bare minimum, ignore the sugar unless you have a condition that requires monitoring it), they can come from any source so as long as you're not exceeding your calorie limit. I don't really care for the 1200 calorie limit mfp sets, but to each his own.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat pretty much whatever I want. But not more than my net calorie of 1200. Healthier as in less fat and junk lol .. I want to have a better healthier eating.

I used to eat mostly low fat....not anymore. Fat IS necessary to absorb vitamins, among other things. With only 1200 it's hard to get all your nutritional needs.

Now I look at protein & fiber counts. Processed white flour is lower in protein & fiber (than whole wheat) because processing takes some of that away....along with vitamins & minerals.

I agree with what Idulla said......stick to less processed stuff & you won't have added sugar, reduced fiber, and "added" fat (but not the healthy kind....as in nuts, nut butters, avocado & olive oil).

Veggies - count corn, potatoes, and peas in the same category as grain......these are really starchy and high calorie for veggies.

Fruit - stick with whole fruit, often juices have none of the natural fiber. Also some juices may have added sugar

Dairy - I try not to eat fat free. 2% is my preference.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Here we go...[grabs popcorn]

I ate some fried chicken for lunch, does that count?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Hey, I used rocky road ice cream to hit my protein macro today. *high five*
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    What are some healthy foods everyone eats?? Help lol!
    Thank you
    Define healthy?

Define everyone?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

less fat?
    but fat is fabulous and delicious??

and junk? define junk?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

*high five*!

Protein and fats...yum!
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

I will see your rocky road and raise you Pumpkin Pie with Ben & Jerry's :bigsmile: