PLEASE HELP! Need nutrition advice

Options
Everyday, my nutrition does match with what MFP suggests I should have. I already know I need to knock it off with the sugar and I am working on it. But everything else I can't figure out how to make it match up. Protein is always too high. Can you take a look at my diary and see if you can help out. I am open to suggestions.

By the way I am not gaining any weight or worried about my weight. I am only 6 pounds away from my goal. I just want to see if I can actually eat better. Also, please disregard today's I have not completed it all yet.

Thanks in advance. Diary is open.

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Sugar can be ignored, unless you have a medical condition that requires monitoring it. Protein on mfp is really low. I aim for 1g per pound of lbm, if not a little higher. I typically eat at least 100g a day.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Ignore sugar, more protein is good. Those are just rough guidelines and unless you have some medical issue or special need then you really don't need to watch macros that closely. Your weight loss will be mostly calories in/calories out so stay in budget and you'll be fine.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    Looks like not enough protein or calories to me. 1200 is awefully low. I agree with the 1g/lb of body weight for protein or even higher whilst dieting to prevent muscle loss.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I dont really include sugar from fruit and I dont think looking at a few days from your diary that your that over on many days. As for protein....I am always over, and actually aim to be!
  • CTONDO
    CTONDO Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Looks like not enough protein or calories to me. 1200 is awefully low. I agree with the 1g/lb of body weight for protein or even higher whilst dieting to prevent muscle loss.

I am working on getting my calorie intake higher as well. You will see on some days I am actually higher. Hard to get above when you get used to the 1200 but I am slowly doing this as I have realized I will never reach my last 6 pounds unless I eat more.
  • CTONDO
    Options
    Also, glad to hear that the sugar thing is no big deal. I have no health issues, so I am good there. :happy:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Not that you ask so ignore if you want but are you weighing your foods? Just asking because 1 oz of meat is like a bite size piece.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Agree with others on more protein. One protein shake a day would kick it up a notch without a lot of trouble.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    the cal counts are a bit on the low side.
    but nutritionally its looking really good. you eat a lot of whole balanced foods.
    With you eating so well I don't understand why you eat that sugar free creamer and low sugar oatmeal in the AM.
    a suggestion I have would be to get yourself some real steel cut oatmeal and ditch the packaged stuff. and swap out the crappy creamer. use real milk, almond milk, or something of that sort. creamer is just garbage. lots of added unneeded junk in there.

-Bachelors of science in Nutrition.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    From your ticker it says you want to lose 6lbs and from your picture you look to be at a healthy weight. So IMHO 1200 cal a day is too low. Unless you are 5' most women need more calories - especially if you are exercising.

Your diary looks good to me.
    Protein should be high - aim for about 100g per day (or .75-1g per lean body mass)
    Sugar - unless you have a medical condition you can somewhat ignore sugar. Espcially the sugar found in fruits and yogurts. Its the added sugar in candy or soda that you should be weary about.
    Carbs is needed for engery. 150-250 is a good range (depending on exercise habits)
    Sodium is one to watch as it makes you retain water. Aim for 2500 or less.

I don't think you have much to worry about.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is probably too low for you. Do you lift weights? If so you need to eat more protein so your muscles can repair them selves better. Carbs are good for energy if you run or do a lot of cardio, but the protein is important if you lift. If you focus on the protein macro the rest will fall into line. The only one I ever struggle with is fat. Because I don't eat a lot of oils or fats. Sugar is hit or miss.. If it doesn't bother you then good. I can't handle it.. if you can, then as long as you are getting enough of the good foods, it's not a huge problem.

Google scooby's calculator.. fill it in and it will tell you what you should be eating for weight loss and maintenance. it's pretty accurate.

To eat better, just buy whole foods and cook at home. Avoid foods that are pre-made, processed or full of sugar and preservatives. (like instant oatmeal for example) Starting is the hardest part. I make everything at home and take it to work and I eat a low sugar, low salt, high protein, no processed, mostly clean diet. Feel free to stalk my diary for ideas it should be open.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Check out the website "If It Fits Your Macros" for a different perspective. You can play around with some calculations there, and then use them to customize your MFP goals. I customized my daily MFP goals to reflect 35% carbs, 45% protein, 20% fat. It is working for me.
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm probably the exception here, and I tend to be a food nazi, anyhow, so just ignore me, if what I say, doesn't fit, for you.

My first response to your diary was that there was a LOT of processed foods in it. Processed foods are most peoples hidden enemies. There's lots of stuff that companies can use, to make their foods inexpensive and tasty, and so that they are still profitable, for the companies bottom line.

All of these food additives do not necessarily need to be listed on the label, or can be listed in a way that makes them not seem so ghastly. (Take the label with this on it: "Other natural flavors".) This can literally be ANYTHING. It can be wood pulp fiber, (for taking up space and making things 'fluffy'), MSG, (for the salty flavor) and many, many 'natural' versions of the same types of preservatives (di-glycerides, mono di-glycerides, carageenen, etc, etc).

Not to mention the packaging itself, having loads of 'seepage' issues. Take plastic, for instance. It's pretty common knowledge now, that microwaving stuff in plastic dishes, makes some of the molecules in the plastic, mix with the food, which then makes the body 'uptake' the wrong sorts of estrogens (both from the plastic container and in the saran wrap which is usually used to cover the stuff.). Microwaving actually 'cleaves' the molecules in the food and creates a condition where they then enter the body, as free-radicals. The human body, just from it's own biochemical processes, makes enough of it's own free-radicals, and does not need more of them.

So, yes, I am a food nazi, but only from a life of experience. One example of this is that I used to make my own soymilk and tofu, but since my surgery, have not done so. I can tell the difference between what I used to make, and the processed kind, by how it makes me feel, once I've ingested it. Very differently. And mostly, not in a good way.

So, if I were you and I had only 6 pounds to lose, I'd start looking at the hidden culprits in my food and vitamins.

Yes, vitamins, too, if you take them. As it turns out, well over 80% of ALL vitamins on the market, contain something called: magnesium stearate, (from rock), or vegetable stearate (from vegetable sources, usually a by-product of some other food manufacturing). This is used to coat the capsule, thereby making it move through the machinery, faster and more easily.

It has nothing whatsoever, to do with nutrition for the human body, and indeed, is one of the reasons why vitamins are a waste of money. Stearate actually COATS the stomach lining and prevents your immune system cells in the intestines, from working properly. It's basically chalk, and it actually works to prevent your intestinal flora, from proper movement, by weighing them down. Try coating your mouth with chalk, sometime, and you'll see what I mean............:(

Soo.......what it comes down to, is that there is a LOT of this kind of chicanery going on, in the processed food industry. The only defense is to read labels like a bloodhound and research, research, research, and then source, source, source, your food.

Well, that's probably enough from me, and you get the idea by now, I'm sure.

Keep the faith and carry on! :)
  • CTONDO
    Options
    the cal counts are a bit on the low side.
    but nutritionally its looking really good. you eat a lot of whole balanced foods.
    With you eating so well I don't understand why you eat that sugar free creamer and low sugar oatmeal in the AM.
    a suggestion I have would be to get yourself some real steel cut oatmeal and ditch the packaged stuff. and swap out the crappy creamer. use real milk, almond milk, or something of that sort. creamer is just garbage. lots of added unneeded junk in there.

-Bachelors of science in Nutrition.

Wow, thanks. I try to eat well. I do however miss the non sugar free creamer. I always buy almond milk as I found recently I was always having problems drinking cows milk with stomach cramps. Now that I have the almond milk I am much happier. I will consider your suggestions. Thanks.
  • CTONDO
    Options
    1200 calories is probably too low for you. Do you lift weights? If so you need to eat more protein so your muscles can repair them selves better. Carbs are good for energy if you run or do a lot of cardio, but the protein is important if you lift. If you focus on the protein macro the rest will fall into line. The only one I ever struggle with is fat. Because I don't eat a lot of oils or fats. Sugar is hit or miss.. If it doesn't bother you then good. I can't handle it.. if you can, then as long as you are getting enough of the good foods, it's not a huge problem.

Google scooby's calculator.. fill it in and it will tell you what you should be eating for weight loss and maintenance. it's pretty accurate.

To eat better, just buy whole foods and cook at home. Avoid foods that are pre-made, processed or full of sugar and preservatives. (like instant oatmeal for example) Starting is the hardest part. I make everything at home and take it to work and I eat a low sugar, low salt, high protein, no processed, mostly clean diet. Feel free to stalk my diary for ideas it should be open.

I actually have only been doing about 10 minutes a day on the lifting weights. Today will be my first real day of doing strength training.

I will have to eat up the processed food I have so I don't waste a ton of food. But thanks I suppose you are right. I know its crap and I do cook for my boyfriend but for myself, I just try to make it easier. I know it makes no sense. I treat his body better than my own.

I will check out your diary too.
  • CTONDO
    Options
    I have changed my settings to a higher protein diet. Hoping this well help as well.
  • CTONDO
    Options
    From your ticker it says you want to lose 6lbs and from your picture you look to be at a healthy weight. So IMHO 1200 cal a day is too low. Unless you are 5' most women need more calories - especially if you are exercising.

Your diary looks good to me.
    Protein should be high - aim for about 100g per day (or .75-1g per lean body mass)
    Sugar - unless you have a medical condition you can somewhat ignore sugar. Espcially the sugar found in fruits and yogurts. Its the added sugar in candy or soda that you should be weary about.
    Carbs is needed for engery. 150-250 is a good range (depending on exercise habits)
    Sodium is one to watch as it makes you retain water. Aim for 2500 or less.

I don't think you have much to worry about.

Thanks for the compliment about my weight. I am 126 and want to be 120. I don't know if it will happen or not and I am more concerned with trying to get the last bit of jiggles to be more toned. I am by the way 5'2. So 120 would be fine on me.
  • CTONDO
    Options
    Not that you ask so ignore if you want but are you weighing your foods? Just asking because 1 oz of meat is like a bite size piece.

I just started weighing my foods this week. I went out and finally bought a scale.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I just started weighing my foods this week. I went out and finally bought a scale.

It's amazing what the difference is. I was actually under estimating my portions and therefore eating even less then I thought I was.. which in my case was not a good thing. To really change you have to change your view on food and nutrition and health and make it a priority. That doesn't mean skip the office party, it just means plan for it.