Giving up the booze

Options
Hi there. First off, I want to say that I am by no means a person who thinks that you have to give up alcohol completely to lose weight. I've been steadily losing for months whilst still allowing myself beer, wine, and cocktails. However, that is ending now.

My partner has (thankfully, thankfully) come to the realization that alcohol has no place in his life. He's taken breaks from drinking before, and I have always done my best to not drink around him, but clearly having alcohol in the house isn't a great way to encourage him to stay on the wagon. He has finally decided that he is done for good, and has requested that there be no alcohol in the house anymore. I 100% support his decision, and I know that this is absolutely what is best and necessary for him and for me, and may be saving our relationship and his life. Therefore, I'm done too.

Right before the holidays. Right before all the delicious mulled wine and eggnog and rum soaked desserts... This is going to be really hard for me. Not because I'm "addicted" in the same way he is, but because this means giving up a lot of things that have always meant happiness and family and comfort to me. I know I don't need the booze to have these things, but I *like* booze with these things. I associate all these things together, and it's going to take me some time to stop doing that. Until that happens, I feel like I need a little extra motivation.

So. What I'm hoping to hear from you guys, is your amazing success stories. Tell me about how you quit your two glasses of wine a night and it made all the difference in the world for your weight loss. Tell me about how you don't even miss the craft beers, because compared to the energy you feel on your runs, it's no contest. Please don't tell me about how you still drink most nights and still lost 85 pounds. That's not what I want to hear today. Thanks!

Replies

• RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    well done you on being awesome and supportive!

Main thing: Be Prepared.

Holiday season can mean lots of virgin cocktails!

I replace wine/bubbles with a lemon soda that looks like champagne when it is in the glass so no one questions it.

Rum or brandy essence/flavouring can be used in place of alcohol. :)

Good luck!
  • bvincentelp
    bvincentelp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have not had any alcohol in six months and don't miss it at all. I never felt I needed it or was addicted, I just liked to drink, mostly single malt scotch. I generally drank a bottle a week or more. When I started working out and getting rid of the fat, I decided to quit drinking as it was doing nothing good for my fat-loss or wallet (single malt gets pricey). I love feeling great every morning I wake up, I love never feeling bloated or hungover (though I rarely ever got a hangover - lucky genetics). Alcohol no longer has a place in my life and I feel that I am better for it, I also believe my wife and kids are better off without me drinking.
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I haven't had a drink in 3 years i'm finally getting my life and my body back in order.
  • ujjz
    ujjz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you're on Reddit, you should check out the StopDrinking subreddit. Lots of friendly people there; they've helped me a lot.
  • breakhearts
    breakhearts Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Can't...stop...drinking....!!!!
    *Chugs a fourloko.*
    Haha, seriously, congrats to all those who can!
  • knittinlady
    knittinlady Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol when I started my weightloss journey in January. After a few months I started giving in again when people would offer me a drink, and my weightloss stalled. I've finally decided to give it up again; it's just not worth the calories. I would say that I was drinking to relax my sore back(I've had back problems for years), but the truth is I had to get seriously sloshed for it to make any difference to my pain. I'm talking an entire bottle of wine (which I used to drink every night). And I refuse to drink that much anymore. I might have one glass at Thanksgiving, or maybe not. I'm trying to stay within my calorie goals every day this month. So maybe I'll bring along some sparkling cider to Thanksgiving dinner instead.

I don't really miss it all that much. But I kinda wish I'd never started drinking; then I wouldn't miss it at all.

I'm hoping this will help get my scale moving in the right direction again.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I stopped May 22 2008 my BP was sky high and my weight was climbing steadily. I didn't know if I could do it. The thought of never drinking again even after I lost weight was depressing. The thought of dying if I didn't do it was terrifying.
    Fast forward to today I run 3 or 4 days a week do yoga and a mens fitness class 3 times a week and the thought of drinking never enters my head.
    I had one night on vacation where I had two large glassses of wine with dinner and felt awful that night and crappy when I hit the beach to run the next morning to run never again or since.
    I consumed over 1000 calories a day in alcohol that is better spent on good healthy food. My body responded well my BP non medically is normal resting pulse about 50 still slowly losing weight.
    Consider how important your support is to your mate and how your decision to stop helps his decision to stop. You will both be happier and healthier your weight loss will be easier his life will be better, sounds like a win win to me
  • ktstacy
    ktstacy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have not been able to quit drinking, but I did quit smoking. The only reason I've made it 9 1/2 months was because of my husband's support, so you doing this for your partner is a wonderful thing. What helped me was finding something else to associate with the feelings instead of what I was use to.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I honestly think think it is great that your being so supportive!
    I was a weekend drinker for a few years. I loved it, and it made me happy.

Then I realized how out of shape, and over weight I was. While it wasn't just because I drank that I got that way, alcohol played a big role in my weight gain.
    So, when I made my lifestyle change I cut it out. The cravings were the worst part of quitting. Especially if we went out, it was hard to not have a drink. I stuck to it though, and it got easier and easier. Remember one day at a time.

I have lost 59 pounds so far without alcohol. The cravings are gone, and the want for it is nothing like it was.

Good luck to you! You can do this!!
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've quit drinking twice now. First time I was 25. The 2nd time just 5 years ago. I really think that it has helped keep off about 40 pounds. My relationship is far, far better (my hubby quit too). He wished that he had never started. Our joke now is about the money we've saved by not drinking. Decisions to buy something (in place of alcohol) are based on how many days of booze that item would have cost. We don't argue nearly as much as we used to and it's nice to be able to wake up without feeling like a MACK truck ran you over. Don't think of what you're losing, think about what you are gaining!
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You rock! To not have booze in the house is respectful of your husband's commitment to be healthy.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys, so much! You have no idea how encouraging a few words of support from strangers can be.
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My partner (who is a recovering alcohol, himself), and I, have come to the agreement (mostly nonverbal) that I keep the alcohol in the locked pantry and when I'd like to have a beer, to go out with friends. I really missed going out once or twice a month, for my cannons of craft beer, when I first started living with him, but now that I've not done it, regularly, for a decade, I don't miss it as much as I thought I might.
    I don't know if drinking helps or harms, dieting, as the last time I mixed the two, I was 15-20 years younger, which makes a huge difference in speed of weight loss, anyhow.
    I did notice from that period of weight loss, that it was harder then it had been, a decade earlier, though. It was much, much, slower then it had been, the first time I really tried to shake it, by several months, and I never got down to 135 pounds again, really. (My mid-age range was 155-160).
    Honestly, I'm not sure 135 was really healthy, anyhow, because it made me psychotic, in many ways. (Or maybe being thin was just too hard, as I never ate much at that point.............a protein shake and salad, a few times a week, was all I really had time for, working 4 jobs, and all.)
    So...........yes, I DID notice a difference in weight loss time and total, but not sure how much of it was due to my monthly 2-4 beers, or age............:(
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    At the beginning of my weight loss, I gave up drinking and wow did the lbs come off and I felt soooo much better. I maintained for over 9 months and went back to drinking. I got up to a 1.5L bottle of wine a night and gained 10 lbs back fast!! Now my new clothes are tight and I am depressed. I got up this morning and actually poured three bottles of wine I had bought down the drain. Tossed the bottles and that is it. I will need the support also as I know this is the right thing to do but it will be hard.
  • musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I think that's awesome! I have decided to give up drinking myself for a while. I want to see how my body benefits from it
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My husband is a recovering alcoholic. Four years sober, hooray!

He never asked me to stop drinking, but I was never much of a drinker in the first place so it was no big deal for me to not have it in the house. For the first year or so, I only drank when I was away from him and then probably 5 drinks the whole year. Now that some time has passed and he's more comfortable, I will have the occasional drink when we're out together.

It's really no big deal. The people who are closest to you will know why you aren't drinking and the people who aren't can be silenced with an, "I'm driving," comment. You'll find that you won't enjoy anything less just because you aren't drinking but it will be a little different at first.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just stopped cold turkey. I didn't drink a lot to begin with. Usually when I went for a dinner party I would have a glass or other family get togethers I would have zinfandel like there is no tomorrow. But when I thought about all the liquid calories it turned me off. I don't crave it or anything, but it is hard to keep saying no to people when they keep offering (this is huge in my culture). Though I want to drop the "but i'm driving home line" one day.

Just keep in mind that your body is a temple and you don't want to destroy it.