Exercise for Injured Runner

Options
Hi, my name's Sam. Im 16 years old, 5'4, 107 lb, and have a BFP of about 18%. Im extremely active; I run cross country and track as well as do a lot of pilates and yoga. Recently I got a stress reaction though from XC so I cant run for 4-6 weeks. I love intense exercise and now that I cant run, I dont know what to do. I eat clean and would like to get to a BFP of maybe 16%. So my question is, what can I do to lower my BFP as well as give me the intense physical activity that I am so used to? Thanks!

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Where is your injury?
  • gabiandpete
    gabiandpete Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Did you mean to type "stress fracture"? Swimming is a great alternative but you should clear any physical activity with your physician.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Also talk to your physician regarding Calcium supplements. Often times, stress fractures in runners are from depleted calcium in bones because a runners typical "clean eating" menu doesn't provide enough calcium so your bones lose their strength. Just from one to another, once I started this at the suggestion of my doc, I haven't had a stress fracture return.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    As a mom of kids ages 7-22, I'm going to sound really "mom-like" right now. Darling, you dont' need to torch any more body fat! 18% is low enough. Strive to maintain that, not to lower it. You NEED body fat for overall health. Just not excessive amounts of it. 18% is FAR from excessive.

If you want to maintain strong aerobic ability, swimming is the way to go if you have a stress fracture. Talk to your coach and see what he/she recommends.
  • samalah
    Options
    My right lateral tibia. No, it's not a fracture. A reaction means it almost fractured. I stayed off of it for 5 weeks previously, but it started to hurt so I got it x-rayed and my doc said it still showed it wasnt healed yet. Im taking calcium, guys. I eat a lot of greek yogurt and cottage cheese too. I thought about swimming but I dont like swimming a whole lot haha. Thanks everyone