restaurants without clear low calorie options?

Options
I have been to a few restaurants lately that have no "lighter side options" TGIF is one of these. There menu has "under 750 calorie" options with no further detail. No problem I pulled out my phone and for a few minutes tried to find something around 400 calories for lunch. Even their salads were high. The few things I could find online that were good choices were not even offered at the restaurant I was at like the spinach Florentine flatbread. It was extremely frustrating and our waiter acted like I was bothering him when I asked him if he could recommend anything.(they has some kind of game on the tv and the place was understaffed) This is not the first time I have had this problem but usually the waiter has suggestions). I did not complain, I realize that we are not exactly in the majority when it comes to counting calories. I was not rude or angry. Of course by this time, I am feeling like I am annoying the people I am with and they are saying things like "just forget it and order whatever you want." extremely frustrating. The old fallback of a salad topped with some grilled chicken would not even work since the restaurant was only offering a few salad choices and that was not one of them. Had I been with my hubby I could have taken all the time in the world to look for something but felt like I was under pressure from both the waiter (he was really busy) and the people i was with who were starving. Could anyone give me some ideas for next time this happens? What do you fall back on or look for on menus that fail to have an easy way of ordering low calorie meals? Many of us are pretty new at this and could use some advice and quick back up plans :)

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken or fish with veggies.
    Salad with dressing on the side (might have to remove some toppings too)
    6oz steak with veggies
  • love2read1220
    love2read1220 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh No! I'm going to TGIF tonight and already looked online and picked out the flatbread to eat! I couldn't BELIEVE how high most of their food is! The black bean burger is over 1000 calories. I'm curious what you ended up doing? I'm going with a group of girls tonight and I KNOW they will not be thrilled when I don't share the apps and desserts.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I ordered the firedragon chicken. Had 660 calories! But I ate half the rice and took off the sauce that was on it ugggg. It was not a pleasant experience at all! So i figured it was about 550 calories.The waiter seemed "bothered" when I asked for suggestions. What the heck? he did not have a problem with the table next to me when they asked about all kinds of appetizers. Will be a while before I go back there....hopefully the restaurant you go to will have the flatbread! :)
  • ghiagirl893
    ghiagirl893 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I look first online and then pick 2-3 things, in case they run out of an ingredient. If it doesn't fit what I need, its time to go somewhere else
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Restaurant portions are typically huge anyway, so choose what you want, and cut or divide it in half as soon as the waiter sets the dish in front of you. Eat half, log it, and save the other half for the next day or give it away. Or see if anyone wants to split it with you.

My husband and I have gotten into the habit of splitting meals more and more often - it's almost always more than enough, and it saves us money, too.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Can't see me going to a restaurant and halving a meal here, maybe that's why they have bigger servings in the US ;)
  • lydiaannepage
    lydiaannepage Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Can't see me going to a restaurant and halving a meal here, maybe that's why they have bigger servings in the US ;)

Yeah having spent half my life here and half my life in England, I will say that the portions over here in the U.S. are usually about 3 times the size that they are over there!
  • jillianbeeee
    Options
    The calories listed are for one serving. Your plate probably has 2 to 3 servings. It's deceptive, so watch out. You're probably eating more than you think.

great point! Had not thought of that!
  • msdutter
    msdutter Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We go to Chili's, and Red Robin more often then not. Their menu is fairly easy to pick from. If I go somewhere else, I try to look online and pre pick what I am going to eat. Most of the time I'll get something that's a bit higher in calories, and cut it in half. Or, substitute a side with broccoli.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have a TGI Friday's near the house and I totally understand. However, the petite sirloin with the broccoli and tomato mozzarella salad only sets you back about 500 calories. If you don't have that much to spare at the end of the day, then do a double dose of broccoli and only eat about half of the steak.

There are a lot of restaurants that are finally getting with the program, but it's slow going. It's much easier to find nutrional information now also. There is a mobile app called Restaurant Nutrition that is handy also. Covers lots of places.
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I always get the spinach floretine flatbread-had it yest with a side of steamed broccoli. Love it! :) But, the sodium is up there on it.
    Oh No! I'm going to TGIF tonight and already looked online and picked out the flatbread to eat! I couldn't BELIEVE how high most of their food is! The black bean burger is over 1000 calories. I'm curious what you ended up doing? I'm going with a group of girls tonight and I KNOW they will not be thrilled when I don't share the apps and desserts.
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I do. I love the steak from Chili's (lighter option) that comes with the steamed broccoli on the side.
    We go to Chili's, and Red Robin more often then not. Their menu is fairly easy to pick from. If I go somewhere else, I try to look online and pre pick what I am going to eat. Most of the time I'll get something that's a bit higher in calories, and cut it in half. Or, substitute a side with broccoli.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I have a TGI Friday's near the house and I totally understand. However, the petite sirloin with the broccoli and tomato mozzarella salad only sets you back about 500 calories. If you don't have that much to spare at the end of the day, then do a double dose of broccoli and only eat about half of the steak.

There are a lot of restaurants that are finally getting with the program, but it's slow going. It's much easier to find nutrional information now also. There is a mobile app called Restaurant Nutrition that is handy also. Covers lots of places.

When I go to a restaurant I save up my calories, so I don't have to worry too much. The alcohol kills me anyways. In the space of 6 days I'll have a birthday meal, funeral, pub meet up with old friends and a meal out with the parents to deal with! Starting Thursday.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    I stopped going to chains eons ago for this and the other Frankenfood they try to pass off.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Beer and wings...
  • jillianbeeee
    Options

gonna download that app! thank you! Since its my moms favorite restaurant will have to return. Next time the petite sirloin!
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread or places with salad bars are really the only places I go to (or I just order/modify the f out of a salad on the menu to be healthier...). I don't trust restaurants nutrition advice. They really don't take into account what butter and stuff they spread all over the griddles when cooking different food items.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I avoid restaurants whenever possible. If i have to go, i eat first, and just grab a salad or fruit plate at the restaurant. Or sometimes, just eat a higher calorie meal and call it a special occasion.