Morning runs in the COLD

Options
Who else feels like winter is the worst time to exercise and lose weight? I can hit the gym 3 times a week, but just getting up in the cold mornings to go for a daily run is just difficult and I find myself just skipping it and regretting it the whole day. It's not like the summer where I would just hop out of my bed, eat a banana, throw on some shorts and a tee, and go for a 4 mile run. I can't stand the cold and wearing so many layers. Not to mention inhaling all the cold air that burns my throat.
Any winter runners have some advice to make morning runs less miserable? How do you guys cope with the cold? And manage to get out of the warm bed haha?

Replies

• drakedk02
    drakedk02 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear any information on this too. I really miss my outdoor workouts during the winter, but if I could find a way to still do them I would definitely try.
  • kjdunn68
    kjdunn68 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I put on multiple layers of clothing and force myself to go. I do not think it gets as cold where I am though.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have a thermal base layer which is quite light, meaning I don't have to layer up quite so much. And a microfleece, running jacket, even a Buff if it's really cold...none of them are so heavy that running is uncomfortable, though, so maybe invest in some lighter gear? Sometimes I'll also sleep in my running clothes if I'm getting up really early - means I have no excuse. If not, all the stuff will be set out the night before to make it less of a chore (although I usually think 'why am I doing this to myself?' more than once if I'm trying to shove myself into a sports bra at 6am). I also don't let myself shower that day unless I've been for a run first, so I've always got motivation to go even on the grimmest of days :laugh:
  • rachelkharr
    Options
    Wow that's actually a good idea (sleeping in workout attire). I wake up at 6am also so I'm definitely going to try that one!! I think I'm also going to invest in a micro fleece and a base layer. That should really help that way I'm not wearing excess clothing that weighs me down. Thanks for the help! :)
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I layer up but try to eat some warm oatmeal before going out. Not a huge bowl just a small portion. Just to warm the insides.
    I wear Point 6 socks, thermal running leggings and wind pants if needed. Short sleeve running T shirt, long sleeve shirt with a wind jacket over top. Neck sleeve to pull up over my chin, touque or head band. Light weight gloves with mitts over top and when it is really cold hot paws in each mitt.
    I run up to -30C.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you define "cold". Having wintered in Montreal, where there are "Watch out for falling icicle" signs on building walls, I don't consider anything we get on the Left Coast to be "cold" (as an example).

Where I am, I do three layers, one of them fleece, then a windproof running/cycling jacket over top that if it's extra nippy. Compresion/thermal tights under sweat pants. Thick socks. I have no problem getting through a 10km morning run like that.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT!
    MINUS 25 is my FAV!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I just do it. My willpower is a lot better these days.
  • Mollysous
    Options
    Moving to Florida. :) That is how I'm dealing, because yeah, I have asthma and the cold, cold air on my lungs makes me start coughing as soon as I get outside. The good news is, you do warm up quickly once you get moving. I still don't wear layers though unless it is bitterly cold because then I get too hot.

I have warn a scarf over my nose and mouth and that helps hold in the warm air and isn't quite a shock to my lungs. Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I must be a masochist........ I run outside all year 'round (and it gets cold here).

The secret is is layering. For really cold weather start off wit a base layer of merino wool.It's light, comfortable, wicking and toasty warm.

<
    In my profile pic it was about -20C IIRC and I was wearing my merino wool base layer, a long sleeve jersey, a mid-weight half zip top and my running shell. For me the hardest thing to dial in was gloves (finding the right balance of weight and warmth). You should be a bit cool when you start the run, otherwise you're overdressed and may overheat.

Everybody has different tolerance to cold, it may take a little trial and error but winter running is great!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Move to florida and get a treadmill ( for when it gets too hot) !
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Why quit? Put on the appropriate clothing and go run. I love my out door winter runs.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Bumping. The main reason cold weather runs suck for me is because of my asthma :grumble:
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I prefer the cold. Running in the hot, humid summer weather is the worst kind of hell.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I love winter working out- no one wants to be outside having parties!!! all the "going out" happens in philly- which I hate going to- so I don't- I'm in the gym friday nights :D Winter is awesome for working out- time to bulk- wear comfie clothes and get to work!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I must be a masochist........ I run outside all year 'round (and it gets cold here).

The secret is is layering. For really cold weather start off wit a base layer of merino wool.It's light, comfortable, wicking and toasty warm.

<
    In my profile pic it was about -20C IIRC and I was wearing my merino wool base layer, a long sleeve jersey, a mid-weight half zip top and my running shell. For me the hardest thing to dial in was gloves (finding the right balance of weight and warmth). You should be a bit cool when you start the run, otherwise you're overdressed and may overheat.

Everybody has different tolerance to cold, it may take a little trial and error but winter running is great!

Also in Quebec, and I also run under similar conditions. Appropriate clothing makes a world of difference!

My winter running jacket has fold over cuffs, and it actually does a good enough job of keeping my fingers warm, that I don't bother with mittens. Which is saying a lot, because my fingers are almost always cold, even in the summer.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I also prefer running when it's cold, unless it's really windy. Layers work great, I'm usually just a little chilly at first but I get comfortable after a few minutes. I just know I have to get up and go or I won't, morning is the only time that really works for me. Remind me of all this in January. :wink:
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Bumping. The main reason cold weather runs suck for me is because of my asthma :grumble:

As an asthmatic myself, I have good news... it gets better as you and your lungs get stronger =) on really cold, like -20C, I keep it nice and easy so I am not breathing too heavy.

edit cuz spelling :ohwell:
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer outdoor exercise in the cold. I just don't tolerate heat that well and I like to take my dogs and they don't either. I love running when it's snowy and all winterwonderlandy. I may feel different as I lose my own built-in thermal layer though!
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I prefer running in the cold.. if you get the right balance of layers, you can warm up enough during your run to be comfy, but never break a sweat! The worst part is breathing the cold air, in which I think this year I will try wrapping a scarf so that I'm breathing through it instead of the sharp cool air.