"Regular Women" in Lingerie....Opinions?

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I stopped when they started talking about + size women being "regular".

IMO, anything that attempts to justify being overweight is ignorant and irresponsible. Yes, embrace your body, love who you are... but that's not the same as being satisfied with anything less than what you could be. Overweight is not, IMO, healthy or attractive. Neither is settling for "average".
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    These aren't regular women...they found the biggest ones and are trying to make it seem like that's the new normal.
    This.
    And it's very insulting to the REAL "real" women...

Are you trying to imply that they were photoshopped to look bigger, or have more stretch marks or something? Since apparently, larger women aren't "REAL real" women
    Are you trying to imply that all "real" women look like that? This could go both ways all day. I'm ready whenever you are.

No - I'm challenging your assertion that large women are not real. I never made an assertion that average sized women aren;t real. So I have nothing to defend.

You have nothing to defend because your statement has no basis. Real women come in all shapes and sizes. Not just the biggest.
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    These aren't regular women...they found the biggest ones and are trying to make it seem like that's the new normal.
    This.

Are you trying to imply that they were photoshopped to look bigger, or have more stretch marks or something? Since apparently, larger women aren't "REAL real" women
    Are you trying to imply that all "real" women look like that? This could go both ways all day. I'm ready whenever you are.

No - I'm challenging your assertion that large women are not real. I never made an assertion that average sized women aren;t real. So I have nothing to defend.

Large women are real, but they're not using real in that context. They're insinuating that "real" women are all largely obese and we should all just accept that and help them feel beautiful.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    This.

You have nothing to defend because your statement has no basis. Real women come in all shapes and sizes. Not just the biggest.

I know. From your post it wasn't clear you do.
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    This.

All women are real women. Unless you're one of those creepy dolls that men buy.. omg what are they called?? I think they were "real dolls" or something like that.
  • foodiscomplicated
    foodiscomplicated Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Glorifying obesity and alienating women with smaller body types. Really inspirational. Thanks Huff Post!

You mean like white men's righteous indignation with the influx of minorities?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Glorifying obesity and alienating women with smaller body types. Really inspirational. Thanks Huff Post!

I'm still "over weight" and I feel the same way. I am sorry but that is not normal those photos are obese.

Obese women absolutely have the right to feel beautiful, but calling their size normal and glamorizing it is a really questionable practice.
    Exactly this. The implication that their size is 'regular' bugs me a lot.

All of this ^^^^
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Meh, I don't like it. It seems to me they are saying if you are in shape, or thin then you aren't "regular". Maybe if they showed women of all body types.

I saw that as well, from what I saw I would not consider those women "regular", just as I wouldn't class a female athlete with 12% body fat "regular" Women come in all shapes and sizes, if this site showed that, instead of just "larger" women then using regular would be okay.
  • ThePlight
    Options
    This.

I know. From your post it wasn't clear you do.
    Perhaps re-read it.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Oh. I thought this would be 'average' sized women (You know, size 6-8-10-12? The often over looked 'inbetween' sizes? Because you're either teeny tiny or large, but that middle ground can't get so much as an acknowledgement let alone a lingerie campaign) but it's actually women on the larger size. I see.

Average sized chicks, forgotten again. /kicks rocks
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I knew before I clicked the link that "regular" was going to mean "fat."

Are those the only two options? Underweight and obese?
  • ThePlight
    Options
    Oh. I thought this would be 'average' sized women (You know, size 6-8-10-12? The often over looked 'inbetween' sizes? Because you're either teeny tiny or large, but that middle ground can't get so much as an acknowledgement let alone a lingerie campaign) but it's actually women on the larger size. I see.

Exactly. That's my point :\
  • 2Heavy2Long
    2Heavy2Long Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpIHaOuWkFwmi7b-sID9_1W6jvhL1N3gKEqhooaGQYrheJNpQ9boziMgkq
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I don't like it. Maybe if the pictures weren't somewhat "trashy" selfies I'd feel better about it. Like, if they were done in a studio with good lighting and real photography (as opposed to cell phone shots).

Women can be beautiful at any size. I've varied from a 8 to a 12 over the years and felt great at all those sizes. I work out, keep myself toned and healthy.... Even at 38+ weeks pregnant I still feel good about myself and my body. And kudos to all women who do.

But if it's a "real women" campaign it should include women of all shapes and sizes, not just plus size.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options

We're freaks! What's wrong with us for exercising and eating reasonable amounts of food? How did we let it get this bad?!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    So I guess that makes me an 'irregular' woman? Should I be marked as 50% off, or what?
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Eh, I guess I'm not a regular woman...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

@ the gym I see ur point about the title, but what I dont get is why people sound soooo bent out of shape about it.. My other point is yes overweight is unhealthy. That is not an argument. I was also getting at that whoever u are men and women at whatever body type love urself and be DAMNED with the haters. Soo to break it down for some. That means if u r skinny and get **** for it..**** everyone who has a problem with it. If u r bigger (plus size) and others have something negative to say then screw them too.

Seems like your getting a little bent out of shape over people getting bent out of shape.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

We're freaks! What's wrong with us for exercising and eating reasonable amounts of food? How did we let it get this bad?!

That's why my goal is a size 2 or 4! Then I can be real and important and stuff! No longer will I be a woman rendered invisible because I'm actually average!