Why can't I stop eating crap?!

Options
It's the same every single day, I'll eat a good breakfast, good lunch and smaller dinner and by 8-9pm I go downstairs and want to binge on everything I literally can not help myself. MEAT is the worst! You know the sliced meat you put in sammies, well if I buy a pack, it doesn't last longer than 3 days. Multipack of ANYTHING remotely sweet or salty and they're gone, even low calorie/low fat. I hide stuff and I do forget about it but then my brain kicks in and just wants to eat all the food. I always go over on my fat intake. It literally sickens me that I have no self control.

Sorry I needed a good rant.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    get rid of the crap so its not near you to eat,
    yep.
    simple.
    do it.
    and if you want to come over and drink some wine with me
    that would be good
  • Virheilm
    Options
    Are you the one buying groceries for your house? If so, just don't buy them. I find that it's difficult to consume something that I've already purchased - rationalizing it in my mind that it'll go to waste if I don't - but when I'm in the store, I can just look over it and move on to something healthier.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It's the same every single day, I'll eat a good breakfast, good lunch and smaller dinner and by 8-9pm I go downstairs and want to binge on everything I literally can not help myself. MEAT is the worst! You know the sliced meat you put in sammies, well if I buy a pack, it doesn't last longer than 3 days. Multipack of ANYTHING remotely sweet or salty and they're gone, even low calorie/low fat. I hide stuff and I do forget about it but then my brain kicks in and just wants to eat all the food. I always go over on my fat intake. It literally sickens me that I have no self control.

Lighten up breakfast and lunch. Have a big dinner late.
  • MayaLove1
    MayaLove1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. :embarassed:
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Bluntly, because you don't have the willpower. We all struggle with it. Try changing up your behavior. Maybe eat a smaller lunch and a bigger dinner so you aren't hungry before bed, or eat dinner closer to bedtime so you have less time for a nightly binge.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    This sounds a lot like me. I do that more because I am am bored. I am good until around 10pm and then I usually wreck it. I fell hungry, and go upstairs and eat a bagel, ice cream or whatever is in the house. Not having it around is not the answer for me as my wife likes to have this stuff. I need more self control, or find something to do to keep my mind off of things.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Try adding in some healthier replacements
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    soooo.........you like to eat meat?

Oh c'mon ! somebody had to say it
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    get rid of the crap so its not near you to eat,
    yep.
    simple.
    do it.
    and if you want to come over and drink some wine with me
    that would be good

QFT! I have to do this, too. If I want crap I have to walk over to the grocery store across the street to purchase the item.

I'm a hedonist. I had to sell my car and buy a bicycle to insure I exercised every day. I know it seems extreme, but it works. A lifetime of failure has proven to me that I have to kick my own *kitten* if I want to reach my goals and take any temptation to slack away from myself.
  • BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I did (still do occasionally) the same thing. GO TO BED. It's the one thing I found that stops me from doing it & got me accustomed to not having it. I had to get used to it, so it was an early bedtime for about 2 weeks before I finally knocked it off.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Have been there myself. Switching my meals up and amounts have changed it for me a bit but I still struggle, especially with junk in the house.. Also I find that if I exercise later at night then come home and have dinner I'm not as inclined to eat a lot at night. I'm tired from the workout just want to eat shower and go to bed earlier. I do make my dinner before I go workout so I have it ready when I come home and if im still hungry ill grab fruit or eat a salad. Good luck
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    In the end, only you can figure out why you're eating. Are you setting your calorie goals too low? Not drinking enough fluids? Are you eating out of boredom? Emotional eating? Once you figure out why you're doing it you're a lot closer to combating it.

Keep yourself busy in the evenings. Replan your meals to leave calories at night for a snack.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Lighten up breakfast and lunch. Have a big dinner late.

Best answer! I do this too. More than half my calories are ingested after 6pm.
  • 127ismygoal
    127ismygoal Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response guys, I do buy healthy alternatives and I don't buy any crap, it's just the amount of healthy food I consume. Also I'm lactose intolerant but my bf isn't and he likes cheese in his sammies and I buy it for him then eat it anyway. That's just an example but I don't wanna just go and say NO you can't have cheese because I shouldn't have loads of it. You are totally right it is my will power.

I tried having a smaller breakfast and lunch but I get too tired, I'm a teacher and I need lots of energy in the day.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I would make room earlier in the day for some snack food at night. then have some good snack choices around. by good, i don't necessarily mean veggies. maybe try 100-calorie popcorn. or some cheese sticks. but make sure they are portion controlled items. I sound like a broken record...but one of my go-to foods is Protein Plus-Peanut Flour. Pure protein, and one-fourth a cup is 110 calories. mix the one-fourth cup with a little water and make a peanut butter paste...add salt or stevia for some added flavor (depending on your sweet/salty mood).
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response guys, I do buy healthy alternatives and I don't buy any crap, it's just the amount of healthy food I consume. Also I'm lactose intolerant but my bf isn't and he likes cheese in his sammies and I buy it for him then eat it anyway. That's just an example but I don't wanna just go and say NO you can't have cheese because I shouldn't have loads of it. You are totally right it is my will power.

I tried having a smaller breakfast and lunch but I get too tired, I'm a teacher and I need lots of energy in the day.

Yeah don't do that. It takes practice, and "out of sight, out of mind" goes a long way. If he must have it in the house, put it somewhere that isn't easily seen by you.
  • Uselessly_Irrelevant
    Options
    Are you eating enough during the day and drinking enough water? It's completely anecdotal, but the only time I ever binge is when I don't have satisfying meals during the day. I find that meat (for me hamburger and steak) really make me feel satisfied and full. I also eat a ridiculous amount of broccoli and baby carrots, but you can substitute for whatever vegetable you enjoy. Fatty foods I find help my appetite too. I eat a peanut butter sandwich and literally as much water as my stomach can hold at night if I'm feelin like I might go on a bender, and then distract myself and the urge usually goes away.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    You could always just wait and eat towards the end of the day. Otherwise it's really just a willpower issue.