Frozen Berries

Options
Now that we are getting to that time of year, where the fresh fruit is expensive and not the greatest quality. I was going to buy some frozen fruit.

Need some idea's on how to use them, other than just eating them frozen (since they usually don't thaw well IMO).

Replies

• happyindian
    happyindian Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    make shakes and smoothies. They are healthy and easy to make.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Maybe in smoothies? Also, in baked goods that call for berries (muffins, pancakes, etc.) or as a sauce.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to make them palatable. The texture bothers me, but I imagine smoothies would take care of that issue.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    my hubby's go to breakfast is greek yogurt, frozen berries and granola.

I also boiled them down with a little sugar for a fresh jelly for my morning toast
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i put them in my oatmeal
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Smoothie - 1 cup berries, 1 cup almond milk and one scoop Visalus protein powder - best smoothie ever!!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Frozen berries in all my smoothies. It is a daily thing for me.

I have a NutriBullet and love it. Makes things so easy .. recommend it to everyone. Way better than a Vitamix.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You can use the berries in baked goods, but dust them lightly with flour first so that they don't sink to the bottom of your batter. They will stay better distributed if they are dusted in flour.

Smoothies and ice cream or yogurt are great too!

You can purée frozen fruit for mixed drinks, to add to yogurt or to drizzle on ice cream or pancakes as well.
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I like to take frozen Raspberries and microwave them til warm and pour over pancakes,yum.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Smoothies or in overnight oatmeal.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I freeze bananas and strawberries all of the time. Bananas because I loveeeeee them in a chocolate protein shake (try it if you haven't. Taste like a Frosty from Wendy's)

Strawberries last a long time in the freezer. I have some in there I got around September that are still usable. Like other's have said, in smoothies is wonderful. You can also thaw them out and add them to things like yogurt/cereal.

Berries are wonderful but they are getting pretty expensive (sadly) so freeze em up!