Storing ground turkey... Have a ques plz....

Options
hi
I am having some friends over on Sunday evening (oct 31)...and planning to make some turkey burgers...i bought some ground turkey on Friday evening (oct 29)- it was in the refrigerated section of the grocery store... And the unopened pack says .... "use or freeze by nov 8"

So I have kept it in the refrigerator since Friday and plan to use it tomorrow on Sunday ...

But now my BF is telling me to trash it as it mig have gone bad coz I did not freeze it... Is it true?

I just thought it would be easy to add onions etc to it and make patties out of it if I don't freeze it :(

Should I trash it now?

Thanks

Replies

• twinsfan1976
    Options
    It will be fine. Those packs are vacuum sealed and won't be spoiled.
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If the package is labeled use or freeze by 4 days from now, and your fridge has been working. You're fine. Meat can keep in the fridge 3 or 4 days at my house uncooked (and we have a really old one from the early 80s, so I'm sure if yours is newer it's better). If it smells wrong when you go to cook it, by all means throw it out, but as long as you cook it in the next couple of days, you should be fine.
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    Personally, I would use it as long as it doesn't have a weird smell and hasn't turned dark. As long as you cook it to the proper temperature (165) you should be fine.
  • melnman2
    Options
    yea you'll be fine as long as it doesnt have any discoloration u shld be okay
  • spicygal123
    Options
    Thank u! :)
  • michy_mimi
    Options
    I agree with the above but always say "When in doubt throw it out!" If you think it looks or smells bad then why take the risk?
  • boogie17
    boogie17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    its still good.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    If it says use or freeze by Nov 8 then you have til Nov 8 to use it - or freeze it. It does not say use if frozen by Nov 8.
  • paulettebe
    paulettebe Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You should use it by Nov. 8th. If you don't use it by the Nov. 7th then I would freeze it.