HI! I beat cancer, now I'm beating my weight.

Hi guys! Bit of backstory, I'm a 24 year old male from Wales in the UK. I've been big all my life but a few years ago, I decided to change that and managed to lose 4 stone (56 lbs) in about six months. It was the best I've ever felt and I wasn't even finished. Unfortunately, a few months later, at the age of 22, I was diagnosed with cancer. I was facing six months of chemotherapy. As part of that treatment, I had to take a steroid. This, combined with a lot of comfort eating, meant that I ended up putting back on all the weight I'd lost and more.

I'm now two years in remission and doing well, but the weight is still there. Finally, I decided it was time to stop feeling sorry for myself and embark on this weight loss journey once more.

My goal, aside from the weight loss, is to eventually run a 5K and raise money for some of the wonderful charities and organisations who helped me through a tough time.

New friends, support and advice is always welcome :)

Replies

• Glad you're doing well! Welcome to MFP. You got this, man!
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Full of win.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Wow, great stuff mate! :) I started running for a local Children's Hospice this year, it really motivates you. Keep going, mate, you're a legend already :)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    So happy to hear that you are doing well! Welcome and good luck to you!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Hi! I love how you beat it. My mum did too about 25 years ago. I don't like it being called remission. I'm not sure if I take it the wrong way or not but I prefer the beat it part because it's GONE. I'm not taking more friends but if you want me too let me know and I will. Big hugs. You got this! The weight part is the easy part. Walk a bit and lift heavy things then just eat a bit less of the things you love. Do not give up any foods you enjoy.. road to failure. :flowerforyou:
  • Thanks everyone for all your lovely comments! I'm only three days into my journey but I'm already so excited for what's to come :)