I lost my motivation because of anti-depressants.

Options
I have always had no problem maintaining my weight, but I need a change. i'm in the process of trying to lose 30 pounds, which I've been eating better and exercising a lot! I'm only 20, so my metabolism and health is in good shape right now. I burn 300 calories of exercise a day, and eat 1300. :) But, this week my doctor put me on Paxil for my severe anxiety, and I was so happy. I finally sought help for my problem. My happiness was halted as soon as I got home and read about how everyone said that they gained so much weight on Paxil even though they took care of themselves. I need this medication, but am losing motivation quickly due to fear of gaining weight because of what everyone else has said. If I lower my carbs, only drink water, lower my salt intake, work out 5 days a week for half an hour and continue to only eat 1300, will I gain weight on this medication? Gaining weight will only make my anxiety worse.

Replies

• tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've taken tons of drugs--including anti-anxiety meds--that can cause weight gain. However, none have ever caused any weight gain in me. Everyone is different--there is no point in worrying about something that hasn't happened yet, and may not happen at all. Not everyone experiences the same side effects.

Even if you do see weight gain, which could certainly happen, 1) you still can likely loose weight (less anxiety may eventually increase your motivation--it often takes a while to start seeing the long-term effects of these drugs) and 2) if it becomes a major issue you can discuss with your doctor about switching to something different. It is SUPER normal to experiment with different anti-depressants until you find the best one for you. Also, you may start having a different attitude about your weight and body once your mood has improved, so you may find this whole issue less of a big deal.

It's only been a week. Give it time. Eat enough food. You can't rush this stuff. And try not to read too much about other people's side effects on the internet or you'll drive yourself crazy. :)

Good luck with your anxiety, I know it blows. It took me several YEARS to find a drug combo that works but for me, but super worth it.
  • 1092kl
    1092kl Posts: 19
    Options
    Hello, I just turned 21 so we are around the same age. I started taking Paxil in Oct. 2012 and I gained 51 pounds in six months. I started losing weight right away after I was taken off of it. I wasn't able to lose weight at all while I was taking Paxil :/ But now I have lost around 30 pounds. Anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medications are tough to deal with. I wish you the best.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    The medication is not going to make you gain by itself. The weight gain usually occurs when you get a mood lift and, if a symptom of your depression is loss of appetite (it can be the opposite in some people such as myself), when the drug starts working, people get their appetite back again. When people start to enjoy food again, they won't regulate their intake right away because they either don't notice to increase in appetite or they are just happy they have a desire to eat again so they eat whatever they crave (and it's probably not veggies and protein shakes, I'd say it's pizza and fast food and sweets most often).

Just track everything meticulously, use self-discipline, and get some exercise if you can. I'm on similar medications and I'm losing (everyone's different, but you know...). It's not a surefire thing that because a listed symptom is weight gain, that you will gain weight. Drug companies have to list every possible side effect known, so if even one person gains weight in any given medication during human drugs trials or after it's on the market, you will see "weight gain" as one of the possible side effects.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I took Paxil for years (I like Lexapro better and take that now). I never gained any weight from it at all. I've never gained weight from any antidepressant. If you do have any side effect that does not clear up within a couple of months or is too disturbing, just tell the doc you need to try a different antidepressant.

The first one you try really might not be your 'favorite', lol. I had no problems with Paxil except that Lexapro sounded better for me, really (2 of my relatives had super results on it). There are so many different ones that you should feel comfortable trying them on for size, imho :)
  • harminzer
    Options
    I have been taking Cymbalta for depression and arthritic pain control and Klonopin for anxiety. I take a biologic injection called Enbrel twice weekly as well as Crestor and Lisinopril for my circulatory function. I am much older, but I agree with the statement below. Everyone is different I have lost 30 lbs in 90+ days while continuing all of my meds. The right meds will help you get better but it will take time and a great deal of patience. As far as food and exercise goes each one applied according to your needs will help you lose the weight you want and restructure your life. You are way too young to suffer so much. Believe in yourself. Best of luck.
    I've taken tons of drugs--including anti-anxiety meds--that can cause weight gain. However, none have ever caused any weight gain in me. Everyone is different--there is no point in worrying about something that hasn't happened yet, and may not happen at all. Not everyone experiences the same side effects.

Even if you do see weight gain, which could certainly happen, 1) you still can likely loose weight (less anxiety may eventually increase your motivation--it often takes a while to start seeing the long-term effects of these drugs) and 2) if it becomes a major issue you can discuss with your doctor about switching to something different. It is SUPER normal to experiment with different anti-depressants until you find the best one for you. Also, you may start having a different attitude about your weight and body once your mood has improved, so you may find this whole issue less of a big deal.

It's only been a week. Give it time. Eat enough food. You can't rush this stuff. And try not to read too much about other people's side effects on the internet or you'll drive yourself crazy. :)

Good luck with your anxiety, I know it blows. It took me several YEARS to find a drug combo that works but for me, but super worth it.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have always had no problem maintaining my weight, but I need a change. i'm in the process of trying to lose 30 pounds, which I've been eating better and exercising a lot! I'm only 20, so my metabolism and health is in good shape right now. I burn 300 calories of exercise a day, and eat 1300. :) But, this week my doctor put me on Paxil for my severe anxiety, and I was so happy. I finally sought help for my problem. My happiness was halted as soon as I got home and read about how everyone said that they gained so much weight on Paxil even though they took care of themselves. I need this medication, but am losing motivation quickly due to fear of gaining weight because of what everyone else has said. If I lower my carbs, only drink water, lower my salt intake, work out 5 days a week for half an hour and continue to only eat 1300, will I gain weight on this medication? Gaining weight will only make my anxiety worse.

You are not doomed to gain weight just because you are on Paxil. Some people do. Some don't. Paxil doesn't cause weight gain by itself... meaning that as far as we know, its not actually altering your metabolism and making you pack on the pounds. It is more likely that Paxil increases appetite. If you track what you eat, you should be able to maintain or lose without any problems.

You are asking a lot of "if's" and nobody can really answer them for you. If you lower your carbs... if you only drink water.... Don't obsess over this. :) Carry on. Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Exercise. But don't give in to panic or desperate schemes. Just keep doing what you're doing.

If you do gain weigh on 1300 calories/day, then talk with your doctor. There are other meds.