"you look sick"

Options

Replies

• LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Yes! & it's comments like that that made me so self conscious of my new body. If anything I was more self conscious when I was thinner than when I was overweight. But without people telling me this, I wouldn't have turned to heavy lifting. So in a way I'm kind of thankful.
  • ghiagirl893
    ghiagirl893 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't think most people see sick people enough to know. My sister lost way too much weight using drugs, and looked sick. It was obvious it was from the drugs. My fatherr has recently lost way too much from chemo. He looks obviously sick. Even the girls that I would mumble 'anorexic' under my breath look way healthier than my sister did or my father does. You look great! People are either just jealous or shocked. Tell them to shut it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    In my 20s, I once went from 299 to 227 less than a year, not even really on purpose, by drinking tons of Diet Coke and eating just eggs, mushrooms, shredded cheese, steamed rice with pepper and butter on it, and spring rolls. Very few calories and no exercise at all. EVERYONE thought I looked sick. I even thought I looked sick. My eyes were bugging out like Christina Ricci's but that isn't what I normally look like.

I've now gone from 307 to 262 over the course of about 3 years, and then 262 to 209 in the past 8 months. Counting calories, eating a huge range of food (mostly healthy but lots of treats too) and exercising. No one has said I look sick this time at all, and I don't think I look it either.

However, my husband went from about 400 lb to 220 lb when he was younger (and has kept it off for a decade) and people STILL tell him he looks sick. He is a pale, redhead guy and when he was 300+ lb he always had a very red, ruddy complexion and people aren't used to his nice creamy, barely rosy complexion when he is thinner. Also he's smaller, of course. :-)

I wouldn't worry about it if you are healthy!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I get it from overweight family members. I reply: "I am sick. Sick of being fat and feeling like *kitten*."

People of normal weight always congratulate me and say I look better and happier.
  • tinacrane
    tinacrane Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes, indeed. Got called in to my dean's office after loosing 30 pounds: to make sure I didn't have cancer or something :embarassed: . Now, I hear 'you are too thin', 'don't loose any more weight'- and yes at my age (56) certain skin is now kind of wrinkly where it used to be smooth:sad: . I have decided I am ok :indifferent: with smaller, more wrinkled arms, ab and neck if I am healthier and feel good; even if it is a bit aging.
  • Daws387
    Daws387 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've heard this too. By any chance, are you still wearing the same shirts and jackets (or same size) you wore when you were heavier? That could really exaggerate your weight loss to other people, especially when they remember you wearing the same thing before you lost weight. When I started losing weight I had to go shopping for new pants obviously, but also shirts too, it was crazy that I actually had to get size small for some types of shirts.

If you haven't already, try purchasing some tighter fitting clothing, it may offset the "sickly" perception that you garner from some people. But more importantly...you may like how you look in them, and you may be fascinated by the idea that you could wear such a small size and look good.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've been told that I look sick and a few family members have made wise-*kitten* remarks about me having an ED, which I don't find particularly funny. They'd throw a damn hissy fat if I said something like "You look like you should have your own gravitational pull," so I don't think it's very respectful or considerate of them to make comments about me being thinner.

The reality is-how you look, how much you eat and how much you weigh is really none of their business. As long as it's healthy, I say screw 'em. Chances are, the people making such comments would probably benefit from looking at themselves in the mirror before passing judgment on others.
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have made the comment when my sister lost a lot of weight very quickly by starving herself. She looked tired and ill. Since then she has started eating better and exercising and she looks slim and healthy with a youthful glow.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Just tell them "Nah, I'm not sick, it's just a normal side effect of all the crack and meth". Bet they don't comment again.
  • cass_wilson
    cass_wilson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Love the sick of being sick and fat! I have to remember that
  • NikiaSue
    NikiaSue Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I've had the "What have you been doing to lose weight?" in a manner that insinuates drugs are involved. Just love it.:noway:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've had the "What have you been doing to lose weight?" in a manner that insinuates drugs are involved. Just love it.:noway:

Even at 200+ I am getting that from a couple of people, too. WTF
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Oh, I remember the days when I was fit enough for fat people to tell me I was looking sick or too thin. *sigh*. In reality back then I still had love handles and was about 11% bodyfat. That was 12 years ago though. Maybe someday I'll get that same compliment again.

I would really take it as a compliment or jealousy. Assuming you aren't ACTUALLY too thin. Negative people HATE it when other people succeed.
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's amazing the rude comments people feel they can make to someone who has slimmed down. I was asked if I lost weight on purpose or if it was because of an illness. lol. But I have been asked/told a lot of rude things. I try to brush it off. Obviously a lot of people don't know what a healthy weight is.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Never been told that
  • _SantaClause_
    _SantaClause_ Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Imagine the confusion when I am no longer fat.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I get it too.
    If I know the person well and/or just don't feel like getting into it I have, in the past, simply shrugged and said "I think maybe people forget what normal looks like."

If I know the person less well and don't give a **** what they think, I just say "Yeah, I eat less food and run alot. seems to be working out OK." and then brush them off.

I'm more healthy and fit than I've been since high school. The only person that gets their input on my health considered is my wife. Screw anyone else.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have had a few people say that to me. They are all people who have known me for years but never seen me weigh less than 200 lbs. Now that I am 170, they say I am too skinny and that other people have asked them if I am sick.

The last time it happened, I told them that my health markers indicate that I am the healthiest I have been in years, and my doctor is very impressed with my progress.

ETA: I also told them that I probably eat more in a day than any of them to maintain my new weight due to my activity level, so they need not be concerned.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I had that from a client. She told me: "You've lost weight...was it intentional? You look very...gaunt. I thought you were sick."

Pleasant woman :noway:
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I was told I looked like a Holocaust Victim LOL

It was at the time I hit goal and my skin was still trying to catch up. So I looked worse than I was.