What do you eat before a morning workout?

Options
I workout at 5 am every morning and usually don't have more than a cup of coffee. I was wondering if it is better to eat before or after a workout? or should I just drink a protein shake on my way to the gym? I alternate between weight training and cardio on some days and just cardio on other days. I am trying to build more muscle while loosing fat and do up my protein intake on weight training days.

Replies

• svioli
    svioli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a 1/2 banana and a protein shake about 30 minutes before (4:30 AM!).
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person... so you might need to do a lot of trial and error to see what works best for you and what you like. I don't eat at all before morning workouts. Unless it is a long run, then I will have a bar and also pack some gels to take on my run. But if you are only working out for about an hour or so, you don't NEED to eat before hand. IMO
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat anything if doing weights. If I'm doing intense cardio I will sometimes drink a couple sips if juice or eat 1/2 a banana. I can't eat much or I feel sick. I'd figure out what works best for you.
  • jsaturn127
    jsaturn127 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I either eat two egg whites microwaved with no oil and a little hot sauce and a mini whole wheat bagel, or plain oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a banana. I hold off on the coffee until I am done, recovered and hydrated. Then I eat a tuna pack mid morning to get me through till lunch.
  • CTONDO
    CTONDO Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Since you wake up so early it probably makes it difficult for you to eat anything. If you are up at least 30 minutes earlier than your work out time you should eat a little something. Fruit, yogurt, or you could even have a small glass of juice.
  • syk731
    syk731 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I run every morning first thing after waking up. I do not eat before I work out. I do fine with it.
  • Kingacat
    Options
    I exercise early in the morning before work. I usually have a couple of bites of a banana anymore and I'd probably be unwell at the gym. I take my breakfast protein and fruit drink to work. My trainer said it's best to have breakfast within 30 minutes of exercising.
  • khurrambutt
    khurrambutt Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I went for walk or play football at 8 a.m and I don't eat anything before going
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Breakfast. Granted my gym doesn't open till 7.45 and I have to go to work straight after.
    But I have 2 slices of homemade bread, an omelette (2 egg whites 1 whole egg, spinach, cottage cheese and parmesan) a tomato and a white coffee :)
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Yoga is best done on an empty stomach, so nothing but have my muesli, soymilk and cup of tea afterwards.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    In most cases it is good to have some sort of carb before a workout just for some energy. I would not reccomend going when your real hungry. You need some energy or you may not push yourself very hard.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I think this is personal preference.

I don't like to eat anything within 2 hrs of starting a workout. Since I normally workout early in the morning, I tend to grab a couple of cups of coffee and then get my breakfast in after.

It really depends what you're going to do. Run 20 miles? Upper body day? Surfing? Brisk walk? If you're going to do something long, then something in the tank would most likely be a good idea. Could be something as simple as a banana though...
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Just a coffee. I have a smoothie when I get back, so within 20 minutes of finishing with protein powder and my breakfast too. By then I am really needing the fuel and by whizzing up my smoothie I get a pretty quick hit
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    For me it doesn't matter that much. My previous day's meals seem to matter more than something I eat an hour or two before working out unless it's something like Gatorade (fast absorbing carbs).

If I eat a lot of carbs the day before, and do a leg workout the next day I feel great. If I do a low carb day the day before a leg workout, even if i eat a fibrous slow absorbing carbs such as oatmeal an hour or two before the workout, I feel drained. Yet eating a large fibrous slow absorbing carb meal in the morning, something like 5 to 7 hours before a workout might help. And of course simple fast absorbing sugars will spike your blood sugar and give you energy.

Of course I take caffeine before a workout in the form of pills or coffee, and sometimes mix ephedrine in with it as a preworkout.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have a protein smoothie...super good, healthy and quick.
  • wprice1945
    Options
    I'm a new member of Anytime Fitness Gym (since Oct 8, 2013) and I work out six days a week. Since I'm diabetic, I have to watch my carbohydrates, fat, starch, and sugar intake. Diabetics need breakfast before workouts because blood sugar can drop dangerously low. I do okay with drinking an 11-oz carton of AdvantEDGE Carb Control Rich Dark Chocolate shake with a microwaved breakfast of substitute egg whites to which I add in a few bacon bits or diced ham, fresh sliced mushrooms, fresh spinach leaves, fresh salsa, and some parmesan cheese (or reduced fat cheese). Since I like 'hot' peppery food, I also add salt, black pepper, a few hot pepper flakes, and hot sauce just before eating. If I want, I'll add in other spices I like. I am switching from the AdvantEDGE shake to the Anytime Fitness Gym Whey Protein shake mix in a few weeks because it will be a higher protein source and help boost my energy level throughout my one-hour workouts. My Coach recommended I include fresh fruit (apple) with my breakfast because its natural sugar is lasting and helps with energy too. If I want a change from the egg white omelet, I have another breakfast...Nonfat Greek fruit flavored Yogurt to which I add in 1/4 cup of Food Lion Oats n More dry cereal and it has granola w/honey and almonds. It's crispy and good tasting.
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I find that as I am closing in on my goal weight I have to change things up from time to time or I will hit a plateau. I am not diabetic (although when I was at my heaviest I was borderline) but I do have Hashimoto's hypothyroid disease. The reason I asked was because on some days I feel like I can go forever and on others it's a struggle to just get out of bed. Since I don't go to the gym on weekends till after 7am (when they open) I try to eat breakfast but sometimes I find it harder to workout. I've also been reading a lot about how to eat to build muscle and have seen that many people try to have a protein shake before and after a workout. I tried that for a few days and felt so bloated it made working out very difficult.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Would also just echo what Mrsallypants said about the previous day having an impact on my performance more than anything else. Certainly if I did not eat enough (or the right balance) I struggle to even get out of bed (although I have no real reason bar laziness and my bed being so warm)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    coffee
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If it's early nothing.. meal timings don't matter in the grand scheme of things. If certain foods make you feel better then eat them.