Binging on healthy foods

Options
Hi everybody!

So I've been having a problem recently when it comes to overheating healthy foods;more specifically fruits. I find that I eat way too many fruits for one day, because I love almost all fruits. I like to reassure myself that I am not overeating because these foods are healthy. But now I'm wondering if this is affecting my weight loss, and if it Is possible to gain weight from eating too much fruit? What are your opinions on this? Thanks

Replies

• Of course it's possible. You could gain weight drinking diet coke if you drank 3000 cans , as that would be 3000 calories.
    If you're going over your allowance then yes it will slow down your weight loss, if you're going over TDEE then yes you will gain weight.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    We are designed to gorge on fruit when available. Be aware that fructose doesn't trigger satiety signals like other sugars do.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as too much fruit, unless you eat so much that it gives you a stomach ache. Humans were designed to be fruit eaters; that is our most preferred food.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Overeating is overeating, donuts or fruit. At the end of the day it's about how many calories consumed. Fruit do have a decent amount of calories.
  • Bnewman410
    Options
    I was interested in the question as well... I love eating fruit and often wondered if the natural sugar was to much... Glad to hear it's not!! :)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    If you overeat, the body doesn't care whether you perceive it as "healthy" or not. Eating more than you burn causes weight gain, irregardless of what it is.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Overeating is overeating, donuts or fruit. At the end of the day it's about how many calories consumed. Fruit do have a decent amount of calories.
    Try overeating on donuts for a week, and overeating on fruit for a week, and tell me which one makes you skinnier?

Our bodies have satiety mechanisms that make it almost impossible to overeat on whole, natural, unprocessed foods. You could stuff your face with fruit, and sooner or later you would say something like "I'M STUFFED! NOT ANOTHER BITE!". If you stuffed yourself on donuts, or any refined concentrated nutrition-less food, you would not trip your body's satiety mechanism before eating too many calories.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Try overeating on donuts for a week, and overeating on fruit for a week, and tell me which one makes you skinnier?

Our bodies have satiety mechanisms that make it almost impossible to overeat on whole, natural, unprocessed foods. You could stuff your face with fruit, and sooner or later you would say something like "I'M STUFFED! NOT ANOTHER BITE!". If you stuffed yourself on donuts, or any refined concentrated nutrition-less food, you would not trip your body's satiety mechanism before eating too many calories.

And a person who admits to binging probably is overriding their default mechanisms.
    Too much food, healthy or not, is a caloric surplus. I'd be tempted to agree with you
    if it were green vegetables or the like.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Just went to check your diary to see what you mean by "too much fruit". You've logged once in the past 5 weeks, and you had Mcdonalds. Back in October, your diary has Red Bull, fast food and potato chips. It's pretty hard to help you here.

If what I've seen is typical then no, you're not eating too much fruit.

In general, yes it is possible to eat too much fruit, of course it is. It's also possible to completely undereat your daily calories if you fill up on fruit.

Also be slightly aware of the effect fruit sugars have on you, they're not the most stable way to control your mood, appetite or satiety all day.
  • Rocbola
    Options

And a person who admits to binging probably is overriding their default mechanisms.
    Too much food, healthy or not, is a caloric surplus. I'd be tempted to agree with you
    The point is, that at roughly 200 calories per pound, you can't overeat on fruit. You will get full first. Look around nature, who struggles with obesity issues? Only the species that eats artificially concentrated foods.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

The point is, that at roughly 200 calories per pound, you can't overeat on fruit. You will get full first. Look around nature, who struggles with obesity issues? Only the species that eats artificially concentrated foods.

I'm sure lack of movement and the convenience of obtaining food has nothing to do with it.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    My personal experience is that I get two servings of fresh fruit a day. I don't eat canned or dried fruit. I do through frozen berries into my smoothy or a yogurt parfait now and then. I eat a lot green vegetables (raw). But I find I get hungrier at night if I do more than two servings a day.

There are a thousand ways to lose weight, and if you are eating the right amount of calories, you will lose weight. With fruit it may slow you down or trigger overeating. My advice is to go a whole day with no fruit or even 2 days. Then add back one serving and see how it effects your eating pattern. I find that citrus, and apple or berries don't trigger any overeating, while bananas and watermelon do. By overeating I mean I finish eating one banana and want another one. So I tend to those only in delis, or restaurants. I am firm believer in "no seconds" at meals for me.

Full disclosure - I went without fruit the entire time it took me to lose my weight and then added it back. Slowly.
  • Rocbola
    Options

I'm sure lack of movement and the convenience of obtaining food has nothing to do with it.
    Right, cause we are the only species that has access to food. (sarcasm)

(sarcasm off) We are the only species that artificially concentrates our food.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

Right, cause we are the only species that has access to food. (sarcasm)

(sarcasm off) We are the only species that artificially concentrates our food.

That went right over your head...didn't it?
  • JulieeeeJ
    Options
    Fruit is good for your body, but when you're trying to loose weight its also about the amount of food you eat. Fruit and other healthy things are better for your body instead of eating junk food and sweets. But as said, you need to reduce the intake of fruits (food as matter of fact)
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Eating too much of anything can do this. 3,000 calories worth of bananas is still 3,000 calories. I wouldn't worry about it though as long as it fits in your macros. Fruit is wonderful and good for you! Enjoy the fruit.