ATKINS DIETERS ?

Options
im currently on my 2nd phase and i realy find it hard to not crave carbs and chocolate :(

i did have an Atkins bar but its just a bit pricey here :(

is there anyone here on atkins diet ? i need support and motivation :(

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You crave carbohydrates because that is your fuel. Dr. Atkins was well over 200lbs when he died, and had atherosclerosis.

If you have netflix, please look for a documentary called "Forks Over Knives", it just might save your life.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You crave carbohydrates because that is your fuel. Dr. Atkins was well over 200lbs when he died, and had atherosclerosis.
    I'm no supporter of low carb diets but you're just reinforcing the myths about Atkins. He actually was 195 pounds when he was admitted to hospital. The 258 pounds is the weight he put on in hospital die to treatment. There is no evidence that his diet had anything to do with his death. The only actual cause of death is quoted as a head injury due to a fall and complications there of.The rest is speculation put forward by different interest groups.

If you want to put across ideas about other diets trying to discredit one approach with dodgy information is not the way to do it. I'm a vegan so have no agenda to promote Atkins.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/doctor/atkins.asp
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    All these posters making up bs about low carb diets really do need to go do some proper research and look for scientific studies not people's opinions from blogs and such.

Surprised you are getting cravings, When I hit a keto diet by day 3 I have no cravings at all for any crap.
  • haifa23
    haifa23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    All these posters making up bs about low carb diets really do need to go do some proper research and look for scientific studies not people's opinions from blogs and such.

Surprised you are getting cravings, When I hit a keto diet by day 3 I have no cravings at all for any crap.

whats the difference between Keto diet and Atkins ? aren't they both low carb but high fat and protein diet ?
  • KojiBakuto
    KojiBakuto Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    im currently on my 2nd phase and i realy find it hard to not crave carbs and chocolate :(

If you crave chocolate try this recipe: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2013/07/dark-chocolate-sea-salt-almond-bark-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html

There are only 2 NC.

There are many others you can find if you google Low Carb Dark Chocolate.

What is your current NC level and what kind of foods did you add?
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Join us at the Atkins Support Group. Go to the Groups tab to do that. How much artificial sweeteners are you using, diet soda, and Atkins bars? If you use more than the equivalent of 3 packs a day, it can cause carb cravings. 8 ounces of diet soda is the equivalent of one pack. Diabetics are now being advised to not use Splenda for research has shown it affects the body like sugar and causes insulin spikes which lead to carb cravings.

People are so ignorant about low carb. They have no idea what they are talking about. If carbs aren't available, the body burns fat for energy and brain function. Atkins diet is very low carb the first 2 weeks only, then you begin adding back foods and carbs if you do the plan correctly. The diet is low carb, medium protein, and high fat - fat is to come from good fats such as avocado, olive oil, nuts, a little butter, salad dressings. It is now being used to treat PCOS, people who have seizures and even diabetes. The ADA changed their stand on low carb 3 months ago and gave their approval.

It would be helpful if you opened your diary so we might see how to help you more.
  • KojiBakuto
    KojiBakuto Posts: 2 Member
    Options

whats the difference between Keto diet and Atkins ? aren't they both low carb but high fat and protein diet ?

Ketonic diets are used to treat the symptoms of children with epilepsy. The Atkins diet is a ketonic diet for the purpose of loosing weight.

With Ketonic diets to treat epileps, you have to stay on them long term and it they stop the symptoms may come back.

Keto diet in the bodybuilding world is a cyclical diet where you have days with little carbs and days with carbo loads to optimize muscle building. They are usually called CKD (Cyclical Ketonic Diets)

With Atkins, you stay in the ketonic phase (20 NC) for 2 weeks to jump start weight loss and then slowly add carbs (5 NC per week) until you find a level that allows you to lose weight and then maintain when you have reached your target. At the end of the Atkins diet you are back to eating fruits, whole grains, legumes and root vegetables as long as you stay within your NC target. There are foods that are basically forbidden like sugar, white flour, white rice and fries.

NC = Net carbs = carbs - fiber.