There are really abs under my belly fat. Need help!

Options
F/113lbs/19/5'2

My genes have specifically placed all unwanted fat on my tummy. For real. Every other body part of mine is thin (in a good way). It's only my tummy that pops out. And I know there are 'formed' abs because I can feel it. AND I know that everyone has abs, but mine is evident when touched. Unless that's actually how tummy fat is. Uh-oh. But it has been YEARS and I haven't been able to get rid of the belly fat. I've done numerous programs such as Insanity (>1mo.), Barre (with pilates; 1mo.), tennis, etc, with a diet. My diet's usually a low carb, high protein diet. With a cheat meal/day/weekend.

RIGHT NOW I'm really trying to dedicate myself to lose 13lbs (Because 100lbs was my normal weight since forever).

I'm planning on working out every morning (or whenever I have the time during the day) using the Seven Minute app and if time/circumstances permits (because I have class), I'll do more than 1 circuit of 7 mins. + the low carb high protein diet.

What do you think?

(My body is kinda like this. or bigger tummy huhu. Pic from google images hehe) http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/Rena1965/2d2152fb.jpg

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    5'2" and 113 lbs are not terrible stats. However, 5'2" and 100 would have you looking leaner.

Stick with planks, cardio workouts, and tennis. Eliminating those cheat days would probably help your cause.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I utterly disagree with DMZ-1. Were I you, I'd be doing more resistance work and creating the deficit through diet rather than extra cardio. Steady-state cardio is catabolic by nature, and as you're quite close to your goal you want to retain as much muscle as you can while losing the last bit of fat you want to get rid of. Squats (particularly front squats), deadlifts, pull/chin-ups, dragon flag negatives, and a small amount of eccentric/concentric work like hanging knee raises or weighted sit-ups.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I utterly disagree with DMZ-1. Were I you, I'd be doing more resistance work and creating the deficit through diet rather than extra cardio. Steady-state cardio is catabolic by nature, and as you're quite close to your goal you want to retain as much muscle as you can while losing the last bit of fat you want to get rid of. Squats (particularly front squats), deadlifts, pull/chin-ups, dragon flag negatives, and a small amount of eccentric/concentric work like hanging knee raises or weighted sit-ups.

I don't disagree that some strength training is in order. I'm not sure that she isn't already doing that. I think doing a mix of strength training and cardio is a good move. When I said what I said, I was just emphasizing that cardio should be retained.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    you only did insanity less than a month? abs don't happen in a month.

if you want abs and you want to keep them then you need to stick with exercise
  • Huffdogg
    Options

I don't disagree that some strength training is in order. I'm not sure that she isn't already doing that. I think doing a mix of strength training and cardio is a good move. When I said what I said, I was just emphasizing that cardio should be retained.

Whereas I don't think any steady-state cardio should be retained. Assuming that one's goal is purely aesthetics, the cardio benefits of lifting are plenty for everyday life and if you have the self-control to properly manage your deficit, it's literally just a catabolic waste of time and energy.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

Whereas I don't think any steady-state cardio should be retained. Assuming that one's goal is purely aesthetics, the cardio benefits of lifting are plenty for everyday life and if you have the self-control to properly manage your deficit, it's literally just a catabolic waste of time and energy.

So can either of you outline the routine and diet you are on that give you an amazing set of abs?

I've got an 18 mile run I'm about to go on so I should be back online a bit later today. I'm getting close but could still use some pointers.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    It really all depends on your goals, doesn't it? It's pretty hard to prioritize strength, endurance, athletic performance, AND aesthetics. You have to pick one or maybe two to concentrate on.

Self-control is really the beast to conquer here. If that's handled, the rest is details.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    F/113lbs/19/5'2

My genes have specifically placed all unwanted fat on my tummy. For real. Every other body part of mine is thin (in a good way). It's only my tummy that pops out. And I know there are 'formed' abs because I can feel it. AND I know that everyone has abs, but mine is evident when touched. Unless that's actually how tummy fat is. Uh-oh. But it has been YEARS and I haven't been able to get rid of the belly fat. I've done numerous programs such as Insanity (>1mo.), Barre (with pilates; 1mo.), tennis, etc, with a diet. My diet's usually a low carb, high protein diet. With a cheat meal/day/weekend.

RIGHT NOW I'm really trying to dedicate myself to lose 13lbs (Because 100lbs was my normal weight since forever).

I'm planning on working out every morning (or whenever I have the time during the day) using the Seven Minute app and if time/circumstances permits (because I have class), I'll do more than 1 circuit of 7 mins. + the low carb high protein diet.

What do you think?

(My body is kinda like this. or bigger tummy huhu. Pic from google images hehe) http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/Rena1965/2d2152fb.jpg

Honestly, that ISN'T fat...and we really cannot see muscle definition ( or lack thereof) in a side picture.

*I* am FAT...and I have abs.
    I have seen the best result with minimal cardio (like 25-30 minutes of treadmill per day at 65% of my max HR) and lots of strength. By strength I mean front squats, back squats, assisted pull ups, leg press and much more. I don't even track calories right now!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You want to watch getting too thin (I don't know how that works at your height, lol). I have to get way too thin to have the last little bit of belly go away, so I don't do it. I could add a ton of muscle and then get a really low BF%, I guess, but that's also not a training plan I enjoy because of the BF%, again. Either way, my boobs go first, so think of that, too, if your body does the same.

That said, I think most people think women look great and fit even with some softness on their bellies here and there. My suggestion is to grow the muscles you do have. Go for weights, seriously. Then you show enough 'abs' that folks know you are fit :) The little tiny fat pads aren't really a big deal to anyone, I don't think. Just don't go all crazy getting too thin everywhere else, you know? If you've always had some softness there, even at 100 lbs, definitely go for working with the muscle aspect of it most, imho.
  • cyork10
    cyork10 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    you only did insanity less than a month? abs don't happen in a month.

if you want abs and you want to keep them then you need to stick with exercise

Sorry to be a stickler, but the original poster said Insanity (>1mo.). >1mo=longer than 1 month.