Stupid question, but serious answers?

Options
Ok...please don't be harsh on this newbie, but does a person burn more calories awake instead of sleeping? I remember as a kid my father HATED when my sister and I laid on the couch or slept extra long. He told us to sit up and get up. Do you burn more calories sitting up rather than laying down? I'm doing pretty good with my weightloss, I'm just wondering if there are small things I can tweak like less sleep, sitting upright, etc. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Yes, when you sleep you're pretty much just existing at your base metabolic rate. The very act of being upright requires more fuel, moving around requires more yet and if you do something more strenuous more yet.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mokey, but don't get less sleep in an effort to lose weight, you need regular sleep. The recommendation is between 7-9 hours every night. If you get less sleep, it affects your hormone production and makes weight loss more difficult.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I do get the proper amount of sleep. Usually in bed by 10pm and up at 6. I went to bed at 10 last night and I have been up since 5. I'm trying to justify me being up early saying "at least your burning more calories"...albeit just a few extra. Are there any other small changes I can make? Park farther away, take stairs, things like that?
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Yes but going by what my bodymedia armband has told me I get a better burn rate while awake when I get a good night of sleep (8 hours) The key is to just stay active when you are awake. You burn more calories a minute if you are moving.
  • lilbuddha007
    lilbuddha007 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Otherwise while you're sleeping you're not eating. Every weightloss blog I've ever read says to be sure you get 8 hours of sleep. Of course I've never followed their advice on that point, but yeah. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    "Awake" activity will always burn more calories than "rest", however it's still basically going to come down to calories in/out. What I will say is that rest burns more body fat than actual physical activity (which first will tap any glycogen storage). So rest is very important to fat loss as well as overall health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • menatschin
    Options
    Not enough sleep can also raise Cortisol levels too which is not great for fat loss.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I know when I don't get good rest, my body is a little draggy throughout the day. Therefore less calorie burn. Rested I am energized and motivated to move and exercise. I also smile more, and that is always a good thing.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Not enough sleep can also raise Cortisol levels too which is not great for fat loss.

This. You need your sleep but when you're awake you can burn more by being active ie standing, walking.. Even fidgeting burns extra.