Nutrition on a budget?

Options
Hi all, as a poor student/startup person who decided to fork over a good sum of money for a well-equipped gym within walking distance to my place (gyms aren't cheap like in the US), I'm pretty much on a budget for food.

I was wondering if I can stick to really simple stuff, like chicken breasts as the main meat/protein source 80% of the time, with the other calories revolving around various fresh vegetables, sauces and spices that can be bought for cheap. I'm not sure if chicken breasts will give enough nutrition (iron anybody?) but it's certainly a lot cheaper here and less of a hassle to cook! I'm also too poor/I don't like the idea of taking supplements, so does anyone have any recommendations on things/vegetables to eat?

- nuts like unsalted almonds are imported here and way out of my budget. $13 for 1 small pack of nuts here.
- avocadoes are pretty price $10 for 4, but I might be able to squeeze in some small amounts
- locally grown things like water spinach are dirt cheap.
- strangely, things like broccoli and tomatoes are pretty pricey!
- chicken kidneys are pretty cheap too
- milk and cheese products are kinda expensive except the ones in cartons...

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Since local veggies seem to be super cheap, buy those.
    Chicken livers are high in iron. Most animal offal is a cheap and nutritious source of protein. I strongly recommend you include those in your diet.
    Eggs are generally cheaper than meat wherever you live.
    I'd buy a small amount of the cheapest dairy you can get once a week or so to make sure you're getting some calcium in.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Bananas are dirt cheap. Also, making a big veggie soup in a slow-cooker is a really in-expensive way to get some veggies in.
  • natalieyeo39
    natalieyeo39 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions! :))

@rocbola: I'm living in the country that grows bananas! While they are indeed cheap they are sold by the bunches 8-12 and are HUGE! I weighed one and it was 200+ gram without the skin. Small ones don't exists where I love :( and I can't really bear buying a bunch and letting 3-4 rot away in my fridge every week...and they are pretty high in carbs anyway. I do love bananas though...

@carniv0rus: oh yeah! Calcium! Chicken liver are awesome seared and slightly uncooked inside though I do love sweet potatoes as well so the vitamin A% on MFP can freak me out, like 700% of vitamins A on 200g of sweet potatoes, what if you add chicken liver to the mix 0.o

eggs are indeed cheap but one downside is the shells and I have to eat them at home. The last time I brought eggs to class for lunch, I got lectured by 2 different people that eggs are high in cholesterol yada all that stuff and I didn't know how to defend myself without sounding like a prick knowitall. =\ and does anyone find that eggs kind of stink up the fridge? Hmm
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Reading these cheap protein threads has me thinking about how differently priced food can be even state to state. For example, in my state or even just my area, local produce is expensive unless your go to a local farmers markets at the very end of the day you sometimes get lucky and they lower prices to get rid of their produce. This is always hit or miss. Frozen produce is always cheaper then fresh, and canned is the cheapest.
  • natalieyeo39
    Options
    Reading these cheap protein threads has me thinking about how differently priced food can be even state to state. For example, in my state or even just my area, local produce is expensive unless your go to a local farmers markets at the very end of the day you sometimes get lucky and they lower prices to get rid of their produce. This is always hit or miss. Frozen produce is always cheaper then fresh, and canned is the cheapest.

Woah is it organic produce or something? :O doesn't really make sense! Here in Manila, some local produce are expensive because they are fragile and transportation from the countryside to the city. Frozen imported stuff always get a heavy import tax making it more expensive. I've lived in a farm for a week before and it was probably the best wholesome food I've ever eaten (even if my aunt can't cook) :(
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Woah is it organic produce or something? :O doesn't really make sense! Here in Manila, some local produce are expensive because they are fragile and transportation from the countryside to the city. Frozen imported stuff always get a heavy import tax making it more expensive. I've lived in a farm for a week before and it was probably the best wholesome food I've ever eaten (even if my aunt can't cook) :(
    ok, so you are in manila?
    How are the bulk stores there?
    I guess I never paid attention to the price everytime I visit due to the currency xchange. I would just get it from wherever.

I remembered in baguio thats where all the tastiest fruits are lol and thats far away.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Poor student/terribly paid part-time worker here: I have about $30/week tops to spend on groceries. I rely on fruits and veggies that are in season (and therefore usually cheaper), frozen fruits and veggies when not in seasons, oats, beans, eggs, and chicken. Soups are now your new best friend, since they're a great way to use up veggies are a bit wilted, plus it stretches them for longer. You can throw some beans in there and you've got a complete meal. It can be done, but it takes thought, planning, and knowing your prices/shopping around.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions! :))

@rocbola: I'm living in the country that grows bananas! While they are indeed cheap they are sold by the bunches 8-12 and are HUGE! I weighed one and it was 200+ gram without the skin. Small ones don't exists where I love :( and I can't really bear buying a bunch and letting 3-4 rot away in my fridge every week...and they are pretty high in carbs anyway. I do love bananas though...

@carniv0rus: oh yeah! Calcium! Chicken liver are awesome seared and slightly uncooked inside though I do love sweet potatoes as well so the vitamin A% on MFP can freak me out, like 700% of vitamins A on 200g of sweet potatoes, what if you add chicken liver to the mix 0.o

eggs are indeed cheap but one downside is the shells and I have to eat them at home. The last time I brought eggs to class for lunch, I got lectured by 2 different people that eggs are high in cholesterol yada all that stuff and I didn't know how to defend myself without sounding like a prick knowitall. =\ and does anyone find that eggs kind of stink up the fridge? Hmm

Hi,

The 'vitamin A' supplied by sweet potatoes are actually precursors, not true vitamin A, like what's found in liver. In order to convert the beta-carotene to vitamin A, you need to eat the sweet potato with some sort of saturated fat. It baffles me why beta-carotene is listed as vitamin A when it really isn't. But eating both liver and sweet potato won't make you sick from Vit A overdose (unless you eat like 3 pounds of the stuff).

As for the eggs, if you soft boil them they usually don't smell so strongly. The sulfur-y smell is magnified by overcooking. OR you could make egg salad or a dish that includes egg but with other ingredients.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    What I do with bananas is freeze them. I would split those in half and freeze them, maybe dip them in dark chocolate for a sweet treat. also if you have a blender they are great for smothies.
  • natalieyeo39
    Options
    [/quote]
    I guess I never paid attention to the price everytime I visit due to the currency xchange. I would just get it from wherever.

I remembered in baguio thats where all the tastiest fruits are lol and thats far away.
    [/quote]

Yes I'm in Manila!

I have no idea, I don't go into bulk stores since I'm not lookin into bulking up (not BB brah) and I haven't even been to Baguio yet! Hoping to go in dec *crossing my fingers*
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely recommend chicken and eggs! Also, there is a ton of iron in spinach- so that can fix that problem! Green leafy veggies are an awesome source of all those vitamins. Perhaps there are some veggies you can grow yourself, or at least some herbs to have available. And that banana sounded DELICIOUS!!
  • natalieyeo39
    Options
    Poor student/terribly paid part-time worker here: I have about $30/week tops to spend on groceries. I rely on fruits and veggies that are in season (and therefore usually cheaper), frozen fruits and veggies when not in seasons, oats, beans, eggs, and chicken. Soups are now your new best friend, since they're a great way to use up veggies are a bit wilted, plus it stretches them for longer. You can throw some beans in there and you've got a complete meal. It can be done, but it takes thought, planning, and knowing your prices/shopping around.

That's like 4 bucks a day. And you can still get food with good nutrition and protein? You are a hero.
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Was a student once to(class 2008) but of the top of my head the following are just some of the items i used to buy with my budget of $50 Australian dollars -

Corned beef, Tuna, Sardines, Red Kidney Beans, Baked Beans - great for recovery after workout and even cheaper if canned.

other

Macaroni and cheese snack packs.
    Wholemeal Bread, Wholegrain Bread. Basically anything made from wheat flour, buns, rolls etc.
    Dried apricots.
    Dried prunes.
    Weetbix
    Skim milk.
    mixed frozen vegetables
    and white rice.

i could not afford brown rice back then. Not sure how much it costs now days but i used to mix rice with a cup of mixed vegetables after a work out. Unpleasent at first because was never a vegetable fan but got used to it eventually. Plus was hardly sore after a work out.

If i had known too, i would have quit the gym back then and did body weight training instead. Recommend having a look into it, if your on a tight budget. Example of an app you can try is - freeletics. Plus there are plenty of sites dedicated to the practice of body weight training.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

That's like 4 bucks a day. And you can still get food with good nutrition and protein? You are a hero.

My budget is also $30 a week. Gotta get creative.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Yes I'm in Manila!

I have no idea, I don't go into bulk stores since I'm not lookin into bulking up (not BB brah) and I haven't even been to Baguio yet! Hoping to go in dec *crossing my fingers*
    Were you born and raised there or just moved there?
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Some, if not most of the local farmers cant compete with the large grocery chain stores so they have gone the "Organic" route so they can claim there produce is better and worth paying twice as much. Now the big chains are seeing a market for "organic" so they up their prices aswell. Its just sad. Im not young but im not old either, but i remember prices being more affordable and its getting tough for even a small lower middle class family to afford eating decent quality food nowadays. Another food that is absolutely more expensive to buy local is milk. I wanted to make cheese awhile ago so i tried sourcing 5 gallon jugs at local farmers raw and pastuerized. They wanted $6 usd per gallon. And that was a quote for 5 gallons+.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm in Manila!

Baguio is a great place It's like a whole different world than the rest of the Philippines. And it's cool up in the mountains; bring thick clothing!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

My budget is also $30 a week. Gotta get creative.

Exactly. Creativity and planning are key.
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi's grocery store around? I went shopping yesterday and got enough for a MONTH, for $30!