no weight loss in 2 weeks... heres what i wanna do

Options
so my thinking for getting out of this weightless Plateau is to stop counting calories until December first and then get right back to the low calorie diet/regular exercise to shock my body so that once i start up again ill lose weight with no problem. has anyone done this? has it worked? how did you over come it?

what are some ways to exercise during the cold winter months and how did you over come a plateau?? need seriouse help! i wanna be 120lbs by next september. i started at 166 and plateaued at 158. i was only walking for exercise. now i do jillian michaels 30 day shred every day and walk for 40 minutes every other day.

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not a plateau.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    If you are weighing your intake and eating at a deficit. Don't change anything. Two weeks is not a plateau. Weight loss is not linear. Be patient.
  • shirukitsune
    Options
    what is considered a plateau?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not a plateau.

This. Plus you are most likely not being accurate (weigh and measure everything).
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I think that 2 weeks is not a plateau...neither is 8 pds. Too soon for a plateau. Keep it up and if you don't notice a change again in a couple weeks then maybe adjust. Be patient!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    This is a really cool thread on how short plateaus are often still part of a downwards trend.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1098806-newbie-loss-plateaus-and-weight-loss-math-with-graphs
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    what is considered a plateau?

I count it as a plateau after 6 weeks.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'd stayed at the same weight for 8 months and figured it was where my body wanted me to be. Then I decided to do 30 Day Shred to change up things since my main exercise had been walking. After a couple weeks I began to drop the pounds again and lost an additional 12 pounds over the next couple months. So adding a new workout routine should help so just be patient and carry on!
  • Shagios
    Shagios Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi......
    A couple of questions.
    1: what does your food intake look like?
    2. How long have you been doing Shred?
    I personally would not stop counting calories, you will put that 8 lbs back on quicker than you can blink and when the holidays are over the only thing in shock will be you. If I were you and I'm sure I will be coming to this point quite soon, I would continue to count and expect nothing over the holidays. But I will maintain what I have already worked so hard to lose.
    If you have only been doing Shred for a few weeks that is probably why you are seeing no weight loss on your scale....give it time.
    Also count every crumb you put in your body and be honest. None of us can see it so you have to be your own guard on that front.
    A plateau is only a plateau if has been about a month. You will not continuously see the numbers drop every day.
    Don't be discouraged, it is wicked hard. Go play with your new baby and rejoice in her and keep at it :-)
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Just my experience but I wouldn't stop counting. In March I got discouraged after losing from 165 down to 158. I wanted things faster and didn't want to stall. ( wish I could go back and wake me up) I was looking up eating more and decided to increase my calories from 1200to 1300 to try and go slow. Then I thought I would just break from counting. In June I weighed 183. The break tumbled out of control. I have been back since October at 1500 calories and eating exercise calories back. I am working on weight training along with cardio and I am losing 1lb a week. The week of my period my weight was up but I am averaging 1 lb a week. So my advice would be adjust what you need to but don't stop. Loosing slowly or maintaining is way better than gaining. I am 5'3 and now 174 and excited to be back in the 150's again sometime this March and this time I plan to keep going and get to my goal at the end of next year.
  • Halfdome11
    Halfdome11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree that stopping your calorie counting is probably the WORST thing you can do right now. Look at the whole battle, which is going to be the rest of your life. I have started and stopped MFP a couple of times over the past three years, and each time I stopped, I DID NOT begin again when I "planned" to.

My recent success has been because I decided I would stick with this means of tracking what I eat . . . until I reach my goal - even IF I plateau. After losing 3 or 4 or even 5 pounds my first few weeks, I've declined to where this last week it was "just 1 pound". That was disappointing, but then I reminded myself that 1 pound a week is still 50 less in a year. You MUST divert yourself from the short term and develop a LONG term mentality!

Your mind might be telling you it will "shock" your system, but your mind is your BIGGEST enemy right now! I find myself thinking all kinds of things when I'm struggling. The most meaningful victories you will have will be sticking to what works when it doesn't SEEM to be working! That's when you're most vulnerable, and when you need to bear down harder. It's NOT the time to stop!

Changing up is not a bad idea, however. Our bodies easily adapt to new calorie levels and exercise regimens. Adding the "Shred" is good, but remember this, exchanging fat for muscle might make it look like you're "treading water" on the scale, but you could still be making progress. Are you measuring yourself? It would NOT be a bad idea to weigh yourself less often - every two or three weeks - if a "slow" scale is getting into your head. Just DON'T STOP counting those calories - in the long run, it WORKS!
  • shirukitsune
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 cal. I probably could start measuring food more. I'm on day 5 of the 30 day shred
  • Sapphire1812
    Sapphire1812 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Agree that it's probably the introduction of a different exercise... common for muscle's to retain water. Ignore the scales for the time being and measure yourself... might be the same number on the scales, but bet with exercise those muscle's will get more slender over the course of a few weeks or so.

Also maybe check your calorie intake. Sometimes if you start doing more exercise or increase the intensity, you need to eat more calories. Like a car needs fuel on a longer journey, our bodies may need slightly more calories if we start being more energetic. If you're not doing so already, where your diary says "Exercise calories earned"... try eat some of them.

Stick with it though and those scales will catch up in the end! :smile:
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're feeling. My first week, I was up and down the same three pounds. Then, I lost five more in a few more weeks, but all week, i've been gaining and losing the same stupid pound. I am trying to eat more calories (I'm working out a lot and not eating enough), but I think this plan will work. Look how many people on here are successful. I think not counting calories would not help you through the holiday; you'll probably gain and then give up because you'll feel badly about it. Try to maintain your calories and save them for your dinner if you think you'll be eating a lot. I know I'm going out with my sister and I already have planned what I'll eat since we're ordering from a special holiday menu. So, I'm reserving those calories for that day and will probably have a light breakfast and lunch to keep room for it.

I wish you luck, and don't get discouraged! It's very easy to do, and I feel your pain, but hopefully soon you'll lose more. I think switching your exercise could help...
  • ItsaNewDawn
    Options
    Stopping calorie count is not a good idea...at least not in my opinion. If you want to shake it up a little try some tabata interval training. Google it, there are some vids on YouTube as well. I have found that both cardio and strength training have continued my weight loss. Be sure that you are eating enough to maintain the workouts that you are doing as well. If not your body will think that you are starving it and will hold on to what you have. Its difficult to find the balance. I recommend that you find a way to measure what you are burning HRM, fit bit, bodymedia armband and go from there. Again I would advise against stopping the calorie counting. Accountability is key to success!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    you probably are not eating enough in general being on 1200 cals
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 cal. I probably could start measuring food more. I'm on day 5 of the 30 day shred

Since you started a new exercise recently, you're likely retaining water. It'll go away, just be patient. Also, yeah, 2 weeks isn't a plateau.