Do you eat all your calories required daily?

Options

Replies

• jenpinkrn
    Options
    I am a 5'6" female and eat about 1700 calories a day NET and lose weight. You say you are trying to gain, yet you are eating less then I am. That will not work.

I am going to be blunt. The fact that you eat so little thinking you will GAIN on that is a bit concerning and raises red flags. As does the idea of "mind over matter". Are you under the care of a doctor?

Oh wow another shocking push-back!
    Nope not under the care of a doctor.

Keep it up and you will be soon. Then you'll get your calories though an IV. Hope the protein powder helps you out.
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    I am a 5'6" female and eat about 1700 calories a day NET and lose weight. You say you are trying to gain, yet you are eating less then I am. That will not work.

I am going to be blunt. The fact that you eat so little thinking you will GAIN on that is a bit concerning and raises red flags. As does the idea of "mind over matter". Are you under the care of a doctor?

Keep it up and you will be soon. Then you'll get your calories though an IV. Hope the protein powder helps you out.

Thanks and what do you mean by IV?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Here is another push back...5 ft 7 1600 and I lose weight..while lifting weights...

My son can eat 4200 calories a day and maintain....mind you he is taller but really....1600 calories.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    It's getting your mind to wrap around what you're eating. Try calorie dense foods like nuts, avocados, cheese, dairy, etc. Your mind will be able to wrap around the smaller portion sizes (rather than trying to eat bales of kale with little calorie benefit), and you will get higher calories through eating them. Increase amounts as necessary, as you will most likely have to increase to gain weight. Probably more than what you're going to initially feel comfortable with. I'd also suggest being under the care of a doctor specializing in nutrition. Gaining weight in a healthy way can be just as difficult as trying to lose weight in a healthy way. They'll be able to help guide you.

Good luck!
  • AbidKhan99
    Options

Here is another push back...5 ft 7 1600 and I lose weight..while lifting weights...

My son can eat 4200 calories a day and maintain....mind you he is taller but really....1600 calories.

Damn... Thanks again guys! :D
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Outta curiosity, how tall are you?

If you are trying to gain, you really do need to eat up to the caloric expenditure.

Exercise calories may be inaccurate, but assuming they are 0 (which is what not eating them back is) is even more inaccurate. There are a couple of decent ways to go about this. The easiest way, if your exercise is consistent on a weekly basis, is to just set a calorie target based on your average exercise. The other way is to enter a percentage of your calorie burns. Either way, you should monitor and adjust.

For example: You set a calorie target. You eat up to that target for 1 month. At the end of the month, you observe that you have gained 1.2 lbs. Since this is about .2lbs/week less than your desired rate of gain, you should increase your calories by 200/day. At the end of the next month, check again.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

If you are trying to gain, you really do need to eat up to the caloric expenditure.

Exercise calories may be inaccurate, but assuming they are 0 (which is what not eating them back is) is even more inaccurate. There are a couple of decent ways to go about this. The easiest way, if your exercise is consistent on a weekly basis, is to just set a calorie target based on your average exercise. The other way is to enter a percentage of your calorie burns. Either way, you should monitor and adjust.

For example: You set a calorie target. You eat up to that target for 1 month. At the end of the month, you observe that you have gained 1.2 lbs. Since this is about .2lbs/week less than your desired rate of gain, you should increase your calories by 200/day. At the end of the next month, check again.
    The OP has already stated that they are an 18 year old male, 5'-7" and 94 pounds... (6 stone 10 pounds)
  • AbidKhan99
    Options

I am 5ft 7
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I am 5ft 7
    By the way, we're both male, 5'-7", and lightly active (maybe moderately).
    The only difference is that I'm 168 lbs. and 52 years old.
    I LOSE weight at 2000 calories per day. Eat more!
  • susannamarie
    Options

The OP has already stated that they are an 18 year old male, 5'-7" and 94 pounds... (6 stone 10 pounds)

Dude, that was in a different thread.

OP, after reading your other thread -- you really need to see a physician who specializes in eating disorders. Call your GP and see if you can get a referral. You are extraordinarily underweight - enter your stats here - http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm - and you will see that your BMI is 14.7. You would need to gain almost 25 lbs to even hit the bottom end of healthy weight.

Being this skinny carries all kinds of health risks. Here's a specific example - http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/Obesity/23681. I quote "In the lowest category, BMI of 15.0 to 18.4, the risk of death was increased 47% relative to the reference range (95% CI 33% to 62%)." You will note that you are lower than their lowest category.
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    Wow guys, thanks.
    I am slowly gonna increase caloric intake maybe by 200 each week, then sort out a stable diet etc...
  • susannamarie
    Options
    Wow guys, thanks.
    I am slowly gonna increase caloric intake maybe by 200 each week, then sort out a stable diet etc...

Increasing is a good start.

But please call your GP and tell him how much you weigh and your height (assuming that you're in the UK by the use of stone). My ex was in the UK and his GP was all kinds of worried when he was 6' 4 and 10 stone. He can hook you up with a dietician to help you out with an eating plan better than us on the internet.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for today guys,
    I am probably gonna buy some protein powder for that extra protein/calorie intake.
    why not go for real food? if you aren't vegan/vegetarian then tuna, salmon, eggs, chicken, lamb, beef, yogurt are pretty delicious and have good protein . if you are vegan/veg then lentils, nuts, quinoa, nut butters, tempeh are good too
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Yep was gonna just weigh out what food I got home and track it in like that, but I luckily found it on MFP!
    And thanks guys, is it me or do you guys not eat back your calories burnt because you believe they are innacurate?

If you @ deficit the aim is not to eat them back - if you want to get big you eat them back!

While for the OP this is correct for those trying to actually lose not gain this doesn't seem to be the best advice!
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    I don't like consuming too much foods through out the day and would feel better by drinking shakes etc...
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    :)
  • YixuanTang
    YixuanTang Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 20yrs old, eating around 1800~1900cals a day and still losing weight slowly
    i don't do lots of cardio, just heavy weight training.....
    never ever eat less than 1500 a day, that's rule. LOL
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    Damn haha, I am going to 1600 and see how that goes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't I...food rocks...I eat around 2800-3000 calories per day to maintain. Also, properly fueled workouts are awesome....and muscles are pretty sweet and stuff...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    Damn haha, I am going to 1600 and see how that goes.

I thought you said you were already eating 1600 calories a day.
    Please work on increasing above that. You're severely, dangerously underweight. If protein shakes are what it takes, have protein shakes. But right this minute, go have a few spoonfuls of peanut butter and a glass of full-fat milk. Or something that's calorie-dense. Please.