It's really starting to wear on me. How do I stop it

Options

Replies

• elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I could have written that myself. It's been 1.5 years since I started. Ask me at any moment of the day and I psychologically want to eat. I never get a "satisfied" feeling.

I'm taking a week off this week because the mental energy needed to stay on track is getting to me. I don't know if this will turn out to be good idea or a bad idea. Thoughts?

I also eat 5-6 meals a day. I'm wondering if intermittent fasting would help. I was thinking of experimenting with eating most of my calories in one evening meal so that I could "pig out" and not endlessly feel deprived. Thoughts?
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Have you tried increasing your caloric intake? The closer you get to goal, the closer you should be eating to your TDEE. Maybe it's your body trying to tell you something.

Not saying this is the issue, but it might be worth a shot.

I know I'm eating too few calories since I'm close to goal and I've been bumping it up 10 - 20 calories a day.
    But. I'm usually not hungry when I'm craving food anyway. Donno.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Makoce, when you are obsessing about food/meals/eating what sort of language do you use in your internal dialogue?

I know it is going to sound so incredibly silly, but it the following works surprisingly well. We often tell ourselves CANNOT. I CANNOT eat yet. I CANNOT have this to eat. In using CANNOT type thoughts we are denying something we are telling ourselves we want. It sets up a back and forth argument with ourselves.

Instead of thinking about food and attaching CANNOT/denying thoughts (if you are following that trend), trying using DO NOT and a reason for it. I DO NOT want to eat at this time BECAUSE I am not truly hungry, it exceeds my goal, etc. I DO NOT want to have this food BECAUSE it is full of poor calories (sugar, chemicals, etc).

I started out CANNOT and switched over to DO NOT. Works surprisingly well. Some days it took singing it out loud in the shower much to my girlfriend's chagrin, but what the hell. It worked.
  • pepeleo
    pepeleo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think it is more of an issue of you telling yourself you 'can't ' have it, which in turn wil make you obsess about it more. When we think we can't have something we then want it more. So, put it in your head 'I don't want it'. Replace 'can't ' with 'don't '.
  • pepeleo
    pepeleo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with you totally.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're aware you can add more meals to your day in your food diary. I do this and have six meals planned out including a 2nd breakfast, afternoon snack and late night snack. I'm not sure when you are eating your snacks but maybe if you lay them out like this all thruought your day at the most logical and opportune times to eat them you will be able to allot each one the appropriate amount of calories to stay satiated and munching throughout the day. I have to eat like this or I will get headaches. It sounds like you might benefit from lots of eating opportunities thru the day for boredom or stress I guess. ANyways it's not bad for you as long as you divide your cals right and the times don't matter either. If I know I'm gonna be up late coming home from a party or something I leave myself at least 200 extra cals because I'm a late night snacker if I'm up late and if I didn't get to have that little something I'd be up at night obsessing like you just described. because i'm just hungry. and a little snack takes care of it. it works. try it. :flowerforyou:
  • jayladey
    Options
    do you have any hobbies?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Makoce, when you are obsessing about food/meals/eating what sort of language do you use in your internal dialogue?

I know it is going to sound so incredibly silly, but it the following works surprisingly well. We often tell ourselves CANNOT. I CANNOT eat yet. I CANNOT have this to eat. In using CANNOT type thoughts we are denying something we are telling ourselves we want. It sets up a back and forth argument with ourselves.

Instead of thinking about food and attaching CANNOT/denying thoughts (if you are following that trend), trying using DO NOT and a reason for it. I DO NOT want to eat at this time BECAUSE I am not truly hungry, it exceeds my goal, etc. I DO NOT want to have this food BECAUSE it is full of poor calories (sugar, chemicals, etc).

I started out CANNOT and switched over to DO NOT. Works surprisingly well. Some days it took singing it out loud in the shower much to my girlfriend's chagrin, but what the hell. It worked.

Cognitive therapy: changes how you think then changes how you feel then changes how you behave. make sure your thoughts are realistic and factual and not exaggerated. For instance "I'm STARVING, I haven't eaten since dawn!!!" might become "Actually I had an apple and cheese at break I forgot about, so really I'm just eager for lunch which is only 30 minutes away, water/tea/juice/milk/etc. can hold me." . write and rearrange them if you must. it can help a lot.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,699 Member
    Options
    Every 3 months, I take a total diet break. Net at maintenance (still log) for one or two weeks. I find it refreshes both my mind and metabolism.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I'm always thinking about food. It's a pain in the A.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Every 3 months, I take a total diet break. Net at maintenance (still log) for one or two weeks. I find it refreshes both my mind and metabolism.
    I'm doing this right now and hope it helps.
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When somebody has lost as much weight as you have, her body is likely secreting a hormone called ghrelin. Go Google that and read up on it. What it does is it sort of turns on the "I'm starving" reflex in your body and does as you are saying, makes you obsess about food until you gain the weight back.

One thing that really helps me a lot - and you don't have to be much of a cook to do this - is to keep a big pot of really healthy soup, usually vegetable, in my fridge at all times. Any time I am REALLY hungry, as opposed to "my wouldnt a donut be good," I can zap a cup of that soup in the microwave and that will eliminate the starving feeling 9 times out of 10. Guilt free.

Good luck and hang in there. It gets better.
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself it's okay to be hungry. When I do this I acknowledge how I'm feeling without giving in to it. This may not work for everyone, but it works for me.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    Please research the terms 'satiety' and 'umami'.
    Some foods are naturally more satisfying,
    and will keep you from feeling psychologically hungry.
    Another good research topic is
    'cravings and food allergies'.
    Cue the music : The More You Know!"

Best wishes!
  • DesireeH
    DesireeH Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do that too- where I really focus on a specific meal, or something that I haven't had for a while, and in the end I end up blowing my diet- or at least continually thinking about it. It does get annoying after sometime.

I am working towards being a neuropsychologist- and psychologically speaking we have learned behaviorally in our society to treat ailments with food: boredom, depression, lack of stimulus, feeling tired (that is the one that really affects me), stress, etc. those voids tend to be treated temporarily with food. When you are having these thoughts about food, take a step back and look at everything else that is going on around you. Are you upset? Bored? If you can target a consistent trend (I typically obsess about certain foods when I'm bored), then you can prepare yourself for it later.

Most of the readings that I have read say to indulge for just a small amount- say limiting yourself to one cookie, half of a sandwich, etc. Another idea is to have a large glass of water, wait 15 minutes and see how you really feel. If you really are hungry, listen to your body.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're not really hungry? I mean, some of it might be boredom/psychological/something, but you're only netting 1200-something calories a day for at least the last week (that's as far back as I looked) and I don't know your stats, but I'd guess that you're probably eating less than you really need and that's what's making you obsessive about food.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    When you feel hungry, rate it on a scale of 1 to 10.

Anything less than an 8 means you're not hungry.

I know I'm not hungry. Not even a 3.
    But I still obsess.

Ok. Then it's a choice. Everything is a choice.

Your choices are:
    1. Stay with your calories
    2. Get fat

Sorry there's no silver bullet.
  • Halfdome11
    Halfdome11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's great that you have been successful to the degree you have at your age - fantastic job! I began to have weight issues at your age, after being a very normal-sized kid and teenager. I wish I had done what I'm doing now way back then.

As a guy - with two daughters a bit older than you - I'm obviously NOT going to have the same challenges/experiences you'll have as a young woman. I can tell you this - it will be a life-long endeavor, this dealing with eating. I don't say that to discourage you - I firmly believe you can win out over the thoughts, doubts, obsessions!

What I do think is worth sharing, however, as hard as it seems now, is that it will only get harder - IF you let go and return to your prior patterns. NOW is the best time to conquer the issue - it will never get any easier. Whether you're now fighting boredom, feeling deprived, dealing with depression - you've done the hardest part in losing the weight. This is now the next phase of your battle - take it on with the same passion and dedication that made your first phase so successful!

I know the feeling where FOOD is your constant thought! It's a necessary part of our lives and can have a powerful influence over us. The thing that I think is helping me most at this point (I'm down 50 pounds, but that's only 1/4 of what I want/need to lose) is CONSTANTLY telling myself that food is "fuel". I used it as a reward, to celebrate, to gain pleasure, etc., for so long, I've had to almost re-program my brain as to what food even is. After 6 months, I'm just now beginning to find my every waking moment isn't just about food.

But that hasn't happened by trying to distract myself - although keeping myself busy and occupied is very important. I've had to REPLACE one pattern of thinking for another. Trying NOT to think about something is almost impossible. You need to give yourself something to replace that thought with, and while watching a movie or reading a book can temporarily divert your attention, you need to actually put another thought in the vacuum you're trying to fill, or the original thought will just come back. For me, that has been redefining what food is. I'm not sure I can explain it any better than that. I wish you the best!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I agree that pre-logging food works well for people, but for some reason it made me stress about calories even more.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Go talk to a therapist.