What should I do at the gym?

Options
Hi all -- Just joined a gym -- first time ever. I had a personal training session today where I learned the importance of strength training but I just can't afford to keep up with the trainer. So, my question is, what do you do at the gym? What exercises do you find most beneficial. The trainer said that I should do a 5 minute warm up, 25 minute strength training, and 25 minute cardio. My confusion really is the strength training -- are those machines really good to use? I did a google search on an exercise routine but so far nothing. Also found out I had 40% body fat ... oh boy, I have a long way to go! Thanks!

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi all -- Just joined a gym -- first time ever. I had a personal training session today where I learned the importance of strength training but I just can't afford to keep up with the trainer. So, my question is, what do you do at the gym? What exercises do you find most beneficial. The trainer said that I should do a 5 minute warm up, 25 minute strength training, and 25 minute cardio. My confusion really is the strength training -- are those machines really good to use? I did a google search on an exercise routine but so far nothing. Also found out I had 40% body fat ... oh boy, I have a long way to go! Thanks!

How many PT sessions CAN you afford? I scraped together the cash for 6 sessions, and got hooked. ended up using a trainer 1-2x a week for 6 months.

What you can do is pay for a few sessions and ask the trainer to set up 2-3 strength workouts that you can rotate through.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    A trainer isnt necessary to reach your goals.

Look up stronglifts 5x5.
    Youtube form videos.
    Practice with a broomstick at home to make sure you got it.
    Maybe hire a trainer to check your form.
    Then ta da
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation for stronglifts or starting strength.
    Might also want to give this article a read through:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You can also try the nerdfitness bodyweight routine to get you started
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Have defined your personal goals?
    Short term, intermediate, longer term and life goals.

Those can help you find your way.

Congrats on getting started.
    Myself just joined a gym 5 weeks ago. 'Twas a good move to continue my weight loss effort.
  • 82jeh
    82jeh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out bodybuilding.com. They have a lot of useful info over there. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150759963