What??? I am OBESE???

Options
Hi everyone! I am 43 years old, female, and according to my BMI, obese! I knew I was overweight (mirrors don't lie) but I never considered myself "fat". I recently went to the doctor and my height was measured for the first time in a few years. I have lost 1 1/4 inches (in height!) since my twenties which bumped up my BMI to the "obese" range. Not by much, but talk about a wake-up call!!

I have been on a very long journey to become healthier. I stopped drinking 4 years ago. I quit smoking (after 28 pack-a-day years!) over a year ago. I have a physical disability (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome) making it very difficult to maintain an exercise regime. However, I work out when I can and I am now ready to tackle the extra weight I am carrying around from several years of creeping weight gain. I am taking the low-carb approach, while watching calorie totals as well. I have identified starchy carbs as the main culprit to my gain, as well as portion sizes. WHEW! I have made it past steps 1 and 2. Identifying the problem and finding a practical plan. Now, on to step 3; losing the weight.

So far, I have actually lost 7 lbs. I have a grand total of 45 lbs. more to lose. I had no idea I was carrying a 6-year-old around with me everywhere. No wonder I was so tired. So, without further a-do, wish me luck...I am goin in!!!

Replies

• janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Great to have you here. Best of everything on your journey, and congratulations on your weight loss so far! I think you'll find the community here to be fantastic.
  • nickielouise36
    nickielouise36 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    good luck hun.. i too need to lose a lot of weight.. atleast 4 stone.. feel free to add me .. will support u as much as i can xx
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Oh, Sweetie, the best thing you did for yourself is quit smoking. Brava!!!! It is so hard. I quit 22 years ago and still have cravings!. I wish you great things in your weight loss journey. It is all baby steps to healthy living. :flowerforyou:
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    in your profile pic, neither of those girls looks obese??
  • dovesouls
    Options
    Thank you so much for the recognition and encouragement! Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I have ever done but I believe I have kicked it out for good this time!
  • dovesouls
    Options
    Do you see why I didn't realize I was obese? I am the one on the right, my daughter is on the left. For a size comparison, she weighs 120 lbs and wears a size 5. It scares me a bit imagining what I am going to look like once I lose 45 lbs. I hope I don't look like the grim reaper. :)